Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Vitamin D Deficiency

Posted by   + Show Post

I'd had blood work done about a month ago. I was a bit concerned,  as always, of my blood sugar, because I'd had gestational diabetes. It was elevated a bit. My vitamin D was extremely low. My Dr has ordered an 8 week course of 52,000 mg once/week, then a follow up. I've only done a quick search. It's prevalent in children with psychosis. Well. It causes fatigue, confusion, and depression. I told my psychiatrist at my last visit that my memory has gotten really worse. He ordered an MRI, from my regular Dr, which I'm still waiting for. It appears people with depression and anxiety have a lower level of vitamin D. It will also make you insulin resistant. It's sounding like a Catch 22. But, naturally, there are other serious repercussions of not having enough vitamin D. Our bodies don't produce it. We either have to get it from the sun or food. I don't recall off the top of my head how many Americans are deficient, but it was astounding. There are home tests available. It can cause cancer, dementia,thyroid problems, immune issues, osteoporosis, heart disease, stroke, and diabetes. I've includes two links; the first is info about vitamin D, the second contains foods rich in vitamin D.

http://www.womentowomen.com/healthynutrition/vitamind.aspx

http://nutritiondata.self.com/foods-000102000000000000000.html

by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:32 AM
Replies (11-20):
Krysden
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2012 at 1:52 PM
1 mom liked this

As less and less people spend time in the sun, more and more people are becomming vitamin D deficient!   I hope you are able to get it all cleared up. (=

cleanaturalady
by on May. 2, 2012 at 6:56 PM

I am right there with you, Cherie.  The normal range is 80-100, mine was NINE.  I've been on 50,000 IUs three times a week for a year now.  They just ran a new test on Monday, I hope the number have improved. 

e-doolittle
by Kelly on May. 3, 2012 at 12:39 AM
1 mom liked this
It crazy how many ppl are deficient! Hope the treatment helps. It did for a few ppl in my family
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
e-doolittle
by Kelly on May. 3, 2012 at 12:39 AM
Do you know where to get the home test?

Quoting mp3mom:

I'd had blood work done about a month ago. I was a bit concerned,  as always, of my blood sugar, because I'd had gestational diabetes. It was elevated a bit. My vitamin D was extremely low. My Dr has ordered an 8 week course of 52,000 mg once/week, then a follow up. I've only done a quick search. It's prevalent in children with psychosis. Well. It causes fatigue, confusion, and depression. I told my psychiatrist at my last visit that my memory has gotten really worse. He ordered an MRI, from my regular Dr, which I'm still waiting for. It appears people with depression and anxiety have a lower level of vitamin D. It will also make you insulin resistant. It's sounding like a Catch 22. But, naturally, there are other serious repercussions of not having enough vitamin D. Our bodies don't produce it. We either have to get it from the sun or food. I don't recall off the top of my head how many Americans are deficient, but it was astounding. There are home tests available. It can cause cancer, dementia,thyroid problems, immune issues, osteoporosis, heart disease, stroke, and diabetes. I've includes two links; the first is info about vitamin D, the second contains foods rich in vitamin D.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mp3mom
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:26 AM

I read any drug store.

Quoting e-doolittle:

Do you know where to get the home test?

Quoting mp3mom:

mp3mom
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Oh, wow, Kim! A YEAR? A prayer they've improved for you. I don't even know what mine was... yet; I'm going to find out. I've got a lousy GP.

Quoting cleanaturalady:

I am right there with you, Cherie.  The normal range is 80-100, mine was NINE.  I've been on 50,000 IUs three times a week for a year now.  They just ran a new test on Monday, I hope the number have improved. 

mp3mom
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:33 AM

I'm glad she found out! That's encouraging... her confusion lessens later. Thanks for sharing!

Quoting Motherhento10:

thanks for this. My mom is in her 70's & just got diagnosed w/ this & is getting treated the same way/amount you are. Hope it works for both of you. She seems realy confused when she takes it & then clears later in the week. 

momof2ex1
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:38 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree. I too have hypothyroid and I have battled vitamin D deficiency for years.

OP the vitamin D treatment will make you feel so much better and if you are battling with your weight, the treatments will help you there as well. I never could understand why I could lose 5lbs and then would gain it back and never really could lose any weight. But once I started treatment it became easier. Your brain gets confused and thinks it has to store the fat. Vitamin D tells your brain that you dont need to store fat. Good luck.

Quoting btamilee:

Vitamin D counts are often low in people with Thyroid issues.  That was one of the first tip offs to my doctor that I had Hypothryoidism.  I am sorry that you are having issues....hoping things improve for you!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof2ex1
by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:57 AM
1 mom liked this
This is very true which Goes with depression as well. I dont go out because of skin cancer and my loathing of sun block.

Quoting Krysden:

As less and less people spend time in the sun, more and more people are becomming vitamin D deficient!   I hope you are able to get it all cleared up. (=

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Saille717
by on May. 5, 2012 at 3:07 PM
1 mom liked this
My DH took high dose VitD a while back. Now we're both on maintenance doses of 2000iu/day. In the winter I give my son 400iu/day. Living this far north nobody gets enough.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)