Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Chia seeds

Posted by on May. 7, 2012 at 11:44 AM
  • 10 Replies

Do you eat Chia Seeds?

One of the latest trends in health food is the chia seed. Chia is beginning to “superseed” flax in popularity because chia seeds are more nutritious, easier to use, and stay fresh longer —and they can be eaten whole or ground, or in the form of a gel, while still retaining all of their nutrients. But what is a chia seed and how do you use it?

If your only point of reference for the chia seed is the kitschy novelty Chia Pet, you’re not far off— it’s the same plant. Chia was first cultivated in Mayan and Aztec cultures thousands of years ago. The tiny chia seeds come in both black and white varieties (though there is virtually no difference in the nutrients between the two varieties).

Chia seeds are being touted as a superfood because they are a complete protein and a great source of fiber, antioxidants, and heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids.

However, like all seeds, chia seeds are calorie-dense, so we recommend sticking to 3 tablespoons (1 oz.) maximum per day. The flavor of chia is slightly nutty, though it can be so mild that you might not taste it at all. The seeds are extremely versatile and can be used in a variety of ways. When mixed with a liquid like water, juice, or yogurt, chia forms a natural mucilage, or gel, which can be used as a thickening agent.

If you’re looking to boost your fiber, protein, omega-3 or antioxidant intake, here are some interesting ways to start incorporating chia into your daily diet:

• Smoothies
    Chia seeds can be used as a natural thickener for smoothies. You can soak the whole seeds and add the chia gel to the other ingredients before blending or stir the seeds into your smoothie after blending. The whole chia seeds will add fiber and a crunchy texture to smoothies.

• Oatmeal
    Oatmeal is a great make-ahead meal for Phase 2 dieters that can be prepared overnight in a slow cooker for a quick take-along breakfast in the morning. Chia seeds can help thicken the mixture and provide a neutral-nutty flavor. Enjoy a cup of oatmeal with some chopped dried apples or cranberries, ground cinnamon, fat-free or 1% milk, and vanilla extract.

• Soups, Sauces, and Dressings
    Add chia seeds or gel to help thicken any soup or stew, sauce, or salad dressing and give it a nutritional boost. For example, chia can create a thicker consistency for a hot and sour soup or a chicken stew. It can be a great addition to yogurt-based sauces. And it can add protein, fiber, and essential fatty acids to your favorite vinaigrette.

• Baked Goods
    You can use chia gel to replace fats like butter or oil in baked goods. Just combine 1 tablespoon of chia seeds with 4 ounces of water to make the gel. It might take some experimenting before you strike the right balance in your baked goods, but chia can be a nutritious addition to whole-wheat breads, muffins, and scones, and even those special-occasion cakes.

• Meatballs and Burgers
    Chia can also help transform lean meatballs and burgers into more nutritious fare. Just give your chia seeds a spin in the spice grinder, blender, or coffee grinder before adding them.

• Desserts
    If you’re looking for a healthy way to satisfy your sweet tooth on Phase 2, chia seeds make an excellent ingredient for fruit and yogurt parfaits. Simply combine the chia seeds with fat-free Greek yogurt in a blender, and then layer the yogurt mixture with fruit of your choice in a parfait glass. Or you can simply sprinkle the seeds on top.
by on May. 7, 2012 at 11:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mp3mom
by on May. 7, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Where would you find them?

reneawesley
by on May. 7, 2012 at 12:34 PM
Interesting. I don't know if I'd eat them or not.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Krysden
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2012 at 12:44 PM

I've never eaten chia seeds

cleanaturalady
by on May. 7, 2012 at 5:25 PM

I totally misread that and thought it said chai, like chai tea until them mentioned the chia pet.  Duh. 

RoseWall
by on May. 7, 2012 at 8:11 PM

great post. i want to try these. i already add flax to many of my meals.

LostTheSlipper
by Member on May. 7, 2012 at 9:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting mp3mom:

Where would you find them?

Our local semi-health food store has them. They're in the baking aisle. Bob's Red Mill brand. About $8 a bag.

LostTheSlipper
by Member on May. 7, 2012 at 9:29 PM

I put them in smoothies and on yogurt. Not too bad.

squeekers
by on May. 7, 2012 at 9:43 PM

sorry, i cant picture chia as anything other than those goofy commercials that only come out during chrismas every year.

jmomma2003
by on May. 7, 2012 at 9:52 PM

you can buy them from the health food store...i have eaten them sprinkled in yogurt and oatmeal and even have had them in kombucha tea...they look like small poppy seeds and i store them in the fridge

darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 8, 2012 at 5:15 AM

Yeah, I don't think I would to be honest!

Quoting reneawesley:

Interesting. I don't know if I'd eat them or not.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)