Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

ewww I know, right?

I flipping LOVE hot dogs. LOVE LOVE LOVE them. But I only have them maybe two or three times a year, at cookouts or a ball game, because I know how DISGUSTING they are, content-wise. (never takes away from how yummy they taste, LOL!)

So tell me, does a healthy hot dog exist?  I mean, I've seen a few nitrate/nitrite free dogs in the store, but they are still full of artificial flavoring, corn sugar, etc.

Anything?

Run Like a MOM!!                        my blog               Cafemom Healthy Moms

by on Nov. 7, 2010 at 6:04 PM
Replies (11-17):
DestMasters
by on Nov. 8, 2010 at 8:57 AM

I no longer eat meat but when I did, I couldn't eat hot dogs without getting migraines because of all the nitrites in them. I found organic, uncured hot dogs that were amazing. I've tried different brands and my favorite was a local one. There are others that are really good though.

Applegate Farms sells "The Great Organic Hot Dog" and they're really yummy. I really like Applegate Farms products.

Whole Foods has a decent selection so if you're close to that, maybe try there?

~Destiny

Be the change.
Healthy Moms Moderator - Come join us!

JohnsMom622
by on Nov. 8, 2010 at 10:02 AM

I eat Smart Dogs, they are made out of soy and are delicious!  You can doctor them up with mustard, ketchup, onions so good.  I have even served them to non-vegetarians at b-b-ques and they didn't know it was the real thing.  Hope you try them!

nannarose1257
by on Nov. 8, 2010 at 2:41 PM

I DON'T KNOW OF ANY THAT ARE ACTUALLY HEALTH. MAYBE NATHAN'S HEBREW ? I ALSO LIKE COESLAW, OR CHILE ON THEM. MMMM GOOD !

MSOmom
by on Nov. 8, 2010 at 7:42 PM

Applegate Farms makes a Certified Organic Stadium Style Uncured Hot Dog.  The ingredients are: "organic grass-fed beef, water, less than 2% of the following: sea salt, organic spices, organic garlic powder, organic paprika, celery powder, organic onion powder, lactic acid starter (not from milk)"

smurfy88
by Jessica on Nov. 8, 2010 at 11:24 PM

I am not a big hot dog fan, but i eat maybe 4 a year

JMmama
by on Nov. 8, 2010 at 11:32 PM

Hey, we all have our vices, right? I buy foster farms turkey dogs because they are less than a dollar for a pack of 8 and they taste good. The "bad" ingredients are less than 2% and in that list is your regular assortment of nitrites/nitrates and corn syrup (not HFCS though). Not great, I know, but we have made really good progress in the healthy eating venue this year. I'm not going to lose sleep over an occasional hotdog.

Georgiesmom003
by on Nov. 9, 2010 at 7:43 AM
My co op sells Grass fed, uncured hot dogs. They are pretty good. My kids love them. Thousand hills cattle company
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN