Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Homemade laundry detergent

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2010 at 6:10 PM
  • 19 Replies

Anyone make their own? It's about the only thing that I don't make and I'd like to so... anyone make their own and please share your recipe. :) Thanks in advance!

by on Nov. 20, 2010 at 6:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DestMasters
by on Nov. 20, 2010 at 6:58 PM

I've been making my own for over 2 years. I'm working but I'll dig out the recipe later and post it. :)

H.I.S.
by on Nov. 20, 2010 at 10:56 PM
BUMP! *waits for recipe*
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TattooMommy143
by on Nov. 20, 2010 at 10:58 PM

Bump!

Scorpio11
by on Nov. 20, 2010 at 10:58 PM

BUMP!

circle.of.life
by on Nov. 21, 2010 at 8:05 AM
Laundry detergenent is really easy if you have an energy effecient washer. Not so easy if you have an old school top loader that does better on liquid detergent than powder.
Powder recipe there's a bunch online. But I use two bars of grates soap. We use ivory generally. Finely grated with a cheese grater. A cup of oxygen clean. Three cups of washing soda. Three cups of borax. Mix together and use 1/4 cup in each load. Works well but there's no scent. You can add essential oils but I havnt had much luck with being able to smell it.

If you are using a top loader that does better with liquid detergent. Grate The soap. One bar or two. And put it in a sauce pan. Add some water to cover the crumbles. And then melt on low stirring often. Now i can't remember exactly but I would make three gallons at a time before I got my new washer. So you need a big bucket.. I think what you do next is fill your bucket with very very hot water about half way. Then add two cups of washing soada and two cups of borax. Stir until well dissolved.then add melted bar soap. And then more water to fill the bucket. Let sit over night. In the morning it will look cloudy and shouldb be kinda thick and congealed like homemade gravy after it's been in the fridge.. use 1/3 cup with each load. Oh I stir it up in the morning and then cover with fowl or Saran wrap and just left it on my washer with a scoop in it.
As far as cleaning power goeww its great we use cloth diaprs and it does hey well with tackeling them. Its also low suddsing so its easier to rinse out of Tue clothes leaving less residue.
Its very in exspensive Also and has neveru left a detergent stain as some cheapbones you buy do
Emil me if I can clarify. I don't always jump on cafe mom. Too busy
Kristibradfute@gmail.com
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hobbit1123
by on Nov. 21, 2010 at 10:33 AM

I know http://www.soapsgonebuy.com/ has a recipe

arielleilani
by on Nov. 21, 2010 at 12:28 PM

This is the one that I use, but I totally want to try yours, circle.of.life! This works pretty well, except on greasy stuff; I bet the oxy-clean would take care of that. My only concern is the environmental impact, which is the main reason I do this. I'll totally look into it, thanks!

I also use glycerin soap or something w/o tallow. I can't find a commercial soap that doesn't have animal products in it, and I'm a vegetarian, so I'm always on the hunt for a good one!

Laundry Detergent

Grate 1 bar of soap, add to 4 cups boiling water.  Lower heat, keep below boil and stir until the soap is melted. Add this mixture to a bucket of 3 gallons of water.

Add 1 cup washing soda, stir 2 min. Add ½ cup Borax, stir 2 minutes. Set overnight.

And you're done. When you wake up in the morning, you'll have a bucket of gelatinous slime that's a paler shade of the soap that you used. One measuring cup full of this slime will be roughly what you need to do a load of laundry - and the ingredients are basically the same as laundry detergent. Thus, out of three gallons, you'll get about 48 loads of laundry. If you do this six times, you'll have used six bars of soap ($0.99 each), one box of washing soda ($2.49 at our store), and about half a box of borax ($2.49 at our store, so $1.25) and make 288 loads of laundry. This comes up to a cost of right around three cents a gallon, or a savings of $70.

I still use stain sprays, but other than that, this stuff does the trick!

ziff130
by on Nov. 21, 2010 at 3:03 PM

Where do you guys get the glycerin soap, washing soda, and borax? Okay... I think I saw glycerin in Hobby Lobby but I have no idea where to get the other stuff. Sorry to sound ignorant... I just really have no idea where to start. :)

loopycare
by on Nov. 21, 2010 at 3:30 PM

Quoting circle.of.life:

Laundry detergenent is really easy if you have an energy effecient washer. Not so easy if you have an old school top loader that does better on liquid detergent than powder.
Powder recipe there's a bunch online. But I use two bars of grates soap. We use ivory generally. Finely grated with a cheese grater. A cup of oxygen clean. Three cups of washing soda. Three cups of borax. Mix together and use 1/4 cup in each load. Works well but there's no scent. You can add essential oils but I havnt had much luck with being able to smell it.

If you are using a top loader that does better with liquid detergent. Grate The soap. One bar or two. And put it in a sauce pan. Add some water to cover the crumbles. And then melt on low stirring often. Now i can't remember exactly but I would make three gallons at a time before I got my new washer. So you need a big bucket.. I think what you do next is fill your bucket with very very hot water about half way. Then add two cups of washing soada and two cups of borax. Stir until well dissolved.then add melted bar soap. And then more water to fill the bucket. Let sit over night. In the morning it will look cloudy and shouldb be kinda thick and congealed like homemade gravy after it's been in the fridge.. use 1/3 cup with each load. Oh I stir it up in the morning and then cover with fowl or Saran wrap and just left it on my washer with a scoop in it.
As far as cleaning power goeww its great we use cloth diaprs and it does hey well with tackeling them. Its also low suddsing so its easier to rinse out of Tue clothes leaving less residue.
Its very in exspensive Also and has neveru left a detergent stain as some cheapbones you buy do
Kristibradfute@gmail.com

Adding vinegar to your rinse cycle helps to eliminate any possible remaining residue and works a bit as a fabric softener.  I used to make a powder as I go and adjust for how dirty the clothes were that I was washing.  Unfortunately, hubby decided that following an easy recipe was too much trouble and when out and bought a huge box of Tide.  I just throw in two tablespoons each of an oxygen bleach, super washing soda and borax.  It works better in warm water so I can't save by using cold water, but it cleans well.  I also put in about 1/8 cup of castile soap (I like lavender or baby unscented). and I'm good to go.  My very old top load has a "fabric softener dispenser" which is where I put the vinegar (1/2 C or so).  I'd love a high efficiency washer and dryer, but it's just not in our budget right now (but I'm saving up)

circle.of.life
by on Nov. 22, 2010 at 7:36 AM
Yes whenever I leave the clothes in too long I have to wash with vinegar to get that mild dew smell out.
We still have an old school dryer. But I spent my tax return last year on a washer. It was around $700. And I love it. I can practically do two loads At a time. And they spinner works so well that I could hangs the clothes and they would be dry in less than a couple of hours. We use the dryer most of the time for that soft fluffy feel and it takes 20 minutes for hem to get dry.

I have to say its my favorite present to my self ever

Quoting loopycare:

Quoting circle.of.life:

Kristibradfute@gmail.com

Adding vinegar to your rinse cycle helps to eliminate any possible remaining residue and works a bit as a fabric softener.  I used to make a powder as I go and adjust for how dirty the clothes were that I was washing.  Unfortunately, hubby decided that following an easy recipe was too much trouble and when out and bought a huge box of Tide.  I just throw in two tablespoons each of an oxygen bleach, super washing soda and borax.  It works better in warm water so I can't save by using cold water, but it cleans well.  I also put in about 1/8 cup of castile soap (I like lavender or baby unscented). and I'm good to go.  My very old top load has a "fabric softener dispenser" which is where I put the vinegar (1/2 C or so).  I'd love a high efficiency washer and dryer, but it's just not in our budget right now (but I'm saving up)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN