Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Ok so my MIL brought over some small pumpkins for me..I guess just to sit there and look pretty. But i keep wanting to use them for something. Some sort of food. It doesn't matter what it is, i just dont want them sitting there rotting. So can you ladies help with some great easy recipes for fresh pumpkins. Ive never cooked with them before so explain what i do..thanks!!!

by on Sep. 23, 2010 at 10:00 AM
Replies (11-13):
rkoloms
by on Sep. 23, 2010 at 8:35 PM

This is my very favorite way to serve pumpkin. Kids love it, and it is so much better than a pie made with canned stuff:

Colonial Baked Whole Pumpkin "Pie"

A 4 to 6 lb (2 to 3 kg) pumpkin
6 eggs
2 cups (500 ml) whipping cream
1/2 cup (125 ml) brown sugar
2 tsp (10 ml) molasses
1/2 tsp (2 ml) freshly grated nutmeg
1 tsp (5 ml) cinnamon
1/2 tsp (2 ml) allspice
1/4 tsp (1 ml) powdered ginger
2 Tbs (30 ml) butter

Remove the top of the pumpkin and scrape out the seeds and membranes as though you were making a jack-o'lantern.  Mix the remaining ingredients together except the butter and pour into the pumpkin. Top with the butter, put the lid of the pumpkinin place, and place in a large baking dish.  Bake at 350F (180C) for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, until the mixture has set. Serve from the pumpkin at the table, scraping a little of the pumpkin flesh to accompany each serving. Serves 6 to 8.

Robin in Chicago

littlepunk06
by on Sep. 24, 2010 at 8:31 AM

Quoting rkoloms:

This is my very favorite way to serve pumpkin. Kids love it, and it is so much better than a pie made with canned stuff:

6 eggs
2 tsp (10 ml) molasses
1 tsp (5 ml) cinnamon
1/2 tsp (2 ml) allspice
2 Tbs (30 ml) butter

Remove the top of the pumpkin and scrape out the seeds and membranes as though you were making a jack-o'lantern.  Mix the remaining ingredients together except the butter and pour into the pumpkin. Top with the butter, put the lid of the pumpkinin place, and place in a large baking dish.  Bake at 350F (180C) for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, until the mixture has set. Serve from the pumpkin at the table, scraping a little of the pumpkin flesh to accompany each serving. Serves 6 to 8.

thank you so much!!! it sounds so yummy!!!

rkoloms
by on Sep. 24, 2010 at 1:06 PM

Quoting littlepunk06:

Quoting rkoloms:

6 eggs
2 tsp (10 ml) molasses
1 tsp (5 ml) cinnamon
1/2 tsp (2 ml) allspice
2 Tbs (30 ml) butter

thank you so much!!! it sounds so yummy!!!

It is yummy. It is not healthy!

Robin in Chicago

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN