Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

New Year, New Mom Challenge Day 8: Make Healthier Meals

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 1:18 AM
  • 154 Replies
1 mom liked this

As busy moms it's tough to get dinner on the table at all, much less healthy, home-cooked meals your kids will actually eat! Here are some delicious ideas for healthier dinners that don't necessarily require tons of time, skill, or money: 

• Make your own pizza: I don't think I've ever met a kid who didn't like pizza! Add in the fact that he can get creative and make it himself? It's a hit! Offer nutritious toppings like fresh or frozen veggies, marinara sauce, and low-fat mozzarella cheese? It's a healthy homerun!
  • Salad bar: Cut up all sorts of fun veggie ingredients and toppings and let them make their own. Offer salad staples like lettuce, broccoli, carrots and cucumbers, and awesome additions such as raisins, almonds, croutons, olives -- whatever!
  • Burritos: Kids can roll up their own burritos with healthy fillings like bown rice, black beans, guacamole, sautéed peppers and onions, corn kernels, shredded cheese -- you name it!

What healthy, creative, kid-friendly meals do you make? What do your kids LOVE? Please share in the replies!

apronIf you missed yesterday's activity, you can find it hereIt's not too late to sign up for the New Year, New Mom Challenge -- and win! Click here to sign up now and you could win! >>

by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 1:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Alyson121
by Alyson on Jan. 16, 2012 at 2:56 AM
1 mom liked this

I love making my own pizza.  My family totally loves it too.  I even make my own dough. 

I never thought about doing a salad bar at home.  I bet my children would get a kick out of that. 

In our home the children typically eat allot of fresh fruit snacks and yogurts.  We do seasonal produce so they really enjoy it when the seasons comes in.  They also like spreading nut butters on sprouted raisin bread (cashew butter is the new favorite now)

Sometimes i'll make smoothies, which is also a big hit.

batjmom
by Sarah on Jan. 16, 2012 at 10:14 AM

I love all those ideas and we do those.  Also a spaghetti bar.  They can pick own sauce, veggies and toppings.  

My kids love Taco night, and I make homemade chicken tenders and toss in different sauces.

Jillysmom
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 10:15 AM

I make my own dough and we have fun making pizza together.

aidansmommy219

we eat a lot of fruits around here..fruit salads, fruit smoothies..but lately its been soups since its been so cold. ds loves tomato soup the most..

we make homemade pizza with different veggie toppings (though we do make an extra meat pizza for ds..he wouldnt know how to eat healthy if his life depended on it lol).

jen113000
1 mom liked this

Great ideas! We haven't made our own pizzas yet but I should really get on that because I know they would love it!

Bmama1
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this
I need to try more stuff. Homemade pizza sounds fun and yummy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sunshinepraying
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 10:19 AM

I make pizzas at home. My son likes that. 

gmadiane
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 10:20 AM

I do make my own pizzas, I love the idea of a salad bar, I make chicken enchiladas very easy and can be made pretty healthy if you use wheat shells and a low fat cheese.

4kidz916
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 10:21 AM

We make homemade pizzas each week and load them with healthy toppings.  We eat tacos with a toppings bar, and we make a lot of stir frys with fresh veggies.

ZOOMZOOMCANTOR
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 10:21 AM

we do alt of soy chicken crock pot meal and the kids love it also smoothies

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)