Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Pictures of 300, 350, and 400- Calorie Meals

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2011 at 7:37 AM
  • 21 Replies
1 mom liked this

I normally judge by having about 300 calories for each meal and then 300 calories for snacks and then I have a 100 calorie buffer so I found this a fun article and thought I'd share.:)

What Does 300 Calories Really Look Like?

See Pictures of 300, 350, and 400-Calorie Meals

-- By Nicole Nichols, Health Educator

Wonder what 300 calories looks like? 300 calories look drastically different when you're eating in instead of dining out. Choosing healthier, more nutritious foods--at home and away--means you can eat much more food and still lose weight. Check out these 18 meal comparisons to see for yourself, share forward this story to your friends!

Breakfast: 300-Calorie Meals & Portions
Here are three morning meals that each weigh in at 300 calories. Healthy and quick homemade meals (left column) pack whole grains, fresh fruit, and protein--a filling combination that will keep you fuller longer. You could only eat a fraction of the comparable restaurant meals (right column) for the same number of calories. Get more healthy breakfast ideas here.

Lunch: 350-Calorie Meals & Portions
These midday meals contain 350 calories each--the perfect amount to keep you going without wrecking your diet. Packing one of the homemade lunches on the left doesn't take long, and look at all those low- cal and filling veggies you'll get! Notice how seemingly healthy options like the restaurant foods on the right can be very misleading! Those 350-calorie portions are pretty small. Pack a healthier lunch with these tips.

Dinner: 400-Calorie Meals & Portions
Many people consume a larger meal at night, so we picked 400-calorie dinners here. By combining whole grains with lean protein and vegetables, these homemade dinners (left column) are a snap to prepare--and they'll keep the late-night munchies at bay! In contrast, the high-fat and high-calorie meals on the right don't offer much in the way of nutrition or volume. Get thousands of healthy dinner ideas at SparkRecipes.com!

The bottom line is that you can eat more and lose weight when you know how to pick the right foods and the right portions. Use the images and portions above as a guide to create your own healthy, diet-friendly and nutritious meals every day!

Are you surprised by how much (or little) you can eat for the calories, depending on which foods you choose? Which meal was most shocking to you?

by on Jan. 18, 2011 at 7:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
akgraff
by on Jan. 18, 2011 at 7:40 AM

wow I didn't realize the difference. LOL i'll have to start doing this

orion52
by on Jan. 18, 2011 at 8:06 AM

I do this now... why am I fat???

e-doolittle
by Kelly on Jan. 18, 2011 at 11:40 AM

I am always amazed by this kind of article.  In this one, I think the pizza example surprised me the most.

nngmommy83
by on Jan. 18, 2011 at 1:02 PM

The breakfast examples surprised me the most! I'm always thinking I can only eat Special K cereal to keep my calories low but I now know that's not the case =)

ChaoticAtBest
by on Jan. 18, 2011 at 1:15 PM

i love this article!! It shows that you can eat more when you choose to eat healthy! So many woman/people think you can't =)

rkoloms
by on Jan. 18, 2011 at 6:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I am not big on counting calories....

smurfy88
by Jessica on Jan. 18, 2011 at 10:21 PM

the healthier food looked better anyways!

Krysden
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2011 at 11:00 PM

Reminds me of the time that I discovered that 2 sausage links had the same calorie count as 4 1/2 cups of diced watermelon!  It probably goes without saying that I didn't chose the sausage. 

That spinach & mushroom pizza looks good... and I don't like cooked spinach or mushrooms..lol

NotMomYet
by on Nov. 5, 2011 at 1:56 PM

ON MY....i was looking for 400 calorie meals!  I added page to the Stumble.com site.butterfly

LindAngeLevi
by on Nov. 5, 2011 at 2:53 PM
Wow I love this. I need to show my so this because he doesn't think the difference is so drastic.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN