Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Your body image....

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: How would you rate your current body image?

Options:

Very positive

Positive

Sometimes positive, sometimes negative

negative

very negative

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 38

View Results

by on Sep. 22, 2010 at 2:36 PM
Replies (21-28):
mcginnisc
by Member on Sep. 23, 2010 at 5:05 PM

Quoting runner-mom:

CONGRATS on the weight loss! Is that a body bugg?

Quoting mcginnisc:

This was me in December 09'.....talk about a negative body image! I was miserable! I never had weight issues until I got married and we moved to ND where it snows constantly and I stopped being active. I got lazy..then I became a Chef and being around food all the time made it worse. I woke up and have lost 54 lbs! I was 167 lbs. 5'1" and a size 12...

This is me now... 114 lbs and a size 1 in juniors...my body image is much improved! I still see the tummy, but it is getting there... I work out intensely 6 days per week and it is finally getting smaller. I was shocked when I looked into the mirror this morning and noticed how toned my tummy was starting to be- there is some definition now! Whoo hoo!!! My husband loves my new body, of course he loved the old one as well, but now..... yeah, he's loving it! I'm close to where I was 19 years ago when we started dating, athough I never want to be 85 lbs again!

I'm much happier now that I've lost 54 lbs.

Claire

YES!! I LOVE my Bugg! It is the most efficient tool that I've found for weight loss. It has made me soooooo accountable to myself! If I sit down, I feel guilty and get up to do anything at all to burn calories... Dh fusses at me to sit down and relax constantly. LOL

It tracks my burn, as well as when I input my food intake ( which I'm slightly anal about weighing out) it tracks my calories, proteins, carbs, cholesterol, sodium, fiber, calcium, fats, and saturated fats. It also gives me a graph of how my macros are balancing.

This is Dh in December... he was around 250ish...he has lost 75 lbs or so...

This was in May at the Warrior Dash...he has lost about 10-15 pounds since then! He is down to about 180 lbs now.

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phillipians 4:13

Group Mod- Healthy Weight Loss

Group Mod- Skinny B#$%&

KITTYCAT1
by on Sep. 23, 2010 at 6:06 PM

Very negative

xansammom
by on Sep. 23, 2010 at 7:25 PM

I am so pleased to see that a majority of you have positive body images, but sadly mine is negative and I feel guilty about food many times. I can see a woman who weighs more than me and I think she looks fabulous but when I look in the mirror, it becomes self-deprecating time

ziff130
by on Sep. 24, 2010 at 7:36 AM

Thank you soooo much for sharing! :) That's very interesting stuff.

Quoting vv56964:

Upon graduating with my psychology degree, I conducted research on body image and our distortions of them.  For example, when I look in the mirror I see a size 8, but when I try on clothes, I am actually a size 4.  The point is that we typically picture ourselves larger than we really are.  Below are some excerpts of my research on this topic.

Demarest and Allen found that women not only perceived themselves as heavier than their ideal body image, but also predicted that men preferred a smaller figure than their actual preference (Demarest and Allen 2000).

Mintz and Kashubeck foudn that ethnicities viewed themselves as larger than their actual body image and Asian-Americans exhibited signs of lower self-esteem and poorer body image than Caucasians (1999).

The findings that AA women are more satisfied with their body image has been substantiated by Russell and Cos in their findings with college females by determining that "African American women had lower social physique anxiety and body dissatisfaction than Caucasian females" (Russell and Cox 2003).

Webster and Tiggemann showed that body dissatisfaction was not specific to one age group, but spanned all age groups equally (2003). 

Hargreaves and Tiggemann found that appearance-related televition commercials resulted in greater body dissatisfaction among females, both tenneagers and young adults, than those individuals who did not view the appearance-related television commercials (2003).

McCabe and Ricciardelli found that sociocultural variables of peers, media and family had a greater influence over a person's body dissatisfaction than biological factors of age (2003).

MY RESEARCH

We found that the majority of participants that resulted in a negative difference in body image, their ideal body image was less than their perceived body image, were over 22 years of age.

The majority of participants in all categories that held a negative body image preferred a body image one figure less than their perceived image.

We determined that 75% of females experienced body dissatisfaction and 59% of males also experienced negative body dissatisfaction.

Several questions confirmed our original hypothesis that individuals with a desire for power and control will have a negative body image.

PLEASE NOTE:

everything above "my research" was pulled from other research articles.  I can't find my references page so the details are unavailable.

ziff130
by on Sep. 24, 2010 at 7:37 AM

I have to ask.... what is a body bugg?? I get that mcginnisc said it keeps track of calories and stuff like that but.... ???? I guess I'm going to google. hehe!

Quoting runner-mom:

CONGRATS on the weight loss! Is that a body bugg?

Quoting mcginnisc:

This was me in December 09'.....talk about a negative body image! I was miserable! I never had weight issues until I got married and we moved to ND where it snows constantly and I stopped being active. I got lazy..then I became a Chef and being around food all the time made it worse. I woke up and have lost 54 lbs! I was 167 lbs. 5'1" and a size 12...

This is me now... 114 lbs and a size 1 in juniors...my body image is much improved! I still see the tummy, but it is getting there... I work out intensely 6 days per week and it is finally getting smaller. I was shocked when I looked into the mirror this morning and noticed how toned my tummy was starting to be- there is some definition now! Whoo hoo!!! My husband loves my new body, of course he loved the old one as well, but now..... yeah, he's loving it! I'm close to where I was 19 years ago when we started dating, athough I never want to be 85 lbs again!

I'm much happier now that I've lost 54 lbs.

Claire

mcginnisc
by Member on Sep. 24, 2010 at 7:43 AM

Quoting ziff130:

I have to ask.... what is a body bugg?? I get that mcginnisc said it keeps track of calories and stuff like that but.... ???? I guess I'm going to google. hehe!

A bodybugg is worn on the left bicep/tricep area. It has sensors on it that measure your calorie burn for every second of the day as well as your steps. It pops out of the armband and is then uploaded to the bodybugg website. It shows you how many calories per minute you've burned vs consumed.. you also have to input your food into the site. It gives you a nutrition breakdown, as well as a deficit. You can tailor fit a workout program and diet as well.

By using the bodybugg I was able to really see what activities burn the most calories for my body, if my goals were realistic ( they were as I've met them already), and really look at my diet since it breaks it down. It's $200, but well worth it!

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phillipians 4:13

Group Mod- Healthy Weight Loss

Group Mod- Skinny B#$%&

SabrinaLC
by on Sep. 24, 2010 at 10:38 AM

very negative :-(

I've always hated my body.  In 4th grade I started wearing a bra and thought my thighs were fat  ::sigh::

rei_aianami
by on Sep. 24, 2010 at 11:54 AM

im a young mommy,

im used to th whole being fat thing, but now...im caked with stretch marks, my boobs are saggy, and i cant loose the baby fat... im tryin, but cld use advice

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)