Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms
I recently read this blog post on one of the blogs I follow. It was very interesting to read, and it made me think of my own food budget...

MAR
How much does the USDA think you should be spending on groceries? Find out!
Our family’s current monthly budget for food is $250 – this is for two adults, a 3.5 yr old and an eight-month-old. Some months we spend less and some months we spend more, but it usually averages to about $250 a month. I recently discovered that the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) actually calculates the average cost of food at home, on a monthly basis, and they calculate it at four different rates -
Thrifty plan
Low-cost plan
Moderate-cost plan
Liberal plan
I calculated what our budget SHOULD be according to the USDA and it was $509 (for January 2011) and this was for the Thrifty Plan! We are spending HALF of the most frugal plan! I guess they need to add another plan – the couponer and smart/strategic shopper plan! Did you look up your family? How does it compare to what you actually spend?
I was thinking about doing a series of posts visually showing (with photos) what $250 could buy you when you combine coupons, sales and rebates. I would take photos of our groceries for an entire month, so you could see what I bought. I think we would all be surprised at how much food (and healthy food!) you can get for $250 when you calculate in coupons and sales. What do you think, would this be interesting for you? Would you be interested in photographing your groceries and sharing what you get for your monthly budget?
How much does your family budget for groceries each month? Before you started couponing (or shopping strategically) what was your monthly budget? THERE IS NO RIGHT OR WRONG ANSWER here – budgets are personal decisions and there are lots of factors that go into budgets – dietary needs, location, etc.

So, what is YOUR monthly food budget? How many people are you buying for?

Here is the link to the blog: http://queenbeecoupons.com/2011/03/what-is-your-monthly-food-budget-plus-usda-estimates/ (always need to give credit where credit is due! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 27, 2011 at 12:16 AM
Replies (41-46):
LntLckrsCmQut
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:32 PM

There are 4 of us and we spend 1,000 to 1,200 a month(I shop weekly) on just food. I rarely use coupons because most food coupons are for foods we don't eat. I cook from scratch and anything I can buy from a box, I can make myself. I really don't see how I can get it any lower because I have tried and it just doesn't work. I'm fine with it though, because  I make my own beauty/cleaning so I spend very little in that department.

Shopsha0911
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 7:22 AM

We spend about $800 a month. 

Shopsha0911
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 7:23 AM

This is exaclty how we are but I try to spend about $800 for 4 people. This is of course is only for groceries not for meals outside of our home. 

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

There are 4 of us and we spend 1,000 to 1,200 a month(I shop weekly) on just food. I rarely use coupons because most food coupons are for foods we don't eat. I cook from scratch and anything I can buy from a box, I can make myself. I really don't see how I can get it any lower because I have tried and it just doesn't work. I'm fine with it though, because  I make my own beauty/cleaning so I spend very little in that department.

CrazedMomof2
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:23 PM
We are a family of 5. We don't have a set budget and just shop when we need to. We spend $800+ a month on groceries.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Schleetle
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 12:27 AM
I try to stay under $800 a month for 5 people, seriously doubt we are even close... We do whole foods/local market, and Publix alternating weeks. I liked our old Publix in GA, but this one sucks. They raised their prices so much I spend even more than I do at whole foods.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MdMom289
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 12:42 AM
I'm mobile so I can't open the link. We spend WAY too much. My bil has lived with us the last year so our budge has doubled for some reason. We're a family of three adults and two kids currently and I've been spending $250-$300 a week on food and toiletries. In may it will be just the four of us again so I'm hoping to go down to $150 a week. I buy a lot of gluten free/natural ans some organic and fresh stuff and it really adds up. We also eat or 1-2 times a month.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)