Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Non Hormonal Birth Control? (sorry, maybe TMI)

Posted by on Sep. 19, 2010 at 11:58 AM
  • 8 Replies

I'm getting close to the end of my pregnancy and I am currently on the hunt for non hormonal birth control options. I have tried it ALL....the pill, the lower dose version of the pill, the shot, the patch, the Mirena...and ALL have royally screwed with my cycle and my hormones. I had originally planned to do the Mirena again, but after some consideration, I realized that the Mirena was more than likely responsible for my lack of sex drive and my in general moodiness that lasted for over a year. Not to mention it screwed up my period so badly that I would sometimes spot for three weeks at a time instead of the "no period" that it advertises.

So, I decided that maybe it's time to accept the fact that I am a woman and that I get a period. Yes, it's a pain in the ass, but it's part of being a woman. The sooner I accept it and deal with it, the better off I will be. The only time I have ever felt normal and emotionally stable is when I am not on hormonal birth control. The only time my period has ever been regular is when I am not on hormonal birth control. So I asked DH how he felt about using other options and he said he was open to it. He even offered to wear condoms so that I wouldn't have to deal with birth control at all.

Here's the thing...DS is the result of a broken condom. So obviously, I'm not particularly in favor of this method all by itself. I'd really like to put off having any more kids for another couple of years...once school is done, I'm hoping to have at least two more (I know, I'm nuts...but I like big families). If I'm going to make it for two years with no surprises, I'm going to need a little more assurance than a flimsy piece of rubber. 

The question is...what types of non hormonal birth control have you used, if any? Has anyone here done natural family planning that can explain a little bit about what that exactly entails? Has anyone used a diaphragm (which is another option I'm leaning towards, but hesitant b/c of the mixed reviews I found online)? Sorry, I know this is really personal, but I'm a little desperate...LOL! I will also be breastfeeding my baby, so there's always the chance that I'll be okay anyways, but better safe than sorry, right?

I Run Like a Mom!

by on Sep. 19, 2010 at 11:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
smurfy88
by Jessica on Sep. 19, 2010 at 12:37 PM

I gave up on birth control so here is a bump

Mittenmom
by on Sep. 19, 2010 at 2:05 PM

I've only used natural family planning.......for 14 years now.   I'd be happy to answer any questions.    There is a natural family planning group on cafemom you could join and read up on :) 

e-doolittle
by Kelly on Sep. 19, 2010 at 2:12 PM

I used natural family planning for the year before we had DS.  You have to be in tune with your body.

natural.mama
by on Sep. 19, 2010 at 3:15 PM

I used nfp, too. It is a great method if you trust it enough. Me- I was sick from the time of my ovulation to my next period waiting to make sure I wasn't preggo. Now I am on the pill waiting for Dh to get his vasectomy he has till Jan1.

evwsquared
by on Sep. 21, 2010 at 4:01 PM

There is a non-hormonal IUD that you can use. It's called the ParaGard. It is not coated with slow-release hormones like the Mirena.

rkoloms
by on Sep. 22, 2010 at 9:00 PM

I am very fond of my diaphragm. Diaphragms work without hormones and have no side effects. They never caused a stroke, infertility or PID; you won't gain weight, get depressed, or lose your libido; your periods won't be affected. They have never been the subject of class action lawsuits and are instantly reversible

Robin in Chicago

ziff130
by on Sep. 22, 2010 at 9:21 PM

I can't use hormones b/c I am high risk of blood clots so we just use condoms. The doc rec. a diaphragm to me but then she said that I'd need to schedule a time to come and get sized. haha!! I was shocked... I didn't want to get sized THERE!! LOL! I just stick with my condoms. I also know when I ovulate so it's not a big deal for us. We just avoid it those few days. =o)

Commie_Mommie
by on Sep. 23, 2010 at 11:56 PM

Natural Family Planning is awesome. Look into Cycle Beads

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN