Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

healthy eating....is it expensive?????????

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 6:00 PM
  • 30 Replies

do you believe it???why and why not???

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 6:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
e-doolittle
by Kelly on Sep. 28, 2010 at 6:40 PM

I believe it's expensive.  There seems to be a premium to whole foods.  And organics are definitely more expensive.   I have heard the argument that you eat less so it evens out but that doesn't seem to work for us.

Kelly, Fall 2008 babies! Group Owner

Cafemom Healthy Moms  Moderator

30 Something Moms   Moderator

ziff130
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 6:55 PM

Yes!! People keep telling me that it's not more expensive but my grocery bill tells me differently. :) Fresh foods are more expensive than fresh or frozen. Free range/organic meats or organic anything is incredibly expensive. Raw milk is $8/gal when regular milk is less than $3/gal. Almond and organic milk is more expensive too... almost as much as raw. Sugary cereals and snacks are cheaper than dried fruits and nuts. The only thing I can think of that is cheaper is water instead of cool-aid or sodas.

runner-mom
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:03 PM

Yes and No.  It IS expensive, but healthy, wholesome foods are much more filling and satisfying, therefore, in theory, you eat less....

mcginnisc
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:08 PM

Considering my grocery bill is $800 a month for 4 people...Dh, myself, 2 yr old and an almost 5 year old...it IS more pricey. My cart contains more fresh produce than anything and it is crazy...I went to the store yesterday and spent $100...mostly on produce. I buy very little processed stuff- the stuff I do get is cereal, pasta, bread....and it is all whole grain.

When my garden was producing I had cut my bill to $300 per month...now it's inching back up quickly. My tomatoes are finished, my cucumbers, zucchini, eggplant, and squash are done, and my beans are dying off as well...

Claire

Not.So.Virginal
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:57 PM

I dont think it has to be. It depends on what you eat and your version of healthy

H.I.S.
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:21 PM

It does cost more for fresh, organic, raw foods, but I personally think it's better to spend the money on healthy food, than on medical bills later.

vv56964
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:26 PM

Quoting mcginnisc:

Considering my grocery bill is $800 a month for 4 people...Dh, myself, 2 yr old and an almost 5 year old...it IS more pricey. My cart contains more fresh produce than anything and it is crazy...I went to the store yesterday and spent $100...mostly on produce. I buy very little processed stuff- the stuff I do get is cereal, pasta, bread....and it is all whole grain.

When my garden was producing I had cut my bill to $300 per month...now it's inching back up quickly. My tomatoes are finished, my cucumbers, zucchini, eggplant, and squash are done, and my beans are dying off as well...

Claire

I'm right there with you, but ours is closer to $600

H.I.S.
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:31 PM

Quoting vv56964:

Quoting mcginnisc:

Claire

I'm right there with you, but ours is closer to $600

Same here. We just have three people though, so ours is about $400-$450 per month.

kchoudhary34
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:20 PM

Nope, it doesn't have to be. Stay on the perimeter of the store. Buy produce that is in season. Buy meat for a few meals, but eat whole grain pasta one meal, and maybe a bean based meal as well. Black beans are fabulous for you and very reasonably priced. Eggs are another great healthy meal that don't cost much. Drink water and that saves on drink costs...or at least keeps it down.

I'm a fitness/nutrtion coach and glad to help anyone who wants some more ideas, help, or has questions!

toomanypoodles
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 8:08 AM

We started saving money---a LOT of money once we started eating healthy.  I buy beans and lentils and grains in bulk---usually around 50 cents a pound.  Packaged and processed foods cost a ton!

No way, MUCH cheaper eating heathy foods. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN