Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Using Herbs to fight against UTI

Posted by on May. 2, 2012 at 7:09 AM
  • 10 Replies

(NaturalNews) A urinary tract infection is almost exclusively caused by bacteria that travel to the bladder through the urethra, according to the University of Maryland Medical Center. The bacteria clings to the urethra's opening and multiplies. Sometimes, bacteria travels to the kidneys, but this is rare. The most common culprit isEscherichia coli(E. coli), according to New Mexico State University.

Urinary tract infection symptoms

UTIs may cause different symptoms in some people even if caused by the same infection. According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, symptoms include:

• Pain, a burning sensation or feeling of urgency during urination
• Increased need to urinate
• Blood or pus in urine
• Chills
• Fever
• Pain during sex
• Nausea
• Malaise
• Foul smelling urine
• Abdominal cramps
• Lower abdominal pain
• Pain or burning during urination

Mustard oils for UTI treatment

Mustard oils derived from horseradish root and the nasturtium herb can be used as treatment for UTI, according to a 2006 study published in theArzneimittel-Forschungjournal. The study found that a combination of extracts from horseradish and nasturtium, two plants from the mustard family containing volatile mustard oils as the active ingredients, demonstrated antimicrobial properties, meaning they kill or inhibit the growth of microorganisms like bacteria. Researchers stated that the combination of these two supplements is a rational treatment for UTI and upper respiratory infections.

In a similar study published in theArzneimittel-Forschungjournal that same year, participants took either antibiotics or an herbal drug combining horseradish and nasturtium. The group who took the antibiotics experienced a 87.9 percent decrease in symptoms versus 81.2 percent in patients who took the herbal drug. However, researchers found that the herbal drug had a clear advantage because the participants taking the supplement needed fewer supportive procedures and administration of concurrent medication.

Grapeseed extract

Grapeseed extract may also be an effective treatment for UTI and other infections. The supplement promotes activity to fight bacteria that are causes of urinary tract infections.

Grapeseed extract also has antifungal and antiviral properties to treat infections caused by fungi or viruses.The University of Maryland Medical Centerrecommends taking 100 milligram capsules or five to 10 drops of liquid grapeseed extract three times a day for treating infections.

Ineffectiveness of antibiotics

Up to 40 percent of UTIs recur in women within six months and up to 50 percent within one year using traditional treatments, according to the University of Maryland Medical Center. Infections are usually caused by the same bacteria. Antibiotics only suppress the bacteria temporarily, allowing for another infection to strike again soon.

Continuing to take herbs, such as cranberry and horseradish, may prevent another infection by killing new bacteria that cause UTIs. Goldenseal can stop bacteria from adhering to the bladder walls and reduce the likelihood of an infection.

Additional herbs that support the urinary health

According to New Mexico State University, there are several urinary support herbs, including:

• Agrimony
• Couchgrass
• Elder flower
• Juniper
• Horsetail
• Lady's mantle
• Plantain
• Saw palmetto
• Yarrow

Taking these herbs promotes overall urinary health. To specifically fightE. coliand resulting infections, people can use the following herbs:

• Calendula
• Chamomile
• Fennel
• Ginger
• Oregon grape root
• St. John's wort
• Thyme
• Uva ursi
• Yarrow

Learn more:http://www.naturalnews.com/035742_herbal_remedies_urinary_tract_infections_bacteria.html#ixzz1ti3Siclu

***Sabrina *~* wife to Matt  8/6/05*~*Mommy to Isaac 7/25/06, *~*Liam 7/30/08, *~* and Eban 6/24/10***

by on May. 2, 2012 at 7:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mypbandj
by Jen on May. 2, 2012 at 8:32 AM
Interesting. My dd is prone to uti's.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mp3mom
by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:55 AM
1 mom liked this

I can't believe e-coli can cause one. I didn't realize anti-biotics were so insufficient; though, I don't know why I find that so surprising, really. Thanks for the info!

SabrinaLC
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:00 AM

You know, I've only ever had one and I didn't have a single symptom.  The found it during a routine urine check during my second pregnancy.

Cranberry juice is suppose to help prevent them.  But since it's awful on it's own you can make your own cranberry juice cocktail by mixing cranberry juice with apple juice.  I think it's more specific than that but sounds like a good idea :-)

Quoting mypbandj:

Interesting. My dd is prone to uti's.

***Sabrina *~* wife to Matt  8/6/05*~*Mommy to Isaac 7/25/06, *~*Liam 7/30/08, *~* and Eban 6/24/10***

SabrinaLC
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:01 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm kinda unsure about antibiotics.  I hate when my kids are prescribed one, I feel like they could get better on their own.

You're welcome though.  Just trying to share things that I think I full of valuable information :-)

Quoting mp3mom:

I can't believe e-coli can cause one. I didn't realize anti-biotics were so insufficient; though, I don't know why I find that so surprising, really. Thanks for the info!

reneawesley
by on May. 2, 2012 at 1:39 PM
I find it surprising also.

Quoting mp3mom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
reneawesley
by on May. 2, 2012 at 1:40 PM
Thanks for posting.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cmorris1200
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2012 at 4:44 PM

E-coli can end from sex and poor wiping.  I agree that antibiotics suck at curing them.  I spent a summer on antibiotics every 3-4 weeks.  I am surprised that d-mannose wasn't mentioned because that is a common natural medicine for UTIs.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 3, 2012 at 5:47 AM

Interesting...I've had a few, but antibiotics took care of mine.

e-doolittle
by Kelly on May. 3, 2012 at 9:57 AM
UTIs suck. If you are prone to them, cycling two weeks on two weeks off of taking cranberry extracts works well to maintain good tract health and ward off the infections.

I'll have to remember these the next times get one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Liyoness
by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:11 AM

My youngest DD used to get them frequently, although she only gets them a couple times a year now.. I've never used antibiotics with her - I just crush up cranberry pills in almond butter and give her half in the morning and half in the evening. She's always been fine after 2-3 days.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN