Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Summer Skin Saver Day 1: Make your unwanted hair history

Posted by on May. 21, 2012 at 3:55 AM
  • 83 Replies

Hair removal is kind of a pain, but soft, smooth, stubble-free skin sure is nice -- especially in summer. Here's how to get the smoothest skin possible.

Shaving. Shaving is probably the cheapest, easiest, and least painful way to remove hair. The only downside is that it has to be done often because you’re just cutting the hair at the skin’s surface. Here are some tips for getting the closest shave possible every time:

• Exfoliate with a salt or sugar scrub the day before or a few days before you shave (never right before as your skin may be irritated).
  • Always use a sharp razor. Consider using a men's razor as they often have more blades for a closer shave.
  • Use a moisturizing shaving gel or cream -- or even hair conditioner -- to soften the hair. 
  • Rinse your razor often while shaving, and always rinse it clean when you’re done shaving. Leave it in a spot where it can dry thoroughly.
  • Replace the blade every 3-5 shaves.
  • If you shave in the shower, let your hair soften in the warm water for a a few minutes before you start shaving (and don’t forget to turn the water off while you shave to conserve resources!). 
  • Shave in the opposite direction of hair growth.
  • Rinse the shaved area, pat it dry, and apply body lotion or oil right away to seal in moisture.

Waxing. Waxing works by ripping the hair out from the root (ouch!), which is not exactly fun, but it will leave you smoother longer than shaving. It is usually more expensive, too, especially if you go to a salon. But waxing can be done at home as well. Here are some suggestions for waxing well.

For home treatment: 

• Let hair grow out ¼ to ½ inch so there’s enough hair there for the wax to grip and pull out.
  • Do not exfoliate right before or right after waxing (the waxing itself exfoliates the skin, and afterwards it’s very sensitive).
  • Clean and thoroughly dry the area you’re planning to wax. You can even sprinkle a little baby powder on the area so it’s as dry as possible before waxing.
  • Follow the directions on the package for the wax you’re using.
  • Spread the wax in thin layers in the direction of hair growth.
  • Pat the cloth strips down firmly in the direction of hair growth, and then pull the strip off quickly in the opposite direction.
  • Don't go over the same section too many times; you'll just irritate the skin and potentially cause bruising.

For salon treatment: 

• Let hair grow out ¼ to ½ inch so there’s enough hair there for the wax to grip and pull out. 
  • Do not exfoliate right before or right after waxing (the waxing itself exfoliates the skin, and afterwards it may be irritated).
  • For sensitive areas like the bikini line, after waxing, clean the area with soap and water, hydrogen peroxide, or rubbing alcohol, pat it dry, and follow up with an antibiotic ointment like Neosporin. 
  • Be sure any salon you go to is clean and the person doing the waxing is a certified aesthetician – she should not dip the same applicator stick back into the wax once it’s been applied. 

Whether you're waxing at home or salon-style, try to avoid doing it during the week before your period when it’s likely to be more painful.

Chemical Depilatories. Chemical depilatories such as Nair, are easy to use, pretty painless, and the results are very similar to shaving. The cream works by weakening the hair so it is easily rubbed off with a damp cloth or towel. Some good tips to keep in mind:

• Get the right cream for the right area – the stuff for your face is likely gentler than the one for your legs. 
  • Do a spot test before doing the whole area in case you are sensitive to the cream.
  • Follow the directions on the box for the product you're using and be sure to leave the cream on for the right amount of time.
  • Wet and wring out a wash cloth or towel to use to remove the cream and apply a bit of pressure so you're sure to rub off all the hair. Rinse and wring the cloth in between rubs. 
  • Rinse the area thoroughly after removing the hair and follow up with a gentle moisturizer. 

Do you hate hair removal? (Silly question?!) What’s your preferred de-fuzzing method? Got any great tips?!

sexyTo sign up for the Summer Skin Saver, click here.

by on May. 21, 2012 at 3:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ballerina.2006
by Bronze Member on May. 21, 2012 at 4:05 AM
I shave in the shower with conditioner then use my electric for any missed spots (it happens!).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 21, 2012 at 5:20 AM

I just use a razor in the shower or bath and then moisturize...nothing too special:)

SabrinaLC
by on May. 21, 2012 at 7:08 AM

I mainly just shave in the shower but occasionally I'll get out the wax.   The hair on the backs of my upper leg is so hard to get rid of, sometime there is a combination of shaving, waxing and tweezing going on! :-(

emtgirl885
by on May. 21, 2012 at 9:15 AM
I shave in the shower with shaving cream and a razor. I get my eyebrows and lip waxed at the salon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Slademom09
by on May. 21, 2012 at 9:27 AM
I usually just shave in the shower with a shaving creme and then moisturize. I have gotten my legs waxed once and I loved it but ouch and it was a bit expensive.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Diddles.
by on May. 21, 2012 at 9:31 AM
I shave in the shower. I will definitely try out the salt or sugar scrub to see if that helps. I'm not a fan of waxing or chemicals so shaving it is! I do love Dh's razor, but my Intuition razor rocks as well!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama2b100808
by on May. 21, 2012 at 9:33 AM
I am a shaver in the shower then lotion after.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Juanita679
by on May. 21, 2012 at 9:35 AM
bump

PhyllisGB
by on May. 21, 2012 at 9:37 AM

I used to shave in shower for convenience but it makes my legs too white -- I can barely tan as it is.  So, I use an electric shaver every other day.

UGH -- I just noticed a hair on my chin.  Distraught!  I'm 58 & way past menopause, so maybe it's from stopping hormones?  :*(

lismore
by on May. 21, 2012 at 9:38 AM
Thanks for the tips.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)