Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

When should my boy switch from whole milk to 2%?

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2010 at 11:02 AM
  • 7 Replies

My son is nearly 2 1/2 now and I'm not sure when to make the switch.  He's in the 99 percentile for growth -- he's growing so much I'm afraid to take away any source of calories just now.  He's slim hipped and broad shouldered and stands a few inches over 3 feet tall. (wears 18mo size shorts and is nearly out of his 3T shirts)  Any thoughts?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Aug. 23, 2010 at 11:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
brwneyeddaisy1
by on Aug. 23, 2010 at 11:12 AM

Dr's recommend changing at age 2 to lowfat milk.  So, you can switch him now. 

RanaAurora
by on Aug. 23, 2010 at 11:31 AM

So here's the skinny...

Whole milk is no longer recommended for the 1-2 crowd... but not because they don't need fat.  It's because Americans suck so bad at healthy diets that kids are already getting too much fat even in that first year of toddlerhood.

So... milk fat SPECIFICALLY is beneficial to brain development, the majority of which is done between birth to three years old.

If you have a healthy diet that isn't chock-full of nasty fats, there is NEVER a need to switch to a lower-fat milk. My son is 6 and drinks whole milk. He's very thin and small for his age, (my husband and I both have tiny bone structures too) and his pediatrician and I both agree that he is doing WELL with whole milk, so there's no reason to change his diet.

This is your personal choice.  If your diet is healthy and your child isn't at risk of being even slightly overweight, there's no reason to change the milk you give him.

Aug-mom
by on Aug. 23, 2010 at 12:53 PM

I have never given my dd whole milk always been 2%, my doctor said there isnt much difference except that whole milk has more fat, so i guess its pretty much up to u. otherwise try and see how it goes.

smurfy88
by Jessica on Aug. 23, 2010 at 1:58 PM

I switched when my daughter turned 2. I love whole milk but now I only buy it once in a while as a treat to myself.

rkoloms
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 8:29 PM

My daughter is 15, and has never had a glass of milk. She went from breastmilk to water.

Cow milk is for baby cows, and humans don't need it. Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. While cow mild is rich in protein, the kind of protein that is contains is casein, while human milk protein is lactalbumin, with is easily digestible; more the 50% of casein isn’t digested and can cause health problems later in life, like food allergies. Here is some of what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Robin in Chicago

isaiahtabatha
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 8:42 PM

Most doctor's recommend you switch at age 2.  My daughter is nearly 2, but her doctor said to keep her on whole milk.  She doesn't eat a lot of fatty foods.   She'll eat veggies, fruits, low fat, organic yogurt and cheeses, and whole grain pasta, but that's about it.  She is underweight, which is why she's to stay on whole until who knows when.  Probably forever.

LylasMomma08
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 10:24 PM

i agree with ...if you have a good diet ...you don't have to switch...but 2% is way cheaper!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN