Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

most important factor for moms

Posted by on Sep. 22, 2010 at 8:37 PM
  • 7 Replies
Mom's need to be healthy. If you needed a surrogate to help you have a baby. What are the most important hralth factors that would make or break a candidate.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 22, 2010 at 8:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
runner-mom
by on Sep. 22, 2010 at 8:56 PM

oh wow that's a deep question!

Well let's see...

absolutely no smoking, recreational drugs, or drinking alcohol. I know some people think wine is ok, but in my eyes (and since it would be my baby) that's a no-no.

I'd like someone health oriented that likes to eat well and exercise....BUT...having had two babies myself, I know good intentions are as far as that gets sometimes!  ( I ate alright with my first but didn't work out, then worked out a lot during my second pregnancy, but ate taco bell almost every day, oye!)  So I wouldn't necessarily say that would make or break a candidate. But like I said, having good intentions would be important.  I wouldnt' want someone who would say "screw that, I'm drinking soda and eating lunchmeat everyday", LOL!  you know?

I'd also want them to see a midwife or obgyn regularly.  I'm completely for home births and natural pregnancies, but I am also a fan of being monitored throughout the pregnancy. My youngest had a kidney condition in utero and at birth that I personally showed no symptoms of, but we were lucky it was caught in an ultrasound. 

Hmmm I guess that's it for now!  I'm sure I'd think of more if I really ever had to consider this...

Run Like a MOM!!                        my blog               Cafemom Healthy Moms

ziff130
by on Sep. 22, 2010 at 9:18 PM

Yeah... I agree with runnermom.... no recreational drugs, smoking or drinking at all! Just someone who takes the necessary precautions... no sushi or deli meat, stay away from litter boxes, go to the doctor/midwife regularly...etc. All the things that I consider common sense. ;)

e-doolittle
by Kelly on Sep. 23, 2010 at 12:09 AM

Look into their family health history too.  Does diabetes run in the family or does she have risk factors for it? 

ziff130
by on Sep. 23, 2010 at 7:19 AM

Quoting e-doolittle:

Look into their family health history too.  Does diabetes run in the family or does she have risk factors for it? 

Would that affect a surrogacy? I didn't realize that. :/

e-doolittle
by Kelly on Sep. 23, 2010 at 8:40 AM

It's how well she holds up to the PG.  For example, if she has risk factors for diabetes, she could get gestational diabetes.  There are many complications associated with GD and they are caused by that's person's body chemistry.   Heart disease or history of preclampsia are others that pop into my head.

Quoting ziff130:

Quoting e-doolittle:

Kelly, Fall 2008 babies! CO-Group Owner

Cafemom Healthy Moms  Moderator

30 Something Moms   Moderator

IllinoisHawkeye
by on Sep. 23, 2010 at 9:03 AM
Plus, there was a study done recently that conditions you develop in pregnancy can relate to the child's health later in life. It was really interesting.

Quoting e-doolittle:

It's how well she holds up to the PG.  For example, if she has risk factors for diabetes, she could get gestational diabetes.  There are many complications associated with GD and they are caused by that's person's body chemistry.   Heart disease or history of preclampsia are others that pop into my head.

Quoting ziff130:

Quoting e-doolittle:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IllinoisHawkeye
by on Sep. 23, 2010 at 9:06 AM
I for one would prefer someone who had gone through pregnancy before (maybe this is a requirement) - so they would have experience with the whole process. And hopefully then they would know how their body reacts to pregnancy. Some people just have a harder time with it, you know?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)