Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

When More Isn't Better

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2010 at 11:04 AM
  • 9 Replies

I'm a huge advocate for our nutrients coming from the food we eat, versus from supplements.  Granted, sometimes we need the supplements.  More often though, if we're eating a balanced, healthy diet, we're fine.

In recent years, multiple studies have touted the benefits of following a diet rich in antioxidant vitamins such as C and E. (And blueberries! LOL) Now, new findings show that while antioxidant-rich foods are fine when eaten in large quantities, taking too many antioxidants in supplement form can put our health at risk.

Researchers at Cedars-Sinai Heart Instittue report that many people take way too many vitamins, believing that if a little is good, a lot must better - but that is not the case. "If you are taking 10 or 100 times the amount in a daily multivitamin, you may be predisposing your cells to developing cancer." warns institute director, Dr. Eduardo Marban, who led the study.

~Destiny

Listen to your body. It will tell you all you need to know.
Healthy Moms Moderator - Come join us!
Kids' Health Center Moderator - Your kids will thank you!

by on Sep. 23, 2010 at 11:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
smurfy88
by Jessica on Sep. 23, 2010 at 12:20 PM

Good information!

e-doolittle
by Kelly on Sep. 23, 2010 at 2:20 PM

interesting!

ziff130
by on Sep. 23, 2010 at 2:32 PM

Wow... scary. Glad I don't take vitamins. ;) I try to... I can just never remember to.

runner-mom
by on Sep. 23, 2010 at 2:50 PM

with all the fortified food we eat, most people don't even need vitamins!    I've always thought one mulitvitamin is MORE than enough. I take a multi every other day, and a fish oil, and that's it for supplements. Everything else is from food, the best source :)

vv56964
by on Sep. 23, 2010 at 3:14 PM

Everything leads to cancer nowadays...it's sad how studies keep changing and we believe them...what really is true?

runner-mom
by on Sep. 23, 2010 at 3:26 PM

Quoting vv56964:

Everything leads to cancer nowadays...it's sad how studies keep changing and we believe them...what really is true?

I know right?  In this case though, regardless of cancer, you can overdose on specific vitamins.  Certain vitamins we store in our body longer than others. Say you eat something already high in a specific vitamin, and you are storing the excess in your body. Then you take a multi vitamin with 100% RDA of that vitamin. THEN, on top of that, you are taking another supplement of that specific vitamin (like, A, D, etc)....and before you know it you are taking 400%RDA of that vitamin daily.   It can lead to toxicity and problems more immediate and more severe than cancer!

Run Like a MOM!!                        my blog               Cafemom Healthy Moms

DestMasters
by on Sep. 23, 2010 at 8:25 PM

Exactly. I still think that if we eat properly, fresh food, whole food, we're good with nutrients.

I remember when Airborne first came out and everyone was so excited because it was this supposedly safe and natural way to stay healthy. Then a bunch of people got really sick and really toxic because of excessive Vitamin A. It can be deadly.

I don't think many people understand that our bodies really are finely tuned devices and bombarding them with anything, even something "healthy", is not good.

irishcoffee
by on Sep. 23, 2010 at 10:52 PM

Really?  Two and three winters ago, Airborne saved my neck!  Last year I didn't use it at all, and I found a simmilar product at Whole Foods.  Going to have to look at it now.  Ugh.

Quoting DestMasters:

Exactly. I still think that if we eat properly, fresh food, whole food, we're good with nutrients.

I remember when Airborne first came out and everyone was so excited because it was this supposedly safe and natural way to stay healthy. Then a bunch of people got really sick and really toxic because of excessive Vitamin A. It can be deadly.

I don't think many people understand that our bodies really are finely tuned devices and bombarding them with anything, even something "healthy", is not good.

H.I.S.
by on Sep. 23, 2010 at 11:53 PM

I totally agree with you! Thanks for this post!

Quoting DestMasters:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN