Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

video game "exercise"...thoughts?

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2010 at 12:03 PM
  • 15 Replies

Wii fit.  Dance Dance Revolution.  Everywhere you turn around, it seems there is a new way to exercise, while still playing video games.   At the park we frequent, they installed maybe 6 or 7 HUGE arcade like "games" where you have to run around and hit buttons and stuff.  At my Univeristy, they just ditched the raquet ball rooms that were never being used, and built an "ex-arcade" , full of wii's, DDR, snowboarding games, a race car game that you "pedal" to make the car go forward, etc.

In this day and age I think it's great that we get people moving any way we can,but I find it sad that it's harder and harder to encourage kids to be active with simplicity, like a pick up game of tag or soccer, and instead still have to put them in front of a TV screen.

What are your thoughts on this topic?

Run Like a MOM!!                        my blog               Cafemom Healthy Moms

by on Sep. 14, 2010 at 12:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wendy46121
by on Sep. 14, 2010 at 12:12 PM

If it weren't for my Wii Fit the only exercise I would get is chasing my toddlers around!  (or the occasional treadmill run)  I LIKE that it helps me focus on specific "workouts" and keep track of things...

But I have no delusions about it being a real workout at all.  It can make me break a sweat... but without any real weight resistance I am not going to accomplish much more than cardio.  Better than nothing, but I know it's not enough for real results.  

I'm glad my kids would much rather run around outside than play video games ( I dont have any boys though... so that could be why!)

Natural Spring 2011   For moms due next spring who believe pregnancy and birth are natural and normal!! 

runner-mom
by on Sep. 14, 2010 at 12:16 PM

Quoting wendy46121:

If it weren't for my Wii Fit the only exercise I would get is chasing my toddlers around!  (or the occasional treadmill run)  I LIKE that it helps me focus on specific "workouts" and keep track of things...

But I have no delusions about it being a real workout at all.  It can make me break a sweat... but without any real weight resistance I am not going to accomplish much more than cardio.  Better than nothing, but I know it's not enough for real results.  

I'm glad my kids would much rather run around outside than play video games ( I dont have any boys though... so that could be why!)

That is a total bonus about it, you CAN get a workout at home!      Like I said, ANY exercise, be it intense or easy, is still BETTER than sitting around watching TV.  I think I worry more about children and how they will see this as "exercise"...it definitely has its negatives and positives!

My boys at only 4 and 2 are already all about TV.  I do take all the blame, as a full time student the TV is great for allowing me to get my homework done at nights, but now that they are getting older I make sure to get them outside more and more and have "quiet time" at home with the TV OFF!!  I'm glad DH hardly ever plays video games anymore, because I'm sure they'd want in on it too. 

Run Like a MOM!!                        my blog               Cafemom Healthy Moms

DestMasters
by on Sep. 14, 2010 at 12:20 PM

I agree that anything is better than nothing. Even if it's just taking one walk each week. It's so much better than not walking at all.

I have a Wii fit and the kids enjoy it. I don't find it challenging enough but it's not horrid either. I also have the EA Sports Active. It can be brutal. Talk about sweating!

I used to do Tae Bo for an hour a day, all via DVD. I have some Yoga DVDs that I use. 

I always wanted to have the time and money to get to the gym. I finally accepted that it'll never happen. Even 20 minutes in the car on the way there I just can't justify so I'd rather spend that 20 minutes taking a walk, doing the Wii things or chasing a soccer ball with the kids.   

smurfy88
by Jessica on Sep. 14, 2010 at 12:25 PM

I think that parents need to MAKE their kids get outside more, but I like the exercise game idea too cause kids love video games so why not let them be moving while they are having fun with what they want to do!

wendy46121
by on Sep. 14, 2010 at 12:27 PM

I was in school when Alexus was younger... and TV is a lot easier when you have homework to do so I definitely understand that!

Quoting runner-mom:

Quoting wendy46121:

That is a total bonus about it, you CAN get a workout at home!      Like I said, ANY exercise, be it intense or easy, is still BETTER than sitting around watching TV.  I think I worry more about children and how they will see this as "exercise"...it definitely has its negatives and positives!

My boys at only 4 and 2 are already all about TV.  I do take all the blame, as a full time student the TV is great for allowing me to get my homework done at nights, but now that they are getting older I make sure to get them outside more and more and have "quiet time" at home with the TV OFF!!  I'm glad DH hardly ever plays video games anymore, because I'm sure they'd want in on it too. 

runner-mom
by on Sep. 14, 2010 at 12:33 PM

Quoting smurfy88:

I think that parents need to MAKE their kids get outside more, but I like the exercise game idea too cause kids love video games so why not let them be moving while they are having fun with what they want to do!

I agree with that!  Growing up, my next door neighbors had two girls about the same ages as my sister and I.  When we would go to their house to play, their mom would MAKE us go outside and said "Only come inside if you have to pee or there is an emergency" LOL!  I hated it at the time, but looking back now, I'm so thaknful she did that! We had a lot of fun running around in the woods, building forts, playing etc (we lived in rural Vermont)

smurfy88
by Jessica on Sep. 14, 2010 at 12:41 PM

definitely! Once kids get out there they will have fun!

Quoting runner-mom:

Quoting smurfy88:

I agree with that!  Growing up, my next door neighbors had two girls about the same ages as my sister and I.  When we would go to their house to play, their mom would MAKE us go outside and said "Only come inside if you have to pee or there is an emergency" LOL!  I hated it at the time, but looking back now, I'm so thaknful she did that! We had a lot of fun running around in the woods, building forts, playing etc (we lived in rural Vermont)

runner-mom
by on Sep. 14, 2010 at 12:44 PM

I can't imagine doing that with my kids here in Myrtle :(   I live in a good neighborhood, but it's still pretty busy and every now and then we have sketchy people/incidents occur.

I think that's part of the issue at hand this day and age..not everyone is lucky enough to live somewhere SAFE enough to be able to send your kids out to play unsupervised.   It's so unfortunate. 

Quoting smurfy88:

Quoting runner-mom:

Quoting smurfy88:

smurfy88
by Jessica on Sep. 14, 2010 at 12:50 PM

ya I agree! My daughter is only almost 3, but even if she was older she would not be going out in our neighborhood luckily we will be moving in february!

Quoting runner-mom:

I can't imagine doing that with my kids here in Myrtle :(   I live in a good neighborhood, but it's still pretty busy and every now and then we have sketchy people/incidents occur.

I think that's part of the issue at hand this day and age..not everyone is lucky enough to live somewhere SAFE enough to be able to send your kids out to play unsupervised.   It's so unfortunate. 

Quoting smurfy88:

Quoting runner-mom:

Quoting smurfy88:

ziff130
by on Sep. 14, 2010 at 1:36 PM

Our neighborhood is safe so I send the kids out quite often. Although, during the summer they stay in more b/c it's so hot here. Fall, winter and spring though... they play a lot! :)

As for the video, exercise games... I think they're great if they get ppl to exercise. :) I think most things are good in moderation so if it's done in moderation then I think it's okay. I even use the Wii Active if it's really hot and I can't get out (back when the kids would leave me alone for it... not so much anymore). ;)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)