Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

The half life of a happy meal

Posted by on Sep. 30, 2010 at 12:07 PM
  • 21 Replies

So, what are your thoughts?  Real or fake? The McDonalds representatives claim this MUST have been frozen or tampered with. I'm going with real...

Half-life of a Happy Meal?

By NESITA KWAN
Updated 6:33 PM CDT, Wed, Sep 29, 2010

Before you take your next bite of that McDonalds burger and fries you might want to take a look at these photos. 

It would appear that Oak Brook-based McDonalds makes an indestructible product.

New York artist Sally Davies wondered what would happen if she simply left a burger and fries on a shelf for six months. So she did  exactly that with a McDonald's Happy Meal.

Davies checked on the food roughly every three days and took a picture each time. Judging from her images, Day One and Day 137 aren't that different.  Wonder if she did a taste test?

Photos: The Indestructible Happy Meal Project

So what is it that preserves this children's meal from the Golden Arches, you might ask.

Food scientists say it's two things: fat, and salt.

The more fat a product contains the less moisture it absorbs, and the less likely the food is to decay because elements like mold have trouble growing. Fifty percent of the calories in McDonald's burgers and fries come from fat.

Salt also prohibits moisture, and the Happy Meal has plenty to spare. One Mickey D's happy meal provides around half the daily recommended intake of sodium for an adult.

In a statement, a spokesman for McDonald's of Canada said its food is "freshly prepared and assembed ... for direct consumption."

"While the variables with regard to factors such as temperature, moisture and exposure to light are endless, it is possible that food items kept under particular conditions will not show any sign of decay or rot over a long period of time.

This natural process is not unique to McDonald's food.

Run Like a MOM!!                        my blog               Cafemom Healthy Moms

by on Sep. 30, 2010 at 12:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Not.So.Virginal
by on Sep. 30, 2010 at 12:08 PM

i didnt look at the pics, but if the bun wasnt moldy, i'm gonna go with BS

Terri441
by on Sep. 30, 2010 at 12:18 PM
It's at least true about the fries...I had one on the dash of my car for over a year and it still looked the same.
As far as thebun goes...that's the whole point, enough preservatives and stuff doesn't rot. Bread I make will mold after less than a week on the counter whereas store bought bread will last a LOT longer unrefrigerated.
I'm not saying it's true. Just saying there's a bizillion reasons why fast food is GARBAGE
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
runner-mom
by on Sep. 30, 2010 at 12:27 PM

Here's why I think it's true:  My car has been a rolling science experiment. LMAO

I really try not to feed the boys fast food, but we do a lot of traveling and occasionally I will stop by burger king or McDonalds.  Long story short, weeks later I took the carseats out to clean them and found pieces of chicken nuggets and fries....looking EXACTLY the same.  Now you would think chicken would get gross and even attract bugs or SOMETHING.  But nope. Just a little bit harder and looking the same.

Barf!

Run Like a MOM!!                        my blog               Cafemom Healthy Moms

smurfy88
by Jessica on Sep. 30, 2010 at 12:35 PM

I have had the same experience with chicken, I once left chicken nuggets that werent from fast food in the car and a week later i found them and they were moldy, did the same with mcdonalds no mold no difference!

kristinas8
by on Oct. 2, 2010 at 4:17 PM

I've done the accidental carseat french fry test and yup, there's no change. EWWWWWW!!!!!!!!

ballerina.2006
by on Oct. 2, 2010 at 4:50 PM
I believe it! Before i figured out my ds hates meat, I would finsd burger patty hiding behind/next to his carseat exactly the same, often times with the bun...The fries will look the same regardless of enviornment. I had a high school teach put them in a jar as an experiement.... needless to say when I went back to visit a couple yeara later.... yeah looked the exact same. Nasty huh?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
inkedmomma84
by on Oct. 2, 2010 at 10:08 PM

Ugh. Gross. 

?throwing up

e-doolittle
by Kelly on Oct. 2, 2010 at 11:29 PM
I'm struggling with the bun not molding.
Terri441
by on Oct. 2, 2010 at 11:41 PM
You could buy a happy meal and give it a try?! I'm almost tempted but I won't go to mcdonalds.

Quoting e-doolittle:

I'm struggling with the bun not molding.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JMmama
by on Oct. 2, 2010 at 11:42 PM

I don't know about the hamburger, but those fries never look any different. In fact, I am relatively certain that billions of years from now archeologists will be digging those up looking just like they came straight from the fryer.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN