Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms
I'm looking for some help with diet planning. I had allergy testing last week and found out I have 10 different food allergies. I have to cut all of them out for a month and introduce them back into my diet, one every week.

Most of them are not a problem. There are 2 that I am finding extremely difficult. Soy and corn. Both seem to be in everything! The soy list had me overwhelmed on its own. The corn list... Holy hell. It's in everything! I've looked at alternative products, but most contain potato products, another one of my allergies. I'm at a loss and don't know where to even start.

I can't afford to buy and cook 2 separate dinners every night. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Here's my allergy list:
Soybeans
Corn
Potatoes
Peanuts
Walnuts
Hazelnuts
Oranges
Grapefruit
Peas
Buckwheat
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 12:36 PM
Replies (11-19):
MB13
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Barbecued chicken, mac and cheese or pasta salad, and green beans! Yum!

Do you have to avoid corn/peanut oil?

cmorris1200
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Our house is corn free.  Once or twice a year I let it in.  Corn is a fuller in most OTC and RX drugs.  I have EVERY dr. call the manufacter of a drug before I will fill a perscription.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

I totally agree with Sabrina here...good luck mama!  That's a lot of allergies...hugs!

Quoting SabrinaLC:

You're going to have to cook from scratch as much as you can.

Corn and Soy really are in EVERYTHING!

Don't cook two separate meals, I personally feel, your family needs to follow this diet as well.  Not only will it support you while you do it but it could also weed out any allergies that they may have (and not know about). 

sahmomof2
by on May. 1, 2012 at 11:20 AM
I haven't found a barbecue sauce that I can use yet, or any mac and cheese. Annie's doesn't have corn or soy in its ingredients, but it is processed with equipment that can be contaminated.

As far as the peanut/corn oil, yes the allergist wants me to avoid those for now.

I called yesterday and asked about the corn derivatives like ascorbic and citric acid, and he said those shouldn't be a problem. Just have to stat away from the main corn products, corn syrup, corn starch, that kind of thing. So that frees me up to used some canned goods when cooking. That was a huge help!

Quoting MB13:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MB13
by on May. 1, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Wow, that certainly does limit your choices.  Sorry my suggestion didn't work, I'll keep thinking!

Quoting sahmomof2:

I haven't found a barbecue sauce that I can use yet, or any mac and cheese. Annie's doesn't have corn or soy in its ingredients, but it is processed with equipment that can be contaminated.

As far as the peanut/corn oil, yes the allergist wants me to avoid those for now.

I called yesterday and asked about the corn derivatives like ascorbic and citric acid, and he said those shouldn't be a problem. Just have to stat away from the main corn products, corn syrup, corn starch, that kind of thing. So that frees me up to used some canned goods when cooking. That was a huge help!

Quoting MB13:

sahmomof2
by on May. 1, 2012 at 11:46 AM
Thanks for the help! I've been looking at my recipes, and I think I can make a lot of them work by finding alternatives for a lot of ingredients. Like whole wheat flour instead of all purpose. I'm slowly figuring it out.

I was in heaven when I found out Ben and Jerry's Chocolate Fudge Brownie ice cream is ok! 😁

Quoting MB13:

Wow, that certainly does limit your choices.  Sorry my suggestion didn't work, I'll keep thinking!

Quoting sahmomof2:

Quoting MB13:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mp3mom
by on May. 1, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Welcome. I found a link; it has comments with other links & suggestions I thought you might be interested in. I'm sure you're overwhelmed. When I saw this site though, there seems to be a lot of others in your situation; you're not alone. Good luck.

http://welltellme.com/discuss/index.php?topic=23262.0

MB13
by on May. 1, 2012 at 12:41 PM

I have been reading labels to educate myself on this.   I found that my liquid smoke should work for you to season meat.  This can be used alone, or with some other spices like garlic and onion.  Also, I make a lot of homemade soups.  You can do some as simple as boiled chicken breast, and extra can of chicken broth, chopped onion, celery, and carrots.  Have you found a pasta that works?  If so, throw in a handful of that or rice and salt and pepper to taste.

Quoting sahmomof2:

Quoting MB13:

Alyson121
by Alyson on May. 1, 2012 at 5:46 PM

If you don't buy food in a PACKAGE, JAR, CAN, BOX, BOTTLE, CONTAINER then you'll avoid corn and soy (well unless you buy fresh corn on the cob or edamame).  

Cook one meal and make it from scratch.  Check out some of the recipe groups here on Cafe Mom for recipes.  Also check out All Recipes (dot) com site for recipes.  I've found that corn and soy and in packaged/processed foods but not ones that are natural from the earth - like beans, fresh produce, etc. 

What kind of food do you like to eat?  

cmorris1200
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2012 at 5:54 PM

The dinosaur bbq sauce and bone sucking sauce are corn free.  Look in the healthy food section of your grocery store because those item don't have high fructose corn syrup.  Warning they may have other corn ingredients.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN