Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Crystalline Fructose Question

Posted by on Aug. 26, 2010 at 10:28 AM
  • 6 Replies

I bought what I thought was a really healthy large container of vanilla yogurt.  (I like to eat yogurt with oatmeal/granola and fruit on top, like blueberries, for breakfast.)

Anyhow, I looked at the ingredients.  One of them is: Crystalline fructose.

I Googled a bit of research on this, but most of the articles I read said that it's comprable to HFCS (high-fructose corn syrup) but metabolizes differently in our bodies.

Exactly what does this mean?  Is Crystalline fructose good?  Or is it bad?

I'm 39, been married nearly 17 years now, and we have 3 beautiful girls.  I'm all about eco-parenting and how to live a healthier lifestyle.

by on Aug. 26, 2010 at 10:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
LeslieFaye
by on Aug. 26, 2010 at 10:50 AM

I thought it was basically what we all know as sugar - but derived from corn as opposed to cane.  Fructose is natural sugar in fruit, corn, cane (if it is cane it usually says so)  It is processed in different ways to create different forms.  I don't like to use anything that comes from corn as most corn is GMO and that is where most fructose comes from as well glucose or dextrose.  I'm starting to buy everything unsweetened and just add honey (also fructose)

baby

minneapolismama
by on Aug. 26, 2010 at 11:14 AM

i would think not great, but better than hfcs. so use it but then look for a different one next time. brown cow cream top yogurt is wonderful :)

Bitterroot
by on Aug. 26, 2010 at 11:59 AM

Thanks, ladies!

rkoloms
by on Aug. 26, 2010 at 2:09 PM

Did this "yogurt" have live cultures, and not have gelatin or other thickeners?

I buy plain, fat free, organic, greek-style yogurt. We use it plain in cooking, and mix with maple syup or pureed fruits.

Robin in Chicago

wendy46121
by on Aug. 26, 2010 at 2:12 PM

buy plain. ingredients "milk, live cultures"  lol  Then add your own sweeteners (honey, fruit, whatever u please) and then there is no doubt! 

(which really makes me want to rant about some of the crap they market as "yogurt"... ugh ESPECIALLY kids yogurt!)

Bitterroot
by on Aug. 26, 2010 at 3:59 PM

Quoting rkoloms:

Did this "yogurt" have live cultures, and not have gelatin or other thickeners?

I buy plain, fat free, organic, greek-style yogurt. We use it plain in cooking, and mix with maple syup or pureed fruits.

Yeah, it lists several live and active cultures...

the brand is Mountain High Lowfat All-Natural Yoghurt, Vanilla flavor.

Says it's got billions of live, active and probiotic cultures, and their farmers pledge not to use artificial growth hormones.

Ingredients:  Cultured pasteurized lowfat milk, nonfat milk, crystalline fructose, natural vanilla, pectin, natural flavors (L. bulgaricus, S. Thermophilus, L. Acidophilus, B. Bifidus, and L. Sacei cultures) and it's gluten free.

Made in Englewood, Colo.

Their disclaimer on the side of the container says, "Better for You than Sugar" and states this yoghurt is sweetened naturally with crystalline fructose -- never with artificial sweeteners or sugar.  Crystalline fructose is a natural, low glycemic sweetener because it metabolizes more slowly than sugar, it's better for your body.

I'm 39, been married nearly 17 years now, and we have 3 beautiful girls.  I'm all about eco-parenting and how to live a healthier lifestyle.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)