Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Beans

Posted by on Sep. 26, 2010 at 4:45 PM
  • 41 Replies

What do you make with beans?  The only thing I ever make is chilli...i'd like to expand to something different, LOL! Does anyone have a great recipie that calls for beans?

Run Like a MOM!!                        my blog               Cafemom Healthy Moms

by on Sep. 26, 2010 at 4:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
inkedmomma84
by on Sep. 26, 2010 at 4:59 PM

How about black bean burgers?

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/homemade-black-bean-veggie-burgers/Detail.aspx

smurfy88
by Jessica on Sep. 26, 2010 at 5:14 PM

black bean burgers are soooo good, but my husband HATES them he says "its not a burger if theres no meat" ugh...

sarasloveable
by on Sep. 26, 2010 at 5:21 PM
Black bean burgers, bean soup, pork hocks and beans or beans using a ham bone
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
e-doolittle
by Kelly on Sep. 26, 2010 at 6:47 PM

I would like a good baked bean recipe.  I found an organic one in a can, but there still is a lot of added sugars.

inkedmomma84
by on Sep. 26, 2010 at 8:46 PM

Hahahahaha. Typical man....meat and potatoes only....

Quoting smurfy88:

black bean burgers are soooo good, but my husband HATES them he says "its not a burger if theres no meat" ugh...

I Run Like a Mom!

rkoloms
by on Sep. 26, 2010 at 9:08 PM

Quoting e-doolittle:

I would like a good baked bean recipe.  I found an organic one in a can, but there still is a lot of added sugars.

This is the best baked bean recipe ever: 

Maple Baked Beans:

1 pound dry kidney beans
1 large diced onion
1/4 cup diced Wakame (optional)
3/4 cups  pure maple syrup
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup ketchup
1 Tablespoon Thai sweet chili sauce
1 Tablespoon fresh grated ginger
1 pkg. Smoked Tempah Strips

Place the beans in a large bowl cover with water overnight in fridge. Drain, rinse and drain again. Place beans, onion and wakame in a large pot with 2 quarts of water. Bring to a boil then simmer until beans are tender about an hour. Place maple syrup, sugar, ketchup, chili sauce, 1 1/2 cups water and ginger in a sauce pan  bring to a boil then simmer 10 minutes. Drain beans but save water to use if needed in baking. Put half 
the beans in a 9 x 12 pan cover with half of the tempah strips cover with remaining beans and strips pour sauce on top. Bake at 225 for 6-8 hours stir every other hour adding liquid if dries out.

Robin in Chicago

rkoloms
by on Sep. 26, 2010 at 9:10 PM

Quoting runner-mom:

What do you make with beans?  The only thing I ever make is chilli...i'd like to expand to something different, LOL! Does anyone have a great recipie that calls for beans?

We have bean or lentils just about every day. One of my daughter's favorite afterschool snacks is refried beans with cheese, avocado, and a toasted tortilla.

Here are a couple of recipes my family loves. I will be happy to post more, if you would like:

Sweet Potato Burritos
3 teaspoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
6 cups canned kidney beans, drained (I use home cooked black beans; you can use any bean)
2 cups water
3 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
4 teaspoons prepared mustard
1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
4 cups cooked and mashed sweet potatoes
12 whole wheat tortillas, warmed
shredded cheese (whatever you have)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat oil in a medium skillet, and sauté onion and garlic in until soft. Stir in beans, and mash. Gradually stir in water and heat until warm. Remove from heat, and stir in the chili powder, cumin, mustard, cayenne pepper and soy sauce. Divide bean mixture and mashed sweet potatoes evenly between the warm flour tortillas. Top with cheese. Fold up tortillas burrito style. Bake for 12 minutes in the preheated oven, and serve. NOTE: I put the cheese inside and freeze burritos wrapped in wax paper in a big zipper bag; they can be microwaved safely in the wax paper.

Southwest Falafel 

Patties
1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans (drained and rinsed) (any bean, canned or 1.5 cups home cooked)
1/2 cup shredded Monterrey jack cheese
1/4 cup finely crushed baked tortilla chips
2 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro
1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
1 large egg white
1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
Spread - I don't use this part; I mash an avocado with salsa and fat free yogurt (Greek-style is best)
1/4 cup mashed peeled avocado
2 tablespoons finely chopped plum tomato
1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion
2 tablespoons sour cream
1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 (6 inch) pita's, each cut in half crosswise - I use 4 whole wheat tortillas
To prepare patties, place pinto beans in a medium bowl; partially mash with a fork. Add cheese and next 5 ingredients (through egg white) stir until well combined. Form into 4 (1/2 inch thick) oval patties.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add patties; cook 3 min on each side or until patties are browned and thoroughly heated.
To prepare spread, while patties cook, combine avocado, tomato, red onion, sour cream, lime juice, and salt. Place one patty in each pita half. Spread about 2 tablespoons of spread over patty in each pita half.

Robin in Chicago

Elijahsmommy508
by on Sep. 26, 2010 at 9:12 PM
I make spaghetti and ''beanballs'' (instead of meatballs, risotto with white beans, and throw them in soups too. We are vegetarian so we eat a lot of beans. :)
vv56964
by on Sep. 26, 2010 at 9:50 PM

SO much!  Lentil burgers, "un"sloppy joes, casseroles, burritos, enchiladas.....

smurfy88
by Jessica on Sep. 26, 2010 at 10:41 PM
Lol yep!

Quoting inkedmomma84:

Hahahahaha. Typical man....meat and potatoes only....

Quoting smurfy88:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN