Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

May is National Mental Health Month

My 1st is just around the corner, so I just wanted to direct your attention to the fact that May is the month dedicated to educating people about mental illness and also to direct those needing help about how to go about getting help.

MENTAL HEALTH MONTH 2012

Healing Trauma

Mental Health America is proud to continue its tradition of celebrating "May is Mental Health Month," which began in 1949 to raise awareness of mental health conditions and mental wellness for all.

This year, we are addressing these important issues through two themes:

Do More for 1 in 4 is a call to action to help the 1 in 4 American adults who live with a diagnosable, treatable mental health condition and the fact that they can go on to live full and productive lives. Download the Do More For 1in4 Toolkit.

The second theme, Healing Trauma's Invisible Wounds, focuses on the impact of traumatic events on individuals and communities.  It centers around asking the person-based question: "What happened to you?" Download the Healing Trauma's Invisible Wounds Toolkit.

by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 9:31 AM
Replies (11-20):
cleanaturalady
by Kim on Apr. 29, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Quoting mypbandj:

After my 3rd child was born, I had post partum anxiety. I didn't even know it existed! I knew about PPD but not PPA. I had already raised 2 kids and being someone who works I the field of child development, I always have felt confident as a mother. So when I was expecting my 3rd child, I had visions of how it would be. But then he was born and I couldn't even leave my bedroom for 3 months. It was nothing like I had planned but it was what it was and I couldnt change the way I was feeling! My baby will be two next month and while I'm much better, I know that I'm still feeling more anxious than I should be.

Wow, that is pretty intense if you couldn't even come out of your room for 3 months.  I'm sorry you suffered like that. 

mp3mom
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:41 AM

IMO, you should talk to you Dr. That's when my symptoms really kicked in...PPD, with psychotic features. After my 3rd, I was "in bed" for 2 years. You read correctly. I was desperate for an answer... Depression, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, no one knew... I went to so many doctors, I couldn't even tell you... I tested positive for Epstein-Barr virus, so Chronic Fatigue. I had Acupuncture, Vitamin drips. Long story short, I ended up with an "acute manic episode", and a final diagnosis. Hormones play a big role in mental illness, hence, PPD, PMS, etc. If you're still not feel up to par, IMHO, I'd go. There is Adult onset Bipolar; I'm not saying you have it. It could just be lingering depression; it's an imbalance in brain chemicals. Maybe you need just a bit of medication, IDK. Why suffer, though? There's also Holistic MD's; I went there, too. 5HTP is just like Prozac, an anti-depressant. But you want to be monitored. You should be diagnosed. Hugs!

Quoting cleanaturalady:

Quoting mypbandj:

After my 3rd child was born, I had post partum anxiety. I didn't even know it existed! I knew about PPD but not PPA. I had already raised 2 kids and being someone who works I the field of child development, I always have felt confident as a mother. So when I was expecting my 3rd child, I had visions of how it would be. But then he was born and I couldn't even leave my bedroom for 3 months. It was nothing like I had planned but it was what it was and I couldnt change the way I was feeling! My baby will be two next month and while I'm much better, I know that I'm still feeling more anxious than I should be.

Wow, that is pretty intense if you couldn't even come out of your room for 3 months.  I'm sorry you suffered like that. 

camdenp10
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:51 AM

I only have 1 child, a son 18 months. As soon as he was born, I was hit like a ton of bricks with post partum depression. It continually got worse and worse. I was sent to the ER two times, but turned away both times. I ended up having to go to a mental health facility as an outpatient (due to the fact that they would not let me store my breastmilk for my little guy). They wanted me to go inpatient, but I refused due to this reason. I then found out that I had post partum psychosis. I was literally living through what I call "Hell". I had asked for help several times and was turned away. I was put on meds just to "make me feel better". I did not want to just feel better, I wanted to BE BETTER for myself, my son, and my husband. I was a very unstable person who was not at all in my right mind. We will save all the gory details for another day.I am better than I was, but no where near what I want to be. It is a daily struggle not to sink back into the black hole that I have somewhat crawled out of. I have talked to a few people about what I have been through, and they said"oh yeah, I know what you are talking about, my so-and-so had post partum depression." You may know that they had it, you have no idea what they went through unless you also had it. Even then, each woman is different. Sorry so long. I just really get frustrated when people brush off mental illnessses as "something in our head"!! Thank you for letting me know that May is Mental Health Month. :)

mp3mom
by on May. 1, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Welcome. Thank you for sharing your story. You are SO right... each woman is different. I just remember when I went in for my 6 week check-up, trying to explain to my Dr how I felt... she wasn't listening... she'd written, "pp-blues" on my chart; like you, I'd actually had PPD with psychosis. I hope you are doing better :)

Quoting camdenp10:

I only have 1 child, a son 18 months. As soon as he was born, I was hit like a ton of bricks with post partum depression. It continually got worse and worse. I was sent to the ER two times, but turned away both times. I ended up having to go to a mental health facility as an outpatient (due to the fact that they would not let me store my breastmilk for my little guy). They wanted me to go inpatient, but I refused due to this reason. I then found out that I had post partum psychosis. I was literally living through what I call "Hell". I had asked for help several times and was turned away. I was put on meds just to "make me feel better". I did not want to just feel better, I wanted to BE BETTER for myself, my son, and my husband. I was a very unstable person who was not at all in my right mind. We will save all the gory details for another day.I am better than I was, but no where near what I want to be. It is a daily struggle not to sink back into the black hole that I have somewhat crawled out of. I have talked to a few people about what I have been through, and they said"oh yeah, I know what you are talking about, my so-and-so had post partum depression." You may know that they had it, you have no idea what they went through unless you also had it. Even then, each woman is different. Sorry so long. I just really get frustrated when people brush off mental illnessses as "something in our head"!! Thank you for letting me know that May is Mental Health Month. :)

EmilyMarshall
by on May. 1, 2012 at 8:07 PM
Thanks for sharing!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 2, 2012 at 5:30 AM

I had that anxiety as well...the first year of my son's life was the hardest for me.

Quoting mypbandj:

darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 2, 2012 at 5:31 AM

Welcome and thanks for sharing:)

Quoting camdenp10:

darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 2, 2012 at 5:32 AM

What is the difference between PPD and PPD with psychosis?

Quoting mp3mom:

Welcome. Thank you for sharing your story. You are SO right... each woman is different. I just remember when I went in for my 6 week check-up, trying to explain to my Dr how I felt... she wasn't listening... she'd written, "pp-blues" on my chart; like you, I'd actually had PPD with psychosis. I hope you are doing better :)

Quoting camdenp10:

mp3mom
by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:38 AM

PPP (the correct acronym) is PPD with psychotic features. For example, I'd have fleeting thoughts of seeing Erin in the microwave, thinking, "she's the right size"...and think, "omg! where'd that come from?!" (a voice in my head). Some psychosis is worse, of course, as the depressed person will act upon the thoughts. So, it's the same as PPD, but much worse.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

What is the difference between PPD and PPD with psychosis?

Quoting mp3mom:

Quoting camdenp10:

cleanaturalady
by Kim on May. 2, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Quoting camdenp10:

You are so right.  I hear this phrase all the time about my Bell's Palsy (everyone I know knows someone who had it) and my depression/anxiety, but they can't possibly know exactly what you're going through.  I hope you still reach out to mental health care providers.  Medications work best in combination with therapy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)