Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Anyone know a way to make a small income and still take care of my baby. I really don't want to put him in daycare.

by on Sep. 13, 2010 at 3:56 PM
Replies (11-15):
DestMasters
by on Sep. 14, 2010 at 8:57 AM

There are many, legit, work-at-home companies that would enable you to stay home. The trick is to be able to get a schedule that coincides when you have your baby's father there or when someone can come in and babysit.

I work from home taking inbound customer service calls for a communications company. I have a quiet area in which to work and I have a fixed schedule (finally) that isn't too bad. I work 430 - 830 in the evenings so I have the day to take care of the house, start dinner (crock pots rule), run errands and deal with other things.

I know that 1-800-flowers utilizes work from home agents as does Home Shopping Network. There are a few companies that contract reps out to other companies.

If you're looking for work at home opportunities, remember to keep a few things in mind:

If a place says you have to pay a fee or purchase anything to start, it's likely either a straight out soliciting job or a sham. 

If a place says you're a sub-contractor or self employed, while that's not necessarily a sham, it does put you in the position of having to deal with taxes and other legalities on your own which, for some folks, is a nightmare.

Good luck! 

StrollerStrider
by on Sep. 14, 2010 at 9:02 AM

I used to own a franchise called Stroller Strides... you teach fitness classes to new and pregnant moms while keeping your kiddos with you the whole time.  You set the schedule, etc.  It was a really great opportunity for me to workout, make new friends and help other mamas.  Granted, like any small business, it doesn't make tons of money from the start... but you get out of it what you put in!

KZEE30
by on Sep. 14, 2010 at 9:51 AM
We are here to help one another, don't have a cow!! It's not like it happens all the time : /
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DestMasters
by on Sep. 14, 2010 at 10:10 AM

Exactly! Which is why the group guidelines prohibit recruiting and soliciting since there are several Cafe Mom groups specifically for those types of work at home opportunities.  Most of the moms come here for information versus finding things to buy or ways to become reps to sell things.  :) 

Quoting KZEE30:

We are here to help one another, don't have a cow!! It's not like it happens all the time : /

~Destiny

Listen to your body. It will tell you all you need to know.
Healthy Moms Moderator - Come join us!
Kids' Health Center Moderator - Your kids will thank you!

CEOMom11
by on Sep. 14, 2010 at 4:20 PM

Hi Ashley,

Have you looked at businesses/jobs from home. WAHM.com, momsnetwork.com, or even certain groups on Cafemom, can lead you in the right direction. It depends on what you're looking for and what would be a good fit for you and your family but if you can find something that you're passionate about, than not only will you make money at it but you will enjoy what you do and be home with your little ones. Any actual "job" that I have had, never allowed my children to be there, but some work places are more relaxed than others, I guess it just depends on the situation. I work full-time as a teacher, and do Internet CEO Moms to supplement our income. It's nice not having to find another job outside the home. I hope those website help, if you need other suggestions, just let me know I would love to help!

Thanks and good luck in your search!

Melissa Steinbrunn 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)