Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Investing in my kitchen supplies....(PIOG)

Posted by on Sep. 11, 2010 at 11:02 AM
  • 20 Replies

I am finally ready to buy some new stuff for my kitchen. I need a crockpot, a knife set and a new pot set. I want to spend a decent amount of money for quality stiff that works well and lasts. The pot set I was looking at was $130.00 for a 3 pots and lids, and 2 skillets it is stainless steel with copper bottom but it says that it has encased aluminum. Meaning the bottom of the pot is surrounded bu stinless steel and copper but there is aluminum inside. Doesn't "touch" the food. Is this healthy? We don't use anything aluminum anymore.so I wasn't sure since it doesn't actually "touch" the food. Also, as far as the crockpot since the food sits in there for so long what should I be looking for as far as what the pot is made of?  Thanks so much for your advice.

Jess

EBF, non-vaxing, co-sleeping, taking everyday as it comes, trying to make healthier choices and loving being a SAH Mommy to our amazing son, Maximilian born 1.15.08.

by on Sep. 11, 2010 at 11:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DestMasters
by on Sep. 11, 2010 at 11:29 AM

I love a ceramic insert for the crockpot. As far as the pots and pans, we don't use non-stick at all. Mine are all steel. I would think that if something doesn't touch the food, you'd be fine. 

I love Chef's Catalog and Cooks.com for browsing different things. 

jess227ny
by on Sep. 11, 2010 at 11:48 AM
Thanks so much. I have never really invested in this stuff before so I want to make the right choices. I will check out those websites thanks again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jess227ny
by on Sep. 11, 2010 at 11:53 AM
Oh yea and ditto on the non stick as well I chucked those a few years back... I love my cast iron and I'm going to get a bigger cast iron skillet but for pasta veggies sauces etc I need some good pots. I also bought a whole bunch of pyrex for leftovers as I used to use plastic. I still have some plastic containers for when were out and about. But there are so many things we need to be "aware" of I just want to make sure I'm covering all my bases. :) thanks again for the advice.

Quoting DestMasters:

I love a ceramic insert for the crockpot. As far as the pots and pans, we don't use non-stick at all. Mine are all steel. I would think that if something doesn't touch the food, you'd be fine. 

I love Chef's Catalog and Cooks.com for browsing different things. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DestMasters
by on Sep. 11, 2010 at 3:32 PM

It sounds like you're definitely on the right track. I love my pans. My husband bought them for me before we even were officially living under the same roof. I was meeting him at the house and he wandered in from work late. He told me he had a present for me and walked in with a HUGE box of Calphalon stainless cookware. I almost fell over. Not because he got me a gift but because he'd been paying attention when I was touting the perks of stainless. :)

jess227ny
by on Sep. 11, 2010 at 5:40 PM
OMG I found so many sets I want now :) cuisenart has a set out that is a physical non stick non toxic non petroleum based going for $250 its about twice as the other set but I'm going to do some research on it. It is also steel I believe. I also saw a calphalon 12 piece set for about $300 all stainless steel so I def have some homework to do. Thanks again :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
minneapolismama
by on Sep. 11, 2010 at 5:46 PM

costco has good quality cookware sets- their stainless one looks nice i am thinking about getting it. i  think most crock pots are going to have ceramic inserts and will be safe. we have tons of pyrex food storage containers. wood spoons and bamboo spatulas are great too.

jess227ny
by on Sep. 11, 2010 at 8:41 PM
I never thought to look there...I have a membership ...but its about 45 min away and I have the same list basically everytime..lol. I try not to look around to much because in a blink of an eye I'm spending way more than I planned. But ill def look for those. They have a website maybe they will bw on there. Thanks so much :) oh and I love my bamboo spatulas. DH finally retired his plastic one that he liked to use for eggs...finally. Were a work in progress...don't you feel like everytime you think you have covered all your bases you learn something new?

Quoting minneapolismama:

costco has good quality cookware sets- their stainless one looks nice i am thinking about getting it. i  think most crock pots are going to have ceramic inserts and will be safe. we have tons of pyrex food storage containers. wood spoons and bamboo spatulas are great too.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rkoloms
by on Sep. 12, 2010 at 8:01 AM

I would not want aluminum touching my family's foods.

My favorite pans are cast iron (a truly healthy non-stick surface), that I have picked up from garage sales. I have a couple of Revere wear (stainless steel with copper bottoms) pots, and my beloved Le Crusuet (enameled cast iron) pot.

Robin in Chicago

dotsicle
by on Sep. 12, 2010 at 10:59 AM

Ok, I am new at this so tell me why I should not use ANY aluminum cookware (I only have 1 small aluminum saucepan; the rest are stainless) and DH heard me grousing about the nasty peeling small non-stick frypan so he bought me a new one--- also non-stick, bless his heart. We mainly use it for poaching eggs.

And, why should I not store food in Glad plastic containers? Inquiring minds want to know!

jess227ny
by on Sep. 12, 2010 at 1:49 PM
The original pots I was talking about are all surrounded by stainless steel and copper bottoms inside the copper thoroughly encased I'd the aluminum. It doesn't touch the food at all. Do you think that's still bad? Yes I love my cast iron skillet and I'm going to get bigger one as well but I need pots. I think its just me but I don't like the enamel cast iron. My Mom has some and I like the original one better.

Quoting rkoloms:

I would not want aluminum touching my family's foods.

My favorite pans are cast iron (a truly healthy non-stick surface), that I have picked up from garage sales. I have a couple of Revere wear (stainless steel with copper bottoms) pots, and my beloved Le Crusuet (enameled cast iron) pot.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN