Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Whose fault is it?

Posted by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 1:12 PM
  • 10 Replies

All the knowns toxins and the complacency from the majority of our country -- including the organizations that are supposed to protect us -- whose fault is it that in order to not lead a toxic life, you have to be very, very careful?

Shouldn't it be the other way aroud? That the toxic items to your health are few and far between?

Whose fault is this? Are other countries as bad off?

by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 1:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wendy46121
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 1:48 PM

No one person can be blamed. 

It's the companies fault for doing. 

It's consumers fault for supporting companies for doing it. 

It's the gov't fault for not putting stricter laws on crap in our food, water and environment. 

If these three worked together, life would be a lot better. But as long as its cheaper for companies, making it cheaper for consumers, and nobody complains, nothing will change. 

runner-mom
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 6:25 PM

I am going to say it's our fault.   

It's a supply and demand world.    If we keep demanding the cheap junk, they are going to keep supplying it.  If people don't question what we eat, they will keep putting the toxins in our food.

However if more and more people knew the truth and DEMANDED cleaner, healthier foods, then the companies would have no choice but to hop on board...

rkoloms
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 8:21 PM

When we vote for government officials who don't believe in government, we get less government

Robin in Chicago

Elsasmom
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 8:24 PM

Quoting wendy46121:

No one person can be blamed. 

It's the companies fault for doing. 

It's consumers fault for supporting companies for doing it. 

It's the gov't fault for not putting stricter laws on crap in our food, water and environment. 

If these three worked together, life would be a lot better. But as long as its cheaper for companies, making it cheaper for consumers, and nobody complains, nothing will change. 

Agree with this

ziff130
by on Aug. 25, 2010 at 8:08 AM

The supply and demand thing is tough though. If you can't afford it then you can afford it and while you'd rather the healthy food were cheaper b/c you'd rather buy it, you can't because it's the cheap food or the mortgage or the electricity bill, ya know? It's so stupid! This is the situation we're in. I try to buy healthy but I lost my job in January. Dh just graduated in May so he's looking for a better paying job that uses his degree but until then, our budget is about $30-40/week for groceries and there's only so much I can buy with that.

DestMasters
by on Aug. 25, 2010 at 12:58 PM

First, it's the consumers' fault for allowing it and purchasing. Then it's the manufacturers' fault.  If we don't buy it, it won't be made. The government has no stake in protecting the consumer. They protect the manufacturers.

clarewillow
by on Aug. 25, 2010 at 1:05 PM

I understand the supply and demand thing.  It's sad when there are so many people who don't know or worse don't care what they are putting in their bodies.  I educated my neighbor last night on maple syrup.  She had never heard of it and pulled out her syrup to show me, asking if it was the same thing. It was corn syrup followed by high fructose corn syrup and a bunch of other stuff I don't remember whereas mine came from a tree.  I'll have to ask her today how she liked it. I gave her some as she needed it for pancakes. 

Oh the original question. I think it's our fault.  We are the ones responsible for purchasing food/what we feed ourselves and our kids.  Corporations are about profit.  If we quit buying crap then they will have to quit making it.  

I wish it was cheaper to buy good food and easier to find.  I spend a fortune on groceries and probably more time then most people because I have to look at labels to make sure I can eat the product.

0Jenna0
by on Aug. 25, 2010 at 1:16 PM

I think (and really truly want to believe) that in the VERY VERY beginning, most of it started out as pure ignorance. Neither the manufacturers nor the consumers knew how bad some of the chemicals they were using were. I also think that for a very long time the residents of this country felt for some reason that man-made products were better than natural products. I think all that coupled with our country's feeling of invincibility put us where we are now. And now we're still fighting consumer ignorance while also fighting manufacturer's greed.

SamoandTimBug
by on Aug. 25, 2010 at 2:29 PM

I don't think other countries have as much trouble, but I don't think it's necessarily because they have better government regulation.  I firmly believe that many Americans have an entitlement mindset that they have some kind of god-given right to have massive amounts of STUFF.  They also think they're entitled to be able to come and go whenever they damn well please, leading to people who have access to public transportation shunning it, because it doesn't revolve precisely around their convenience.  I know there are limits to what people can do, and I understand if it's an issue of hours and hours, but there are many people who aren't willing to wait 15 minutes for a bus because they want to go RIGHT NOW.  This country is full of people who want the newest, biggest, best stuff in the brightest, shiniest packaging, because "we deserve it." 

CatDogLady
by on Aug. 26, 2010 at 11:38 AM

I think it is all our faults, the government, the manufacturers and us for purchasing it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN