Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Homemade laundry detergent

Posted by   + Show Post

Anyone make their own? It's about the only thing that I don't make and I'd like to so... anyone make their own and please share your recipe. :) Thanks in advance!

by on Nov. 20, 2010 at 6:10 PM
Replies (11-19):
circle.of.life
by on Nov. 22, 2010 at 7:43 AM
The washing soda is harder for me to find. But luckily its also used as a pool chemical. So you can find it at a pool store or on that aisle as well. Just do a Google search for washing soda ingrediant. J thinks sodium bicarbonate. But don't qoute me on this.
He borax I can find pretty easily in the Walmart laundry isle. The come in catboats boxes and the borax is also a called a detergent booster.
One of my grocers carries both in the laundry isle as well.
Laundry detergent is very very easy and such a pocket book saver. I have done it for ever.

Quoting ziff130:

Where do you guys get the glycerin soap, washing soda, and borax? Okay... I think I saw glycerin in Hobby Lobby but I have no idea where to get the other stuff. Sorry to sound ignorant... I just really have no idea where to start. :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kfilkins
by on Nov. 22, 2010 at 8:32 AM

I've actually had a lot of success with Soap Nuts.  I know it's not homemade, but it's super easy and eco friendly!  :) 

Kaylon
by on Nov. 22, 2010 at 9:02 AM

Does anyone know if the homemade laundry detergent and the ingredients you use to make them (Borax, Washing soda, the soap..ect) is safe for someone with eczema?  Just interested in knowing anyone experience with using the homemade with someone that has eczema.  I am sure it is safer than store brands.  Right now we are with a wellness company and the laundry soap doesn't bother my son.    Sceptic to try anything else!!

e-doolittle
by Kelly on Nov. 22, 2010 at 5:07 PM

I'd like to know this too!

Quoting Kaylon:

Does anyone know if the homemade laundry detergent and the ingredients you use to make them (Borax, Washing soda, the soap..ect) is safe for someone with eczema?  Just interested in knowing anyone experience with using the homemade with someone that has eczema.  I am sure it is safer than store brands.  Right now we are with a wellness company and the laundry soap doesn't bother my son.    Sceptic to try anything else!!

Kelly, Fall 2008 babies! Group Owner

Cafemom Healthy Moms  Moderator

30 Something Moms   Moderator

DestMasters
by on Nov. 22, 2010 at 9:40 PM

I'm SO sorry I didn't get back to this. Life exploded EVERYWHERE and I can't find a shovel to dig out of it.

I make a liquid. I started making it over 2 years ago when I had a super old, dysfunctional top loader. I use the same detergent for my shiny, new front loader. It works great.  If I'm in the mood, I 'scent' it with high quality essential oils. I almost always add tea tree for the anti-viral and anti-bacterial qualities, sweet orange for the grease cutting qualities and usually lavendar because it also kills germs and smells nice.

I grate 1 bar of Kirk's Castille soap. (Not scented, vegan, etc.) I add that to a gallon of almost boiling water and stir it up until it's all melted.  Then I add about 1 cup of washing soda. NOT baking soda. They're both Arm and Hammer but washing soda is stronger and works much better.  It's also harder to find. I also add about 1 cup of Borax, which is in the laundry aisle at almost all the stores, usually near where things like Clorox 2 live.  20 Mule Team is the most common brand.

I stir and stir until all the powders are dissolved. I add the essential oils and stir some more. It's best to add the EOs when it's still hot so they disperse well.

I let it set about 30 minutes, stir some more and then add a gallon of cool water.  I put the lid on the pan and let it sit overnight then transfer it to a couple of gallon jugs and the laundry detergent jug I've been using for the last several years.

I use white, distilled vinegar in the fabric softener compartment and also "scent" it with essential oils.  I use tennis balls in the dryer and I have a little pad that I'll sometimes put a drop or two of an EO on if I remember but it doesn't happen a lot these days. :)

DestMasters
by on Nov. 22, 2010 at 9:42 PM

YES! Homemade doesn't have the detergents in it that commerically made laundry soaps have. It also has (or should not have) cheap fragrances and additives. Borax can cause some irritation but usually if someone actually handles it for an extended period of time.

Quoting e-doolittle:

I'd like to know this too!

Quoting Kaylon:

~Destiny

Be the change.
Healthy Moms Moderator - Come join us!

circle.of.life
by on Nov. 23, 2010 at 7:58 AM
We have skin problems but not excema. We really like it home made detergent. I am posititve that it helps our skin.. I can tell that less residue is left in clothes which is good for our skin and our clothes. All the ingrediants are all natural. But I don't know if they are irritants. But they are pure chemicals. I would think that making a batch would cost you about $5.00 you'll have lots of left over ingrediants to give away if you don't like it. Trying it is prolly the only solution.
I have tried lots of hollistic methods. Bit laundry detergentbis easy and so cost effective. That it's one of the few that stuck.
I think you'll be really happy with it. But of what you are using works and its jot breaking the bank. I guess there's no reason to switch.

Quoting Kaylon:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
COmom12
by on Nov. 23, 2010 at 12:17 PM

I think it's great that you have the time and patience to make your own laundry detergent.  But I set up accounts for a environmentally wellness company that has laundry detergent without any harsh chemicals, and is good for the environment.  Love to give whoever is interested an overview about the company, with no strings attached.  Membership is only $1, until the end of the month. I have been using the products for almost 2 years now.  One of may favorite items is the the dishwasher detergent, it is concentrated, without any algae causing phosphates.  No film on your dishes!!  E-mail me at lstewart0802@aol.com -their is a friends and family web cast overview tonight at 7:00 MST.  Can E-mail you all the info to watch.  You can also call me at 303-877-9748.  I'm not sure if I will be back on Cafemom today, so make sure you call or e-mail me.  Thank you, Laurie Stewart

100% Satisfaction Guarantee, or they will give you your money back.

ziff130
by on Nov. 23, 2010 at 12:39 PM

I have tried "natural" laundry detergents and I normally end up breaking out in hives anyways. Then I read the ingredients and there are things in there that I don't consider "natural". Also, they are normally pretty expensive and I don't have that much money right now so I'm going for inexpensive here. Thanks for the info though! :)

Quoting COmom12:

I think it's great that you have the time and patience to make your own laundry detergent.  But I set up accounts for a environmentally wellness company that has laundry detergent without any harsh chemicals, and is good for the environment.  Love to give whoever is interested an overview about the company, with no strings attached.  Membership is only $1, until the end of the month. I have been using the products for almost 2 years now.  One of may favorite items is the the dishwasher detergent, it is concentrated, without any algae causing phosphates.  No film on your dishes!!  E-mail me at lstewart0802@aol.com -their is a friends and family web cast overview tonight at 7:00 MST.  Can E-mail you all the info to watch.  You can also call me at 303-877-9748.  I'm not sure if I will be back on Cafemom today, so make sure you call or e-mail me.  Thank you, Laurie Stewart

100% Satisfaction Guarantee, or they will give you your money back.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN