Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Bug repellent

Posted by on May. 5, 2012 at 1:53 PM
  • 19 Replies
The mild winter here has left us with tons of bugs. Both I and youngest are getting bit every time we go outside. What is something safe for both of us? I'm not spraying my 2 yr old with off. Also what to put on the yard that is safe for people and pets?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 5, 2012 at 1:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
saltyalley1227
by on May. 5, 2012 at 1:54 PM
Here's a bump I've been wondering also!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Saille717
by on May. 5, 2012 at 3:01 PM
The only thing that works where I live are repellents with DEET. I know Avon has a non-DEET one as do other brands.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 6, 2012 at 7:44 AM

Yes, I was thinking the same thing here!

Quoting Saille717:

The only thing that works where I live are repellents with DEET. I know Avon has a non-DEET one as do other brands.

mp3mom
by on May. 6, 2012 at 8:28 AM

There's also a brand, "Bite Blocker",all natural. http://www.biteblocker.com/

Krysden
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2012 at 8:24 PM

If you are opposed to any chemical repellents for your daughter  I've heard attatching a bounce dryer sheet to a belt loop or something repels mosquitos.  If it's just the act of spraying it on her then you can always spray some insect repellent in your hand and pat it on her skin.   That way it's not a huge cloud & you can control the amount. 

Krysden
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Oh and as for you....... my husband started taking Super B complex after reading that certain B vitamins can help with mosquitos.   He honestly did notice a difference.

cleanaturalady
by on May. 6, 2012 at 9:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I make my own bug repellent.  It works really well.  I used citronella, lemongrass and lavender oil (I will have to go back and check proportions and stuff).  When you add essential oils to a water base, it is always a good idea to use a stabilizer/preservative.  I use vodka, but you can certainly just use rubbing alcohol as well. 

cmorris1200
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Patchoulli used to work when my girfriends and I would rollerblade in Fl.   We joked that when we came back, we smelled like "sweaty patchoulli" and no bugs (or anyone else for that matter) would want to be near us.

Kim- I would like that bug repellent recipe too.

cleanaturalady
by on May. 6, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Eucalyptus.  That's the oil I forgot.  I make mine in a spray, but you could certainly make it in a base of carrier oil and rub it on instead of spraying.  For a 4 oz bottle, I use about 1 Tbs vodka 10-15 drops citronella, 5-10 drops each of the other oils.  I use Now brand essential oils, which are a bit less potent than some essential oils, so know your oils. 

reneawesley
by on May. 6, 2012 at 9:22 PM
Thank you for the suggestions.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)