Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Food allergies

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 12:36 PM
  • 19 Replies
I'm looking for some help with diet planning. I had allergy testing last week and found out I have 10 different food allergies. I have to cut all of them out for a month and introduce them back into my diet, one every week.

Most of them are not a problem. There are 2 that I am finding extremely difficult. Soy and corn. Both seem to be in everything! The soy list had me overwhelmed on its own. The corn list... Holy hell. It's in everything! I've looked at alternative products, but most contain potato products, another one of my allergies. I'm at a loss and don't know where to even start.

I can't afford to buy and cook 2 separate dinners every night. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Here's my allergy list:
Soybeans
Corn
Potatoes
Peanuts
Walnuts
Hazelnuts
Oranges
Grapefruit
Peas
Buckwheat
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 12:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SabrinaLC
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 5:36 PM
1 mom liked this

You're going to have to cook from scratch as much as you can.

Corn and Soy really are in EVERYTHING!

Don't cook two separate meals, I personally feel, your family needs to follow this diet as well.  Not only will it support you while you do it but it could also weed out any allergies that they may have (and not know about). 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 28, 2012 at 6:38 PM

I totally agree with Sabrina here...good luck mama!  That's a lot of allergies...hugs!

Quoting SabrinaLC:

Don't cook two separate meals, I personally feel, your family needs to follow this diet as well.  Not only will it support you while you do it but it could also weed out any allergies that they may have (and not know about). 

reneawesley
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 9:02 PM
I agree. Good luck!

Quoting SabrinaLC:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mypbandj
by Jen on Apr. 28, 2012 at 9:14 PM
Oh boy! Good luck. I'm sure it'll get easier with time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cleanaturalady
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Yikes, that is a huge list.  You will definitely be cooking from scratch.  Have you thought about seeing a nutritionist?

sahmomof2
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 9:43 PM
Thanks ladies. I don't mind cooking from scratch, but things as simple as flour are no-nos, so I'm having trouble even finding recipes.

I would love to see a nutritionist, but they are so expensive that it's not an option at this point.

Mostly I'm frustrated. Knowing that eating out is no longer an option, and that when I have dinner at a friend's house, I'll be bringing my own food. I'm a bit overwhelmed and depressed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
e-doolittle
by Kelly on Apr. 29, 2012 at 1:27 AM
Soy and corn are difficult. It doesn't appear you are allergic to wheat? Buckwheat is different. There are many flours you can use. If I am mistaken and are allergic to wheat, try some gluten free blends.

Hugs, food allergies are overwhelming at first.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ballerina.2006
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:42 PM
Look into Paleo or clean eating.
Ds just got dx'ed with food allergies Thurs. We have to avoid: beef, dairy, rye, potato, and lanolin (last one is mostly in lotions and lip balms). We also have to avoid things like gelatin. So I completely understand! But seriously look into clean eating and Paleo (aka caveman diet) Regardless this road will be tough at first. Browse books at barnes and noble if you have to.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 29, 2012 at 5:30 PM

I agree about the clean eating!

Quoting ballerina.2006:

Look into Paleo or clean eating.
Ds just got dx'ed with food allergies Thurs. We have to avoid: beef, dairy, rye, potato, and lanolin (last one is mostly in lotions and lip balms). We also have to avoid things like gelatin. So I completely understand! But seriously look into clean eating and Paleo (aka caveman diet) Regardless this road will be tough at first. Browse books at barnes and noble if you have to.

sahmomof2
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:06 PM
Thanks ladies! I'm making shopping a shopping list and also a list of "not allowed foods/ingredients". Hopefully it will help.

I'll look into the Paleo diet. I never imagined it would be this hard to eliminate a few allergens.

Thanks ladies! I know others do it all the time, I just need to get a handle on it all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)