Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Do your children have allergies?  Do you give them anything for the symptoms?

My 3.5 year old has some pretty bad allergies that have just been horrible this season!  It's mainly his eyes...red, swollen, itchy, etc.  It's due to the pollen and such outside as it's the worst when he's been outside.  We've given him Allegra for Children, but that doesn't really seem to work for long...what do you use?

I need some ideas here ladies!

My son has Cystic Fibrosis along with a few other medical diagnoses, and he has a CF Clinic appointment coming up in May and he will be tested for all allergies then.

by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 6:46 AM
Replies (21-30):
hottmommi42
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 4:07 PM
We use zyrtec for my oldest but only when his symtoms are really severe. I have found that his behavior is just outrageous when his symptoms are high and its not fair to ask him to behave when he feels like poo.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 22, 2012 at 4:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Makes sense and I totally understand...thanks for sharing:)

Quoting hottmommi42:

We use zyrtec for my oldest but only when his symtoms are really severe. I have found that his behavior is just outrageous when his symptoms are high and its not fair to ask him to behave when he feels like poo.

psych_mom
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 4:08 PM
Allerga usually won't make them drowsy. As far as I know Zyrtec doesn't make my kids drowsy but if I take it, I'm out for a day.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Allegra seems to have the opposite effect on my son...it keeps him awake so I give it to him first thing in the morning...I'll have to check out Zyrtec...thanks:)

Quoting psych_mom:

We use Zyrtec for my oldest son. He has chronic allergies and asthma and it seems to help him a lot. I give it to him before bedtime because drowsiness can be a side effect.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 22, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Oh I see...thanks:)

Quoting psych_mom:

Allerga usually won't make them drowsy. As far as I know Zyrtec doesn't make my kids drowsy but if I take it, I'm out for a day.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Allegra seems to have the opposite effect on my son...it keeps him awake so I give it to him first thing in the morning...I'll have to check out Zyrtec...thanks:)

Quoting psych_mom:

We use Zyrtec for my oldest son. He has chronic allergies and asthma and it seems to help him a lot. I give it to him before bedtime because drowsiness can be a side effect.

preacherskid
by Member on Apr. 23, 2012 at 6:44 AM
Maggie is on zyrtec and singulair for her allergies. They clear her up, but she is more fussy and grumpy when she takes them, probably because a side effect of both is sleepiness.
northtexasmomma
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 6:12 PM
They do make childrens claritin in liquid.
As I recall, all major childrens allergy meds come in liqd (and we've tried them all, here in tx)
Also, as someone stated above, it can sometimes take a while to get the full therapeutic affect from 24 hour allergy meds because they have to build and maintain in the system: my child"s allergist recommends taking the otc med preferrably 14 days before the change in season weather/location (vacation or travel) so the med is stable and steady. Otherwise, we take it as needed.
Ps: I've noticed my kids sleep deeper but dd actually has less bed wetting when on it due to allergy symptoms.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 23, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Makes sense...thanks:)

Quoting preacherskid:

Maggie is on zyrtec and singulair for her allergies. They clear her up, but she is more fussy and grumpy when she takes them, probably because a side effect of both is sleepiness.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 23, 2012 at 6:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow!  14 days before the season?  Interesting and good to know...thanks SO much for your help!  

Quoting northtexasmomma:

They do make childrens claritin in liquid.
As I recall, all major childrens allergy meds come in liqd (and we've tried them all, here in tx)
Also, as someone stated above, it can sometimes take a while to get the full therapeutic affect from 24 hour allergy meds because they have to build and maintain in the system: my child"s allergist recommends taking the otc med preferrably 14 days before the change in season weather/location (vacation or travel) so the med is stable and steady. Otherwise, we take it as needed.
Ps: I've noticed my kids sleep deeper but dd actually has less bed wetting when on it due to allergy symptoms.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 23, 2012 at 6:54 PM

I bought some Claritin and Benadryl today...gave him the Benadryl before he went to bed...which was just a bit ago since he didn't take a nap.  We'll see how he does with that when he wakes up tomorrow...typically he wakes up with really watery and itchy eyes and then they get better, then get worse as the day goes on.  Thanks for all your help ladies!

e-doolittle
by Kelly on Apr. 23, 2012 at 10:56 PM
Benadryl is the strongest but it only lasts 4-6 hours. It also loses effectiveness if you take it too long. I would cycle it on two weeks off a week. On the off week, take a different med. Hope he feels better!

Quoting darbyakeep45:

I bought some Claritin and Benadryl today...gave him the Benadryl before he went to bed...which was just a bit ago since he didn't take a nap.  We'll see how he does with that when he wakes up tomorrow...typically he wakes up with really watery and itchy eyes and then they get better, then get worse as the day goes on.  Thanks for all your help ladies!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN