Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

pregnancy workouts

Posted by   + Show Post

So, I am currently five months pregnant and finally starting to feel better and I miss working out, I live in a small town where there aren't really pregnancy workout classes. And I'm curious if I can still do regular workout classes like cycling, zumba, yoga, pilates and all those classes that are offered while pregnant.

I've asked my doctor about working out, and all she tells me is just to make sure my heart rate doesn't get above 150.

Or are there any good workouts you know of or have tried that you enjoyed while pregnant?

by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:50 PM
Replies (11-11):
BeFit-Mom
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Because you haven't been working out regularly, and you are past 20 weeks (when your placenta stops growing) you need to keep at or below a moderate level of exertion. Cycling/spin classes will take your HR too high.

Pilates, since it does so much upper body flexion, is out too. During pregnancy, especially in the last half after your belly pops out, you should NOT include any exercises that lift the upper body off the floor, or against the force of gravity, as these may cause a diastaisis (abdominal separation) to occur.

Yoga, should be OK, as long as you modify poses as needed. Hoepfully, your yoga instructor has the education to help you with this. (NO hot yoga.)

Zumba could be OK, if you modify too. No quick changes of direction, turns, etc. If you HR start to get too high, then you can not use your arms, and/or move in a smaller range of motion.

You can also do: fitness walking, treadmill, elliptical trainer (lower the ramp height a bit) recumbent bike, aqau aerobic and swimming.

Google my screen name to find safe prenatal core exercises.

BeFit-Mom

BeFit-Mom
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)