Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

i know its been discussed a million times

Posted by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 1:51 AM
  • 15 Replies
But I have finally decided to try no poo, can someone please tell me the exact measurements and what I should expect at first and can I still use conditioner?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 1:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
inkedmomma84
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 6:44 AM

It really varies on the length of your hair. I use 1/2 a tablespoon of baking soda, which is just right for my very short hair. You may need to play around a bit to find out exactly what works for you.

As for conditioner, I use apple cider vinegar. I filled a spray bottle with half ACV and half water. I use that in between baking soda washes...I can go for up to 4-5 days using just ACV before I need to use the b/s again. If you are not a fan of the ACV smell (which I am not), I threw in a dash of vanilla extract and a cinnamon stick, which does the trick for me.

What to expect--most people go through a greasy period while their hair readjusts. I was lucky and did not experience such a period...it may have something to do with the fact that I'm pregnant. Not really sure. If you do experience greasiness, there are various remedies available. 

It does take some getting used to. I was so accustomed to that stripped clean feeling you get after shampooing that it was hard to feel like I'd done anything to my hair. But now that my hair is getting used to having the natural oils in it again....it doesn't bother me. My hair looks great.

This website has some excellent information:

http://babyslime.livejournal.com/174054.html

Also, one of the group members, Brea (Philosowife) has a blog that has great information:

http://contentedlycrunchy.blogspot.com/2010/09/haircare-from-baking-aisle-why-and-how.html

Good luck! 

ziff130
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 8:28 AM

Here's a blog post I have on it. http://pandlsmithfamily.blogspot.com/2010/09/no-poo.html There are links and stuff in there too to other articles.

e-doolittle
by Kelly on Sep. 29, 2010 at 8:52 AM
Do you pasteurized ACV or raw?
smurfy88
by Jessica on Sep. 29, 2010 at 12:09 PM
Ok thanks! I will raed these links when I get to a computer!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
inkedmomma84
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 4:31 PM

Ummm, I guess I have no idea. I just buy a jug from our local grocery store....

Quoting e-doolittle:

I Run Like a Mom!

ziff130
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 6:36 PM

Quoting inkedmomma84:

Ummm, I guess I have no idea. I just buy a jug from our local grocery store....

Quoting e-doolittle:

hehe! Me too. ;)

smurfy88
by Jessica on Sep. 30, 2010 at 12:30 PM

okay I read your blog and this might be a stupid question but for baking soda it said 1 tsb is that tablespoon or teaspoon?

Quoting ziff130:

Here's a blog post I have on it. http://pandlsmithfamily.blogspot.com/2010/09/no-poo.html There are links and stuff in there too to other articles.

ziff130
by on Sep. 30, 2010 at 2:56 PM

haha!! oops! 1 tbs... that's just what I use though. Others use different amounts. My hair comes a little past my shoulders and is thick and curly.

Quoting smurfy88:

okay I read your blog and this might be a stupid question but for baking soda it said 1 tsb is that tablespoon or teaspoon?

Quoting ziff130:

rkoloms
by on Sep. 30, 2010 at 5:10 PM

I keep a container of baking soda and a bottle of apple cider vinegar in the shower. I take around a tablespoon of baking soda, and add enough vinegar to make a paste.

DestMasters
by on Oct. 1, 2010 at 8:40 AM

Yes, it can vary and the trick is figuring out what works best for you.

Personally, it took me about 6 weeks to get used to it. I was one who washed my hair every other day. My hair is past the middle of my back and I use probably a rounded teaspoon of baking soda mixed with 7 ounces of water.  I wet my hair really well and then I put a good, organic conditioner on the ends. Then I wash my 'head' with the mixed up baking soda and water.  Once it's all on my head, I massage it in really well then I rinse. I only use the ACV and water rinse every other time or two.  When I use it, it's usually about 2 teaspoons to 7 ounces of water and then I just use half the bottle and save the rest for next time. I use raw ACV because it's what I have here.

When I first started, I did the no-poo and then didn't wash my hair for four days. It was oily but it was my scalps normal reaction. Shampoo strips out the naturally occuring oils and works overtime. It doesn't stop as soon as we stop the shampoo. The second round I was hardly oily at all.  It got better each time. Now I only "no-poo" my hair every 5 - 7 days.  My hair has never looked better and it's incredibly damaged from years of abuse (color, using the wrong kind of brush, styling products, etc.)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)