Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Margarine PIOG

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2010 at 6:28 PM
  • 19 Replies

I just read this in another group and wanted to share it with all of you

Margarine was originally manufactured to fatten turkeys. When it killed the turkeys, the people who had put all the money into the research wanted a payback so they put their heads together to figure out what to do with this product to get their money back. It was a white substance with no food appeal so they added the yellow coloring and sold it to people to use in place of butter. How do you like it? They have come out with so many clever new flavorings... DO YOU KNOW.. The difference between margarine and butter? Both have the same amount of calories. Butter is slightly higher in saturated fats at 8 grams compared to 5 grams. Eating margarine can increase heart disease in women by 53% over eating the same amount of butter, according to a recent Harvard Medical Study. Eating butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients in other foods. Butter has many nutritional benefits where margarine has a few Only because they are added! Butter tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the flavors of other foods. Butter has been around for centuries where margarine has been around for less than 100 years And now, for Margarine... Very high in Trans fatty acids Triple risk of coronary heart disease Increases total cholesterol and LDL (this is the bad cholesterol) and lowers HDL cholesterol, (the good cholesterol) Increases the risk of cancers up to five fold. L owers quality of breast milk. Decreases immune response. Decreases insulin response. And here's the most disturbing fact.... Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC.. This fact alone was enough to have me avoiding margarine for life and anything else that is hydrogenated (this means hydrogen is added, changing the molecular structure of the substance). You can try this yourself: Purchase a tub of margarine and leave it in your garage or shaded area. Within a couple of days you will note a couple of things: * no flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it (that should tell you something) * it does not rot or smell differently because it has no nutritional value nothing will grow on it. Even those teeny weeny microorganisms will not find a home to grow. Why? Because it is nearly plastic Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your toast? you can find more at my blog: http://naturalyyou.blogspot.com/

baby

by on Aug. 21, 2010 at 6:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LeslieFaye
by on Aug. 21, 2010 at 6:32 PM

we mostly use coconut oil but I would definitely choose butter over anything hydrogenated

momof3angela
by on Aug. 21, 2010 at 6:43 PM

Thanks...we don't use margarine.

smurfy88
by Jessica on Aug. 21, 2010 at 6:56 PM

This is what I use

ziff130
by on Aug. 21, 2010 at 7:03 PM

I've read that too... about it being almost plastic. We switched to margarine a few years ago when dh was diagnosed w/ high cholesterol. A few mos later we read about it being plastic and switched back to butter. Ick!! We use butter. :)

Smurfy, is CountryCrock butter or margarine? I can't tell from the container. I always use the stick kind... hehe. We use coconut oil a lot too though.

LeslieFaye
by on Aug. 21, 2010 at 7:31 PM

That would be margarine, definitely not butter

Product Details:

Help Country Crock, share a meal! Country fresh taste. No trans fat per serving. 7 g Fat (1.5 g saturated fat) per serving. 51% Vegetable oil. Spread the sharing. Country Crock has always been about sharing a meal. No cholesterol. Contains 100% less cholesterol than butter and 30% less fat and calories than butter. Per Serving: Country Crock - 7g Fat, 60 calories, 0 mg cholesterol; Butter - 11g Fat, 100 calories, 30 mg cholesterol.

Ingredients:

Vegetable Oil Blend (Liquid Soybean Oil, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Hydrogenated Cottonseed Oil), Water, Whey (Milk), Salt, Vegetable Mono and Diglycerides, Soy Lecithin, (Potassium Sorbate, Calcium Disodium EDTA) Used to Protect Quality, Citric Acid, Artificial Flavor, Vitamin A (Palmitate), Beta Carotene (for Color).

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size: 1 tbsp
Servings Per Container: 30
smurfy88
by Jessica on Aug. 21, 2010 at 7:32 PM

I hate the taste of butter, I love the country crock its the only brand I will buy.

rkoloms
by on Aug. 22, 2010 at 9:12 AM

We use butter, olive oil, sun flower seed oil, coconut oil, and Earth Balance (when we are baking for vegan friends.

Robin in Chicago

MythicMMM
by on Aug. 22, 2010 at 9:51 AM

Actually, it is around 4 molecules difference between the two last I checked, granted I still wouldn't eat it, and.

TessaMommy
by on Aug. 22, 2010 at 11:05 AM

When we are doing non-dairy cooking, we use earth balance "buttery sticks".  Non hydrogenated margarine.  it isn't the same as regular margarine.  Or we use olive oil or coconut oil.  But my son who is severely dairy allergic is also allergic to coconut.

MSOmom
by on Aug. 22, 2010 at 12:05 PM

Margarine is bleached, deoderized, rancid fat.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)