Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Diet trouble.

Posted by on May. 8, 2012 at 2:15 AM
  • 20 Replies

so im having a problem with all of this diet stuff. Im looking for some examples of some meals that will help me lose weight, i feel i go to the store and pick out things that are good for me but never know what to make. any ideas?? im sick of just half skinless chicken breast and 3 sides of veggies. i like to experiment, but never have any good ideas.

by on May. 8, 2012 at 2:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
spearme
by on May. 8, 2012 at 4:10 AM
1 mom liked this
Try the paleo diet. And if you cut out Gluten even if you are not allergic you will probably eat better. It made me discover Quinoa. It's so yummy. You can find all sorts of healthy recipes using it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 8, 2012 at 5:15 AM
2 moms liked this

I'm not a fan of "diets" to be honest.  I'm a fan of lifestyle changes:)  Start making small changes and work your way up...you don't want to set yourself up for failure so work on small things each day.  Make sure your diet is full of veggies, fruits, whole grains, and lean protein...little to no processed food!  Drink LOTS of water!  Good luck mama!

emtgirl885
by on May. 8, 2012 at 6:53 AM

For breakfast, 2 scrambled eggs and a piece of fruit.

For lunch, grill some seasoned chicken and make a salad. Make tuna/chicken salad and instead of using bread, use celery sticks(like a dip).

For dinner, make chicken in the crockpot(marinated), shred it up and use it in tacos, burritos, veggie stir fry.

SabrinaLC
by on May. 8, 2012 at 7:29 AM

Diets are no good, what you need is a diet change

Sounds like you're eating boring food in an attempt to lose weight.  In my opinion that always fails.  You're going to get bored with your food and go back to what you were eating before.

So what you should do is starting eating things that are fresh.  The less legs it has, the better it is for you.  Do not eat things that are "fat-free" "low-fat" and even a lot of the "sugar-free" items are bad.

Stick with real foods such as fruits and vegetables.  Eat the things you use to eat but go healthier with it, learn about balance.  And definitely drink a lot of water!

Feel free to ask more questions in this group, we're all very helpful :-)

SabrinaLC
by on May. 8, 2012 at 7:33 AM

My opinion: Honestly gluten shouldn't be cut out unless there is an allergy.  

Plus, a lot of the time when people cut out gluten they start buying the 'gluten free' boxed items which are full of starch and calories.  Which can actually cause weight gain.

But eating quinoa and other grains is an awesome idea!  

Quoting spearme:

Try the paleo diet. And if you cut out Gluten even if you are not allergic you will probably eat better. It made me discover Quinoa. It's so yummy. You can find all sorts of healthy recipes using it.

***Sabrina *~* wife to Matt  8/6/05*~*Mommy to Isaac 7/25/06, *~*Liam 7/30/08, *~* and Eban 6/24/10***

mp3mom
by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Welcome. Check out our Recipe section... Tons of ideas!

cmorris1200
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2012 at 10:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I think most people focus on wheat and corn too much in general.  When they hear whole grain the first thing to mind is whole grain bread and pasta.  Where they would be off much better of making pilaf dishes.  They are ignorant that there a plethora of other grains: barley, buckwheat, amaranth, quinoa, millet, brown rice, wild rice, sorghum and teff.  (the last two I need to try.)

Quoting SabrinaLC:

Plus, a lot of the time when people cut out gluten they start buying the 'gluten free' boxed items which are full of starch and calories.  Which can actually cause weight gain.

Quoting spearme:

SabrinaLC
by on May. 8, 2012 at 11:03 AM

I agree that it is lack of knowledge on the subject of grains.

I have made cookies with teff flour, they were delicious!  

Quoting cmorris1200:

I think most people focus on wheat and corn too much in general.  When they hear whole grain the first thing to mind is whole grain bread and pasta.  Where they would be off much better of making pilaf dishes.  They are ignorant that there a plethora of other grains: barley, buckwheat, amaranth, quinoa, millet, brown rice, wild rice, sorghum and teff.  (the last two I need to try.)

Quoting SabrinaLC:

Quoting spearme:

***Sabrina *~* wife to Matt  8/6/05*~*Mommy to Isaac 7/25/06, *~*Liam 7/30/08, *~* and Eban 6/24/10***

darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 8, 2012 at 4:13 PM

I agree!  

Quoting mp3mom:

Welcome. Check out our Recipe section... Tons of ideas!

Alyson121
by Alyson on May. 8, 2012 at 8:50 PM

I LOVE teff.  I use it all the time.  Mostly to make injera bread (fermented East African flat bread) but i use it on other stuff too.  ;-)  

Quoting cmorris1200:

Quoting SabrinaLC:

Quoting spearme:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)