Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Very much in need of help...

Posted by   + Show Post

I am 43 years old, mother of 5, work part time. Life is very busy, even when "nothing is going on". I'm sure you can all agree!  I am overweight, a smoker, eat a terrible diet and cannot find any physical activity that appeals to me. My next attempt will be at bicycling and yoga. I love carbohydrates; it is daunting to consider an eating plan such as paleo.  Goals: Eat healthier foods consistently, avoid skipping meals, exercise consistently using activity avoiding joint pain, lose a few pounds, eliminate smoking.  I know small steps will get me there...I need some support and advice......feeling like this "mountain" is so high.  

Thanks for reading this and thank you in advance for any advice or guidance you can lend!!

by on May. 12, 2012 at 10:23 PM
Replies (11-20):
cmorris1200
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Good luck!!  You have gotten many good suggestions.   One step at a time.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 13, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Welcome to the group!  These ladies are right...one day at a time and one step at a time...you can do this!  Good luck!

SabrinaLC
by on May. 14, 2012 at 7:07 AM

To be honest, it's not going to be easy to change.  You've been doing the same thing for so long, it's just easier.

It sounds like for you, you should probably take the baby step approach.  To start with eating healthier find the most unhealthy things and omit those first.  Drink only water throughout the day, and drink it often.  Learn to cook.  Food from scratch is going to be much better for you thank something processed and in a box.  Find things you do like, eating healthy is NOT boring.

To avoid skipping meals, write them down, set a timer, do something to remind you that you should eat something every couple hours.  I generally eat every 3 - 3.5 hours during the day.  Sometimes I eat up to 5 times a day or more.  Start by eating breakfast within 30 minutes of waking up.  3 hours later, grab a piece of fruit or a small salad. etc...

Exercising consistantly is going to work like eating consistantly.  Schedule it into your day.  When do you sit and do 'nothing'?  My best time for working out is after my kids go to bed.  Usually I'd just sit on my butt with Dh and watch tv from 8pm until bed.  But we decided, together, that working out would happen before tv.  That works best for us.  Start with something like, Leslie Sansone Walk At Home.  Those are great workouts for starting.  She is also fun to walk with, she keeps talking the entire time and the miles go quickly.  She has mant different DVD's available.

By working out and losing a few pounds, that should help with joint pain.  You could also be lacking something, perhaps your vitamin D is low?  I recommend getting a physical and blood work from your doctor to check your overall health before beginning.

Smoking.  That is a hard one.  My Dh quit smoking cold turkey, it was amazing because I had never seen anyone do that and be successful.  He's going on 10 years without a cigarette!  It took my mom being hospitalized with really REALLY bad pnemonia for her to quit smoking.  Sadly, as soon as she could breath again she started back up.  You are going to need support of family and friends to be successful.  It's going to be tough, but I believe in you!

***Sabrina *~* wife to Matt  8/6/05*~*Mommy to Isaac 7/25/06, *~*Liam 7/30/08, *~* and Eban 6/24/10***

jaynemarie086
by on May. 14, 2012 at 8:46 AM

Weight Watchers! I gained 60 pounds with DS and only lost 40 after he was born. Finally, almost two years later, I joined WW against my better judgement (seriously, I need to pay someone to weigh me???) as a last resort and lost 22 pounds! I immediately got pregnant (seriously, immediately) and gained over 50 pounds. I joined again when DD was 9 days old and lost it all in less than 5 months!

The program allows you to eat whatever you want, in moderation. It also doesn't "require" exercise, but encourages it. However, you can lose weight without it.

mp3mom
by on May. 14, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Welcome. And you're right, baby steps. I'd write down realistic goals for yourself. You pretty much sound as though you've figured it out ;) We're here for a push or shove, if you need it, lol.

cleanaturalady
by Kim on May. 14, 2012 at 7:07 PM

I hope you're getting some good advice and feeling encouraged to make some changes.  I'm pulling for you.

karisma22
by Member on May. 14, 2012 at 7:54 PM
As you said one small step at a time. Just some tips that may help. Eat small frequent meals. Eat some protein and healthy fat (avocado,nuts, peanut or almond butter, ect) with each meal. Stay hydrated, drink water or tea. Don't drink soda, limit fruit juices. Eat whole grains with lots of fiber. Eat fruits and vegies. Avoid low fat/no fat products. They may be lower in fat, but they are higher in sugars and starches. Avoid artificial sweeteners and processed foods. Some sweeteners that you might consider are stevia, honey, agave nectar. Use extra virgin, first cold press olive oil or cocnut oil for cooking.

While many people will disagree I try to avoid high fructose corn syrup, canola oil, and soy products.

Hope this helps.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
punkypoo1988
by on May. 14, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Yes, small steps. I quit smoking first. That was definitely the hardest thing.

Exercising has never been too hard for me. I love step, weights, and now running.

Food is a challenge. I've done low fat and low carb and lost weight but ended up gaining it back. Now I'm counting calories, that way I can have a little of everything. I've been using myfitnesspal. It's wonderful. It's the first time I've ever been able to keep up with what I eat. And when I exercise, I know I can eat more. It's been slow but I know that way it's less likely to come back.

You can do it. Just set small goals and they will add up to big goals accomplished. :)

somuchlaundry
by on May. 14, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Whew!!   You guys are really helping me out!!  I have already incorporated the decrease in number of cig's per day. It turns out my vitamin D level is low so I am now going to begin a supplement. Started stretching and will begin bike riding very soon, (gotta get a seat for the little one to come along)...keep the suggestions coming, I am loving every one of them!!!

RoseWall
by on May. 14, 2012 at 9:56 PM

hugs

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)