Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

The half life of a happy meal

Posted by   + Show Post

So, what are your thoughts?  Real or fake? The McDonalds representatives claim this MUST have been frozen or tampered with. I'm going with real...

Half-life of a Happy Meal?

By NESITA KWAN
Updated 6:33 PM CDT, Wed, Sep 29, 2010

Before you take your next bite of that McDonalds burger and fries you might want to take a look at these photos. 

It would appear that Oak Brook-based McDonalds makes an indestructible product.

New York artist Sally Davies wondered what would happen if she simply left a burger and fries on a shelf for six months. So she did  exactly that with a McDonald's Happy Meal.

Davies checked on the food roughly every three days and took a picture each time. Judging from her images, Day One and Day 137 aren't that different.  Wonder if she did a taste test?

Photos: The Indestructible Happy Meal Project

So what is it that preserves this children's meal from the Golden Arches, you might ask.

Food scientists say it's two things: fat, and salt.

The more fat a product contains the less moisture it absorbs, and the less likely the food is to decay because elements like mold have trouble growing. Fifty percent of the calories in McDonald's burgers and fries come from fat.

Salt also prohibits moisture, and the Happy Meal has plenty to spare. One Mickey D's happy meal provides around half the daily recommended intake of sodium for an adult.

In a statement, a spokesman for McDonald's of Canada said its food is "freshly prepared and assembed ... for direct consumption."

"While the variables with regard to factors such as temperature, moisture and exposure to light are endless, it is possible that food items kept under particular conditions will not show any sign of decay or rot over a long period of time.

This natural process is not unique to McDonald's food.

Run Like a MOM!!                        my blog               Cafemom Healthy Moms

by on Sep. 30, 2010 at 12:07 PM
Replies (21-21):
DestMasters
by on Oct. 3, 2010 at 9:12 PM

Ever see SuperSize Me? That guy put a big ol' McDonald's meal on his desk at work at let it sit there for a long time. It didn't change.

We did it where I used to work, with the fries.  I was there over two years and they never changed.  The only difference in the fries between the day we put them there and the day I left the job was that they were no longer hot and didn't give off that "fresh fry" smell.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN