Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

video game "exercise"...thoughts?

Posted by   + Show Post

Wii fit.  Dance Dance Revolution.  Everywhere you turn around, it seems there is a new way to exercise, while still playing video games.   At the park we frequent, they installed maybe 6 or 7 HUGE arcade like "games" where you have to run around and hit buttons and stuff.  At my Univeristy, they just ditched the raquet ball rooms that were never being used, and built an "ex-arcade" , full of wii's, DDR, snowboarding games, a race car game that you "pedal" to make the car go forward, etc.

In this day and age I think it's great that we get people moving any way we can,but I find it sad that it's harder and harder to encourage kids to be active with simplicity, like a pick up game of tag or soccer, and instead still have to put them in front of a TV screen.

What are your thoughts on this topic?

Run Like a MOM!!                        my blog               Cafemom Healthy Moms

by on Sep. 14, 2010 at 12:03 PM
Replies (11-15):
Not.So.Virginal
by on Sep. 14, 2010 at 1:43 PM

I just think it's the age we live in. Yeah, young children love running around, but the older you get, the more motivation you need. I saw that thing where you run and hit buttons on the Ellen show awhile back, it looked fun.

I guess as long as people are getting active, it's a good thing, right?

Not.So.Virginal
by on Sep. 14, 2010 at 1:45 PM

I'm reading replies and you guys make me happy that I have a fully fenced yard (at current and new house) so I can eventually send Tristan out and lock the door, lol. (ok, not really lock the door, dont call CPS on me, but I would be able to let him play out more)

runner-mom
by on Sep. 14, 2010 at 1:46 PM

Quoting Not.So.Virginal:

I just think it's the age we live in. Yeah, young children love running around, but the older you get, the more motivation you need. I saw that thing where you run and hit buttons on the Ellen show awhile back, it looked fun.

I guess as long as people are getting active, it's a good thing, right?

The ones we have at the park are like that and they are fun...*but* they are broken a lot, and when they aren't, the light up buttons are hard to see in the sun.  Night time would be WAY fun I bet!!

Run Like a MOM!!                        my blog               Cafemom Healthy Moms

SabrinaLC
by on Sep. 14, 2010 at 2:09 PM
I workout using my Wii so I have nothing against these kind of games.
My children occasionally pretend to workout too.
But we try to get outside everyday, if not then they play inside.
I try to encourage people to use workout games for execise if they need to be physically active. Sometimes seeing exercise as a game is the only way someone will be active.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
runner-mom
by on Sep. 14, 2010 at 2:20 PM

Quoting SabrinaLC:

I workout using my Wii so I have nothing against these kind of games.
My children occasionally pretend to workout too.
But we try to get outside everyday, if not then they play inside.
I try to encourage people to use workout games for execise if they need to be physically active. Sometimes seeing exercise as a game is the only way someone will be active.

Oh totally!  And I'm completely of the mindset that exercise SHOULD be fun. If you don't like it, find another activity you DO like.  People tend to think you have to be slaving away on a treadmill or in a gym, and that's not true.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)