Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

CHEAP healthy

Posted by on Sep. 22, 2010 at 11:35 AM
  • 24 Replies

as much as we would like to, not all of us have the luxury of shopping the high end organic products from the natural foods stores. So, what are your tips for chosing healthy prodcuts, while on a budget, for your family?

We aer currently down to a one small income household temporarily, so we buy organic when we can...but when we can't...

-we buy fruits and veggies that are seasonal.  Here in SC recently we were able to get local peaches as low as $0.70 a lb

-Fresh veggies are best, but frozen are still a healthy cheaper alternative.  I try to stock up when local grocery stores offer really good sales on their frozen veggies

-I've noticed a lot of grocery stores are jumping on the organic bandwagon with "generic" organic.  "Nature's place" organic is a brand I've been able to find at Kroger and Food Lion, and it's hardly any more expensive than the non organic store brands. 

Run Like a MOM!!                        my blog               Cafemom Healthy Moms

by on Sep. 22, 2010 at 11:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
e-doolittle
by Kelly on Sep. 22, 2010 at 12:07 PM

Us too Heather!   I have also found our local grocery store jumping on the organic band wagon.  I've wondered whether it's really organic.

Can we brainstorm more ways to be cheap healther, ladies?

Kelly, Fall 2008 babies! CO-Group Owner

Cafemom Healthy Moms  Moderator

30 Something Moms   Moderator

runner-mom
by on Sep. 22, 2010 at 4:29 PM

BUMP- I'm really curious about this one! Anyone else have any money saving healthy shortcuts?

ziff130
by on Sep. 22, 2010 at 4:36 PM

We are broke too. Dh has his job that got him through college and we're still living off that one. When the peaches and blueberries were in season we went to the orchards/farms and picked out own. It's a lot cheaper that way. Then I canned peaches, jams, and peach pie filling (all sweetened with 100% white grape juice... no refined sugars or HFCS). I also froze some and we ate some fresh before they went bad. :)

The other stuff we do you've already mentioned. I look for sales and good deals. I make a lot of stuff from scratch at home and grew my own garden. :)

Mom2Jack04
by on Sep. 22, 2010 at 4:36 PM

I recommend taking advantage of any farmers markets for fruits and veggies, and canning and freezing what you can for the winter.  I would also stretch the meat/poultry you use in meals.  2 boneless skinless organic chicken breasts will feed my family, when stretched into a stir fry with veggies being more prominent.  Making things from scratch can save.  I buy mostly organic and I only spend about $60 a week for a family of 4.

Not.So.Virginal
by on Sep. 22, 2010 at 4:38 PM

thanx for the tips!

Terri441
by on Sep. 22, 2010 at 4:38 PM
I buy a lot of organic produce on the 50% off rack as it's slightly over-ripe. Then I chop up and freeze the peppers to use in cooking. I make tomato soup and freeze it so I don't have to use cans of soup. It's a great quick meal. I never usually pass up the 50% off produce rack. There's a bit of work when I get home but I love having that food in the freezer.
I home bake almost everything though. And I grow a butt load of our winters supply if veggies and this year kidney beans as well. I love growing our own food.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
runner-mom
by on Sep. 22, 2010 at 4:46 PM

What sorts of things do you ladies make from scratch? 

vv56964
by on Sep. 22, 2010 at 4:48 PM

Quoting Mom2Jack04:

I recommend taking advantage of any farmers markets for fruits and veggies, and canning and freezing what you can for the winter. 

Farmer's markets in this area are 3 times what they are at the grocery store:(

vv56964
by on Sep. 22, 2010 at 4:51 PM

Ladies, these are some great ideas, but our veggies and fruits are so expensive!  We stock up on frozen because they are cheaper, but my husband and I just discussed going "cleaner" and our foodbill is already $500...I'm afraid what "Cleaner" will entail.

We are a veggie/vegan household so the meat expense is not something that we have to worry about it.  Our only "splurge" is soy and almond milk, which we seem to go through like crazy right now.

Terri441
by on Sep. 22, 2010 at 4:54 PM
Most tomato based stuff (soup, sauce, ketchup)
Bread
Any baking (cookies, muffins)
Soups and chowders (most of them freeze great so I cook a huge batch and then freeze a bunch, same goes for chili's etc)
Oh and often, but not always, noodles

Quoting runner-mom:

What sorts of things do you ladies make from scratch? 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)