Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

anyone else get stinky with cotton?

Posted by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 1:02 AM
  • 11 Replies
So, I keep noticing that any of my 100% cotton shirts always have this rank horrid pit odor. Reminds me of rotten gym clothes that cats peed on. Even when I wash them, there is still a small amount of the stench. What is this? How do I get rid of it? I will note, no matter how stinky my shirts are, my pits don't smell. Crazy?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 1:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Schleetle
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 1:43 AM
Cotton absorbs sweat/odors. You should wear sweat-wicking (I think that's the phrase? ) fabrics like dri fit, polyester type of stuff.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hottmommi42
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 2:04 AM
That makes sense, but I hate polyester! It feels like plastic. Are there other fabrics that work? I have noticed my cheaper shirts that are acrylic or whatnot don't smell. Sounds like you are spot on! Is there a way to get the odor out of the shirts?

Quoting Schleetle:

Cotton absorbs sweat/odors. You should wear sweat-wicking (I think that's the phrase? ) fabrics like dri fit, polyester type of stuff.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 16, 2012 at 5:37 AM

I agree...dri fit is my favorite!

Quoting Schleetle:

reneawesley
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 9:34 AM
Mine also.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

I agree...dri fit is my favorite!

Quoting Schleetle:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mp3mom
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Try adding Borax to your regular laundry; if that doesn't help, try a pre-soak with baking soda.

e-doolittle
by Kelly on Apr. 16, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Vinegar in the wash might help too.  I remember pinning something.  I'll try to find it.

e-doolittle
by Kelly on Apr. 16, 2012 at 11:37 AM
1 mom liked this

First wash:  Hot water and a cup of vinegar

Second wash:  Hot water and a half cub baking soda

CrazedMomof2
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 11:48 AM

I hate that!

I wear tank tops or dri fit shirts. Most of my race shirts I get are Tech shirts.

hottmommi42
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 7:36 PM
Its frikkin nasty for sure. I could understand if they were my gym shirts! I am going to look into this dri fit stuff. I always layer up, so it may work. All I know is I am sick of being stinky. Lol!

Quoting CrazedMomof2:

I hate that!

I wear tank tops or dri fit shirts. Most of my race shirts I get are Tech shirts.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
roxysmommy
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 11:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Tide sport is awesome for getting out stinky smells. I use it on my husband's shoes :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)