Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

I had a piece of meat...

Posted by on Nov. 23, 2010 at 12:43 PM
  • 5 Replies

I've been meatless since early October. I've been proud of myself but last night I cooked a chicken for the family and something else for me. The chicken looked really yummy so I just pulled off a piece of it... a small piece, dipped it in ketchup and ate it. It tasted yummy but immediately my face felt so greasy. After a few minutes I felt nauseated. Is this normal? Is this what would happen if I went back to eating meat? haha! I didn't think that  a little piece would cause such harm. It was cooked in the crockpot so it wasn't friend and super greasy or anything. Wow! I just couldn't believe how horrible one tiny piece of chicken made me feel.

To make things worse, a video I saw on how turkeys are treated in the factory started playing over and over in my head, not making my tummy feel any better. LOL!

by on Nov. 23, 2010 at 12:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
MaggotMom
by on Nov. 23, 2010 at 12:48 PM

I think it's a subconscious thing, myself. Mentally, you don't want to be eating it and so your body is reacting to it from that. I can't imagine why else that would happen, on an immediate level anyway.

I could never go vegan or vegetarian. I am a protein diet type and I must have meat protein. 

runner-mom
by on Nov. 23, 2010 at 2:42 PM
I agree it was probably mental! Id see your stomach getting upset after a few minutes bot not an instantaneous thing....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
e-doolittle
by Kelly on Nov. 23, 2010 at 4:04 PM

It's probably because you haven't had it in awhile.  My parents had switched to no meat when my dad got cancer.  Occasionally they would eat meat and they both would say they felt sick.  If you wanted to go back it would just take your body time to adjust.

Not.So.Virginal
by on Nov. 23, 2010 at 4:07 PM

i think it depends on how you typically eat, maybe. I went vegetarian for 6-8 months and didnt get sick when I ate meat. I agree that it is probably mental.

rkoloms
by on Nov. 23, 2010 at 5:10 PM

When you don't eat meat, your body stops producing the enzymes to digest the meat. The nausea was real. You may want to keep a bottle of papaya enzyme around.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)