Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Environment

Posted by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 11:49 AM
  • 9 Replies

So I am taking a healthy environment class in school and has got me interested in different things. What do YOU do to help save the environment?

by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 11:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
SamoandTimBug
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 12:45 PM

Recycle, buy locally, and try to cut back on the processed products we eat and use.  Unfortunately I live in a fairly rural area, so there's no public transport and cycling is NOT an option with the terrain and traffic, so I use more than my share of gasoline.  We just bought a house, so we're discussing solar panels to at least supplement our electric.

Vegetarianmama
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 12:49 PM
Recycle. I don't really buy many new things. Save electricity. Use our bathtub to wash clothes and dry them on the line. No shampoo.. I use Dr Bronners for everything. No meat, eat fairly local and fresh.. We do have processed foods but I try to keep them to a minimum. Public trans, a small car(which isn't working well for us..too small).. Oh and change the light bulbs, make old things new(furniture and such).. Try not to use too many chemical cleaners(tea tree, vinegar and dr bronners works great.. Oh and baking soda and lemon)... All that jazz.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rkoloms
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 8:18 PM

Recycle

buy local and second hand

make our own cleaners, from non-toxic ingredients

take public transit

we don't eat meat

use compact fluorescent bulbs

bring our own bags to stores

Robin in Chicago

Elsasmom
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 8:23 PM

Recycle, walk to as many places as I can, non-toxic cleaners, bring my own grocery bags to the store, we've cut way back on meat something I thought I'd never get my husband to go along with, try to buy as responsibly and local as possible. 

ziff130
by on Aug. 25, 2010 at 8:04 AM

Recycle

I use reusable bags for the store

My purse is made from recycled drink bags by women in third world countries to raise money

I use a Diva Cup instead of tampons

I never use paper plates/utensils

I reuse my ziploc bags and one day when I have more money I'm going to buy reusable ziploc bags

I teach my children to respect the earth and keep it clean

Save energy all ways possible -- turning off lights, using energy efficient light bulbs...etc.

DestMasters
by on Aug. 25, 2010 at 12:35 PM

Recycle

Freecycle

Donate what I can't Freecycle

Use reusable bags for shopping, most of which I've made myself from fabric scraps

Buy locally

Try to have only one "errand day" so I'm not out and about in the car every day

Make our own cleaners, detergents, soap and use only eco and human friendly ingredients when making them.

Use cloth rags instead of paper towels

Use CFL bulbs

Make sure all the lights and applicances (tvs, radios, game systems) are off when leaving a room

Use the clothesline whenever possible 

Bitterroot
by on Aug. 25, 2010 at 12:43 PM

My frugal and/or eco-friendly tips/tricks:
  • breastfeed
  • cloth diaper
  • recycling
  • shop gently used stores before buying new
  • weekly meal menu and monthly grocery budget
  • all-natural cleaning products like vinegar or lemon juice (saves $$)
  • homemade detergents
  • no cable or satellite
  • used cars with no monthly payment
  • gardening (veggies and herbs)
  • turning heat down 5 degrees in wintertime and cooling/AC up 5 degrees in summertime
  • mama cloth
  • family cloth (I can only get myself to use this for No. 1 only)
  • line drying clothes (sometimes)
  • hand-me-downs from my eldest to my middle (too much of an age gap between middle and youngest)
  • coupons
  • walking instead of driving
  • vacationing locally versus cross-country
  • Netflix
  • eating meat only 2 or 3 times a week.  Other than that, it's high-protein foods like beans.
  • I don't buy junk food. Ever.  Well, I take that back! I bought fixins for S'mores this past weekend.  But I never buy pop and never buy chips.
  • We never eat out anymore.

I would like to sell our Victorian home and purchase something with less mortgage payment, and less maintenance and upkeep.  But my DH is against that idea.  Ahhh...well, I'll keep trying.

I'm 39, been married nearly 17 years now, and we have 3 beautiful girls.  I'm all about eco-parenting and how to live a healthier lifestyle.

smurfy88
by Jessica on Aug. 25, 2010 at 12:51 PM

what is a mama cloth

DestMasters
by on Aug. 25, 2010 at 12:54 PM

Reusable, cloth menstrual pads.

When my youngest starts getting her periods, we'll be using these. I'm already starting to make them and gather a supply.

Quoting smurfy88:

what is a mama cloth

~Destiny

Listen to your body. It will tell you all you need to know.
Healthy Moms Moderator - Come join us!
Kids' Health Center Moderator - Your kids will thank you!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)