Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

New Contest & Ask the Expert: Do you have questions about chemicals in everyday products?

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2010 at 12:22 PM
  • 71 Replies

Are nonstick cooking pans safe? Do you wonder if your beauty supplies are toxic? Do you have concerns that the everyday products you use are bad for your health? Nena Baker to the rescue--she'll be answering your questions! Nena Baker is the author of "The Body Toxic: How the Hazardous Chemistry of Everyday Things Threatens Our Health and Well-being."

Starting Monday August 30, Nena will be visiting the group all week long to answer YOUR questions about chemicals in consumer products, the health issues they can cause, and what you can do about it.

Everyone who asks a question will be entered to win a copy of Nena's book, "The Body Toxic."

Please post your questions as replies to this post. Nena will post her answers here as well.

Welcome and thank you for joining us, Nena Baker!

by on Aug. 20, 2010 at 12:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RanaAurora
by on Aug. 20, 2010 at 12:52 PM

Are there safe non-stick pans?

brwneyeddaisy1
by on Aug. 20, 2010 at 12:58 PM

All of the talk of this is healthy, this is not...that changes daily can be really confusing.  Is soy good for you?  How about Kefir?

smurfy88
by Jessica on Aug. 20, 2010 at 12:59 PM

I never knew non-stick pans weren't safe, why aren't they safe?

rkoloms
by on Aug. 21, 2010 at 7:58 AM

Quoting RanaAurora:

Are there safe non-stick pans?

Cast iron!

Robin in Chicago

momof3angela
by on Aug. 21, 2010 at 8:42 AM

How about alternative sugars?  How safe are they?  Which one/s are the safest?

RanaAurora
by on Aug. 21, 2010 at 10:53 AM

Quoting rkoloms:

Cast iron!

Cast iron isn't non-stick.

Ms. Baker, is there any particular shampoo lines you DO recommend?  How about mascara?

rkoloms
by on Aug. 21, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Quoting RanaAurora:

Quoting rkoloms:

Cast iron!

Cast iron isn't non-stick.

Ms. Baker, is there any particular shampoo lines you DO recommend?  How about mascara?

If your cast-iron pan is properly seasoned, food will not stick to it. http://planetgreen.discovery.com/food-health/cook-with-cast-iron.html

LPG31
by on Aug. 22, 2010 at 9:14 AM

Are the "fibers-that-don't-taste-like-fiber" found in many of the new yogurts and cereal bars safe or even beneficial? What if you are breastfeeding?

Elsasmom
by on Aug. 22, 2010 at 9:28 AM

I just noticed my coffee is decaffeinated with methylene chloride which doesn't sound too good to me:( What do you think? 

Thanks for answering our questions!

Elsasmom
by on Aug. 22, 2010 at 9:40 AM

How useful/effective do you find multi-vitamins? I know most people consider them good to take every day, but I've always been concerned with the high doses you get since most aren't found in such high concentrations naturally in food. So my question is, are we getting too much of a "good" thing by taking them regularly? And does some one who eats a good amount of fruits and vegetables really need to supplement anyway?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)