Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Ground Flax seed

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2010 at 11:35 PM
  • 19 Replies

So I got some today because you ladies talk so highly of it. What do you reccomend I put it in for starters? Does it have a strong taste?

by on Aug. 20, 2010 at 11:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsPilat
by on Aug. 20, 2010 at 11:41 PM

Just started it...to me it has barely any taste ; ) ...I put it in cereal and peanutbutter sandwhiches.

nikkib_3687
by on Aug. 21, 2010 at 12:17 AM

Yep, cereal, oatmeal, breads/muffins (if you make either), things like that. Oh, smoothies too.

Quoting MrsPilat:

Just started it...to me it has barely any taste ; ) ...I put it in cereal and peanutbutter sandwhiches.

smurfy88
by Jessica on Aug. 21, 2010 at 12:32 AM

can you put a little in like spaghetti sauces or soups?

rkoloms
by on Aug. 21, 2010 at 7:50 AM

Quoting smurfy88:

Yes. I also add it to smoothies.

One tablespoon of ground flax mixed with three tablespoons of water can replace one egg in baked goods.

For maximum health value and shelf life, keep them in the freezer, and grind as needed.

Robin in Chicago

Tinker_Jo
by on Aug. 21, 2010 at 9:08 AM

This is good to know! My dd is allergic to egg!

Quoting rkoloms:

Quoting smurfy88:

One tablespoon of ground flax mixed with three tablespoons of water can replace one egg in baked goods.

For maximum health value and shelf life, keep them in the freezer, and grind as needed.

smurfy88
by Jessica on Aug. 21, 2010 at 11:37 AM

I bough mine already grounded, do I need to keep that in the freezer too?

Quoting rkoloms:

Quoting smurfy88:

rkoloms
by on Aug. 21, 2010 at 6:06 PM

Quoting SeventiesChild:

Why the freezer? Can't i just keep unground seeds in the cupboard?

Quoting rkoloms:

Whole grains, like brown rice and flax seeds, get rancid easily, and keep best in the freezer

Robin in Chicago

rkoloms
by on Aug. 21, 2010 at 6:07 PM

Quoting smurfy88:

I bough mine already grounded, do I need to keep that in the freezer too?

Quoting rkoloms:

Quoting smurfy88:

I would

LeslieFaye
by on Aug. 21, 2010 at 6:24 PM

use it in place of bread crumbs.  In baking 3T flax seed replaces 1T oil.

I was just going to make a post about this but since we are already on the subjectI will just ask here.  I have been buying flax seed for a few years and it a brown color.  I recently picked up some at walmart and it is a very pale golden color. I looked at the bag and noticed it is "golden flax seed" I'm not sure what I had before.  Is there a difference nutritionally?  which do you buy?

rkoloms
by on Aug. 22, 2010 at 8:59 AM

Quoting LeslieFaye:

use it in place of bread crumbs.  In baking 3T flax seed replaces 1T oil.

I was just going to make a post about this but since we are already on the subjectI will just ask here.  I have been buying flax seed for a few years and it a brown color.  I recently picked up some at walmart and it is a very pale golden color. I looked at the bag and noticed it is "golden flax seed" I'm not sure what I had before.  Is there a difference nutritionally?  which do you buy?

I buy organic flax seeds in bulk at Whole Foods, and it is always a brownish color.

Make sure that is doesn't have an odor, as this could mean that it is rancid. I would definitely check to see if it is GMO

Robin in Chicago

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN