Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

as much as we would like to, not all of us have the luxury of shopping the high end organic products from the natural foods stores. So, what are your tips for chosing healthy prodcuts, while on a budget, for your family?

We aer currently down to a one small income household temporarily, so we buy organic when we can...but when we can't...

-we buy fruits and veggies that are seasonal.  Here in SC recently we were able to get local peaches as low as $0.70 a lb

-Fresh veggies are best, but frozen are still a healthy cheaper alternative.  I try to stock up when local grocery stores offer really good sales on their frozen veggies

-I've noticed a lot of grocery stores are jumping on the organic bandwagon with "generic" organic.  "Nature's place" organic is a brand I've been able to find at Kroger and Food Lion, and it's hardly any more expensive than the non organic store brands. 

Run Like a MOM!!                        my blog               Cafemom Healthy Moms

by on Sep. 22, 2010 at 11:35 AM
Replies (21-24):
smurfy88
by Jessica on Sep. 23, 2010 at 12:22 PM

we are in the same boat, we are on a budget and sometimes healthy foods are more expensive. I look for sales and I try to budget in other place such as buying cheaper shampoo, household items etc... to have money to buy healthier food.

rkoloms
by on Sep. 23, 2010 at 8:43 PM

Quoting runner-mom:

I should try this too. Beans ARE cheap! What's setian?

Seitan is also known as wheat-meat. It is a staple of vegetarian cooking, and can be used in many different ways.

Robin in Chicago

runner-mom
by on Sep. 23, 2010 at 8:45 PM

Quoting smurfy88:

we are in the same boat, we are on a budget and sometimes healthy foods are more expensive. I look for sales and I try to budget in other place such as buying cheaper shampoo, household items etc... to have money to buy healthier food.

We haven't crossed over into the green aspect of health/beauty items (one step at a time!) so I've learned to coupon/CVS deal hunt.  When you do it right, with coupons and their extra care bucks specials, you can walk out of their with shampoos, shave gels, razors, tampons, etc for practially FREE.  I can't believe it took me so long to hear about that! It has helped me feel better about spending more on food

Run Like a MOM!!                        my blog               Cafemom Healthy Moms

Heidi428
by on Sep. 23, 2010 at 9:32 PM

One way we save money is to buy in bulk.  I buy spices, rice, oats, and flax seed this way. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN