Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

I need a framework...

Posted by on Oct. 1, 2010 at 7:36 PM
  • 7 Replies

Hi all, I need some kind of legitimate guide to healthy eating. I want to cut out high fructose corn syrup completely. I want to switch to organic everything. I want to know how to read labels and what foods are considered to be healthy/unhealthy. We eat ground turkey, is this healthy? I know it is better than beef, but is it processed meat? We live in a small country town, but I don't know where I can buy organic produce, and I don't know how to find out. Would it be sold at walmart? I know a lot of people are against walmart, but it is the cheapest. We also have a foodlion and a shoprite here but anything but store brand foods are significantly marked up.

My daughter is 2 and I want to get her and our family on the right track. I need to figure out how to transition my husband (red meat loving - although he eats turkey bc I made such a big deal about mad cow - comfort foods, high starch, grew up with central VA home cooking kind of guy) to the kind of diet I want us to start eating, or even some kind of middle ground.

I know this is a lot, but I appreciate any and all help someone could give me.

Edited to add: I know genetically modified foods are bad, but how would I even know it if I saw it? Is it written somewhere on the packaging? Sorry if I sound idiotic, I just have no idea.

by on Oct. 1, 2010 at 7:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
evwsquared
by on Oct. 1, 2010 at 7:45 PM

Try Michael Pollan's Food Rules: An Eater's Manual.

1daughter6dogs
by on Oct. 1, 2010 at 7:53 PM

Thank you for the link! :)

Quoting evwsquared:

Try Michael Pollan's Food Rules: An Eater's Manual.

runner-mom
by on Oct. 1, 2010 at 8:39 PM
Start small. Shop the perimeter of the store...fresh fruits and veggies, lean proteins and dairy(if you aren't a vegetarian), fresh whole grains. The center of the store is full of packaged goods. These aren't ALWAYS bad, but the majority are. When buying packaged foods, look at the ingredients. Avoid HFCS at all costs. The less ingredients the better, and if you can't pronounce it...don't eat it!! Hope that helps :). Small steps will result in lasting change
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Elsasmom
by on Oct. 1, 2010 at 9:51 PM

All good questions, runner-mom has good advice. Don't overwhelm yourself by trying to jump in all at once, just get familiar with the labels. Single ingredient foods or "whole" foods are always best, but for packaged stuff less ingredients is more. 

It's not idiotic to wonder about GM foods, what is idiotic is that they are NOT labeled on our foods. A lot of big brand names like Kelloggs, Heinz, Kraft (just to name a few) use GM foods. 

rkoloms
by on Oct. 3, 2010 at 9:01 AM

Change can be hard, especially without a great support system. Let us be your support! 

Start with very simple changes. The easiest is water! Drink/serve 8 glasses a day. This is an instant energy boost, cleanser and helps your body understand the difference between hunger and thirst.

Next, as you run out of foods, replace your simple/white grains witn whole grains. Not only are whole grain more nutritious, they make you feel full quicker, and you feel full longer, than with simple grains, so you eat less 

Next is fruits and vegetables. It takes about ten minutes (depending on your knife skillls) to throw together a fruit salad. My standard one is: clemintines, apple, kiwi, blueberries, dried cranberries (not sugar coated), broken cashews. The mix of flavors and textures is fantastic! You can add or subtract based on what is onhand. We aim for 7-8 servings a day, in at least three different colors.

Add legumes to your family's diet. Have at least one meal a week based on lentils, one on beans, one on tofu

On the weekends, I cook brown rice, beans, burritos, pasta; some get frozen, some get refrigerated.

The key to all of this is meal planning. Write out meals and snacks for a week, base your grocery list on the ingredients that you need to complete your meal plan

Here is a link to a guide to pesticides in produce: http://www.foodnews.org/

You can learn how to avoid genetically modified foods here: http://www.nongmoproject.org/

As a rule of thumb, if an item has an ingredient that you can't purchase at the grocery store, don't buy it.

Robin in Chicago

vv56964
by on Oct. 3, 2010 at 10:06 AM

Quoting runner-mom:

Start small. Shop the perimeter of the store...fresh fruits and veggies, lean proteins and dairy(if you aren't a vegetarian), fresh whole grains. The center of the store is full of packaged goods. These aren't ALWAYS bad, but the majority are. When buying packaged foods, look at the ingredients. Avoid HFCS at all costs. The less ingredients the better, and if you can't pronounce it...don't eat it!! Hope that helps :). Small steps will result in lasting change

One additional guideline that my doctor gave me recently was to not buy something with salt that is 100% of your calories and don't buy anything that has "fat from calories" that is more than 20% of calories. For example....

If the item has 10 calories per serving, your salt should be equal to or less than 10mg.

If the item has 100 calories, your fat per calorie should be less than 20.

e-doolittle
by Kelly on Oct. 3, 2010 at 10:28 AM
Good luck! We're here for you. There's great advice above. It can be so overwhelming to start. E
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)