Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Donating/volunteering

Posted by on Sep. 16, 2010 at 11:17 AM
  • 21 Replies

Do you ever donate to health causes such as saint judes, alzheimers, breast cancer etc... or volunteer at hospitals, helping/spending time with the elderly, etc..  ?

by on Sep. 16, 2010 at 11:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
runner-mom
by on Sep. 16, 2010 at 11:28 AM

I do a lot of local stuff, March of Dimes, the polar bear plunge for the special olympics, etc.  But what I am REALLY passionate about is cancer support and awareness.  I fundraise for an awesome organization....Team FIGHT of the Ulman Cancer Fund for Young Adults...in conjunction with my racing.  They actually fund my sister's Cancer to 5k program (http://www.cancerto5k.org/) so it's very dear my heart!  I've raised over $3,000 in the last two years!

http://www.ulmanfund.org/Get-Involved/Team-Fight.aspx

(me on the left with the medal, my sis on the right, malignant melanoma survivor, and my boys!)

Run Like a MOM!!                        my blog               Cafemom Healthy Moms

smurfy88
by Jessica on Sep. 16, 2010 at 11:52 AM

I do donate when its at teh store and they ask if you want to donate like a dollar. I have also volunteered at the hospital and I worked at a elderly home. I mostly worked with patients with alzheimers. I really enjoyed making htem laugh, but it was sad when you had to watch them get worse and they can also be a bit violent at times.

Bitterroot
by on Sep. 16, 2010 at 12:01 PM

I am currently a "Big" through Big Brothers, Big Sisters.

I was a volunteer for several years at the local nursing home.

When I'm at our local grocery stores and there's a big pickle jar at the checkout with photo of a local person and their medical need, I donate.

I donate to the Breast Cancer Research.

I've donated to Prostate Cancer Research.

I donated my bread machine to a local elderly woman who has arthritis and can't make her own bread anymore.

I've prepared meals/bought meals for those undergoing surgeries.

I'm 39, been married nearly 17 years now, and we have 3 beautiful girls.  I'm all about eco-parenting and how to live a healthier lifestyle.  Come join me on my NEW CafeMom forum: The Urban Homestead! http://www.cafemom.com/group/111920

Terri441
by on Sep. 16, 2010 at 12:04 PM

I'm a nurse and I get asked every year to volunteer to be the camp nurse at a camp for developmentally and physically challenged people. I've flown all over western Canada doing it. I LOVE IT. I haven't been able to do it for 3 years as it's been a bit too hard to juggle with the kids but next summer I plan to take the trailer and the fam to the local camp and do it again.

It's such great exposure for my kids. My neice is a special needs girl (well 20 years old but girl to me) and so disabled people have a VERY special place in my heart.

DestMasters
by on Sep. 16, 2010 at 12:09 PM

I'm a licensed massage therapist and volunteer to work on folks living with HIV/AIDS.

My family and I volunteer with a dog rescue organization that we helped found several years ago.

I also donate a set amount every quarter to AIDS research and awareness causes.

When I don't Freecycle things, I donate them to the shelter, AIDS outreach organization or Goodwill.

I help moderate and host a website that shares up-to-date information on HIV/AIDS.

vv56964
by on Sep. 16, 2010 at 1:30 PM

I currently serve as  a Board Member of an adoption agency and Finance committee member at our church.  We give religiously to our church and to adoption agencies (when the need arises).  We donate alot of our old item to the local thrift store which raises money for our local library. 

I giving is usually time, rather than money.

ziff130
by on Sep. 16, 2010 at 1:39 PM

Quoting Bitterroot:

I am currently a "Big" through Big Brothers, Big Sisters.

I have always been interested in this. Do you mind sharing more info?

I volunteer every year with March of Dimes and I donate to red cross quite often as well. I set aside a tenth of my income to help out with stuff like this when I budget. :)

e-doolittle
by Kelly on Sep. 16, 2010 at 2:33 PM

I donate to alot of health causes.  I can't seem to find the time to volunteer right now.  My DS needs me too much right now.

Kelly, Fall 2008 babies! CO-Group Owner

Cafemom Healthy Moms  Moderator

sillytime
by on Sep. 16, 2010 at 2:36 PM

Yes Yes and Yes. I love volunteering. Its been a little while because of small children and no time, but as soon as they are bigger we will all be doing allot of volunteering.

dotsicle
by on Sep. 17, 2010 at 7:59 PM

I have no car available most days, so NO, I do not do volunteer work on a daily basis. I have certain charities I like to help but have very little money to give. If I could afford a second CAR, I still would not be able to do volunteer work... because I would then have a way to get to a paying job, and get my family off food stamps.DH's pay cut left us with no resources for charity or family.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN