Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Investing in my kitchen supplies....(PIOG)

Posted by   + Show Post

I am finally ready to buy some new stuff for my kitchen. I need a crockpot, a knife set and a new pot set. I want to spend a decent amount of money for quality stiff that works well and lasts. The pot set I was looking at was $130.00 for a 3 pots and lids, and 2 skillets it is stainless steel with copper bottom but it says that it has encased aluminum. Meaning the bottom of the pot is surrounded bu stinless steel and copper but there is aluminum inside. Doesn't "touch" the food. Is this healthy? We don't use anything aluminum anymore.so I wasn't sure since it doesn't actually "touch" the food. Also, as far as the crockpot since the food sits in there for so long what should I be looking for as far as what the pot is made of?  Thanks so much for your advice.

Jess

EBF, non-vaxing, co-sleeping, taking everyday as it comes, trying to make healthier choices and loving being a SAH Mommy to our amazing son, Maximilian born 1.15.08.

by on Sep. 11, 2010 at 11:02 AM
Replies (11-20):
jess227ny
by on Sep. 12, 2010 at 1:51 PM
I'm out running errands as soon as I get to my desktop I will respond :)

Quoting dotsicle:

Ok, I am new at this so tell me why I should not use ANY aluminum cookware (I only have 1 small aluminum saucepan; the rest are stainless) and DH heard me grousing about the nasty peeling small non-stick frypan so he bought me a new one--- also non-stick, bless his heart. We mainly use it for poaching eggs.

And, why should I not store food in Glad plastic containers? Inquiring minds want to know!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SouthKonaMomma
by on Sep. 12, 2010 at 10:29 PM
Can't wait to hear this response, I'm curious too! I am replacing all my pots and pans with real quality and have found the staub line at Williams sonoma and really like them- any suggestions or reviews on them or similiar? They're pretty expensive (to me at least) so cheaper /equal quality would be fine too
circle.of.life
by on Sep. 13, 2010 at 10:31 AM
Beforee I purchasers all my steel pots I looked at the reviewed at Walmart.co.m they were helpful.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jess227ny
by on Sep. 13, 2010 at 12:52 PM
Cooking with aluminum is not healthy I'm still mobile so I can't post links yet. Also microwave food and/ or storing it in plastic containers makes a the plastic chemicals leech into our food. Glass is best..IMO. I am still reviewing the pots I believe we are going to go with 100 percent stainless steel. I also picked up a larger cast iron skillet. I LOVE cast iron. Its just so damn heavy...lol.
Oh and even aluminum in deodorant is bad for us as well. I think aluminum has been linked to Alzheimer's.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GoGreen6210
by on Sep. 13, 2010 at 8:20 PM

Hi,

Yes aluminum is in deoderant but I never thought about the pots and pans.... and it can cause cancer too. There are so many things we do not think of even our baby shampoo,soaps, and tooth paste. I am in the process of deciding what pots to get too. The teflon was the choice we made due to the non stick feature but now looking for better.

Going Green saves in the long Run !

Not.So.Virginal
by on Sep. 13, 2010 at 8:32 PM

for the knife set... I ♥ my cutco. If you're anywhere near Salamanca, NY you could go to the warehouse and get a slightly better deal (my MIL went and got me a knife set and got some stuff for free on the side)

DestMasters
by on Sep. 14, 2010 at 10:00 AM

I'm totally jealous of Robin's Le Creseut. There I said it. Jealous I tell you! I'd love to have even one piece of their cookware.

Yes, aluminum is dangerous. It's linked to cancer and alzheimers and metal poisoning. It's fine to make into doors and vehicle bodies. Not so fine to touch food or our bodies.

Plastic can leach chemicals into food, especially when hot. If we have a bottle of water that's a plastic bottle, it shouldn't be left in the car to get hot. The chemcials in the water after leaving it in a hot car are incredible and not healthy ones.

Stainless steel is best. It's the least dangerous and if it's good quality, it's fantastic to cook with. You need to be careful about using things like Pam on them because it can burn and stick to it forever. I've only used olive oil or butter if I need to "grease" it for cooking. 

Cast iron is great for some things as well. Some folks swear that it's unhealthy because you can't use soap when washing them without affecting the quality of the iron. Because it's porous, it absorbs the soap and that can cause bad flavor and also corrode the pan. So many folks think that cast iron is a breeding ground for food poisoning. However, when the cast iron is seasoned correctly and then cleaned correctly, it's as safe as anything else. To clean mine, I scrub it out using the hottest water I can. I then add salt and scrub like crazy getting any food residue. Rinse it super well then put it on the stove on a burner set on high to dry. Between scrubbing, the hot water and the heat from the burner, there is no concern about food safety.

jess227ny
by on Sep. 14, 2010 at 1:01 PM
Well said thanks so much for the tips on cleaning I never even thought of the food poisoning aspect...and yes that's what I have been hearing with the SS pots you have to heat them, then grease them (I only use olive and coocnut oil)and then put your room temp food in. Looks like I will have some learning to do when I get them...lol.

Quoting DestMasters:

I'm totally jealous of Robin's Le Creseut. There I said it. Jealous I tell you! I'd love to have even one piece of their cookware.

Yes, aluminum is dangerous. It's linked to cancer and alzheimers and metal poisoning. It's fine to make into doors and vehicle bodies. Not so fine to touch food or our bodies.

Plastic can leach chemicals into food, especially when hot. If we have a bottle of water that's a plastic bottle, it shouldn't be left in the car to get hot. The chemcials in the water after leaving it in a hot car are incredible and not healthy ones.

Stainless steel is best. It's the least dangerous and if it's good quality, it's fantastic to cook with. You need to be careful about using things like Pam on them because it can burn and stick to it forever. I've only used olive oil or butter if I need to "grease" it for cooking. 

Cast iron is great for some things as well. Some folks swear that it's unhealthy because you can't use soap when washing them without affecting the quality of the iron. Because it's porous, it absorbs the soap and that can cause bad flavor and also corrode the pan. So many folks think that cast iron is a breeding ground for food poisoning. However, when the cast iron is seasoned correctly and then cleaned correctly, it's as safe as anything else. To clean mine, I scrub it out using the hottest water I can. I then add salt and scrub like crazy getting any food residue. Rinse it super well then put it on the stove on a burner set on high to dry. Between scrubbing, the hot water and the heat from the burner, there is no concern about food safety.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jess227ny
by on Sep. 14, 2010 at 1:03 PM
I'm in NY but I never even heard of there I'm in Orange County...I just picked up a stainless steel chicago cutlery set...it seems prett good so far.

Quoting Not.So.Virginal:

for the knife set... I ♥ my cutco. If you're anywhere near Salamanca, NY you could go to the warehouse and get a slightly better deal (my MIL went and got me a knife set and got some stuff for free on the side)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jess227ny
by on Sep. 14, 2010 at 1:08 PM
Oh man, don't get me started on the chemicals in our everyday lives...it so scary. For the most part over the last 2 years I have pretty much changed over to a completely chemical free home..m.ake all my own cleaners(so easy) , our personal care products, our foods, etc...it can be so overwhelming. I am now working on investing some good quality kitchen stuff to help with my dislike of cooking...lol. I do it because its wahts best for us but its a struggle. Hence why I want to invest in a crockpot finally and the one I found online has a 24 hour warmer...that's probably too much but I like that I had the option. Thanks everyone for all the thoughts, tips and advice. I'm glad we were all able to share our knowledge, thoughts and concerns.

Quoting GoGreen6210:

Hi,

Yes aluminum is in deoderant but I never thought about the pots and pans.... and it can cause cancer too. There are so many things we do not think of even our baby shampoo,soaps, and tooth paste. I am in the process of deciding what pots to get too. The teflon was the choice we made due to the non stick feature but now looking for better.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)