Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Sugar Detox Day 1: Assess Your Intake

Posted by on May. 31, 2012 at 10:46 AM
  • 235 Replies
1 mom liked this

The American Heart Association reports that the average American adult consumes 22 teaspoons of added sugar (added, meaning not the sugar that naturally occurs in foods like fruit) each day, or 150 lbs -- 150 lbs! -- of sugar per year. Their recommended amount? 6 teaspoons per day. (One teaspoon of granulated sugar equals about 4 grams -- 4.2 to be exact -- of sugar. Thanks, Razmataz426, for letting us know!)

Added sugar is found in packaged foods like cookies, cakes, and candy, and drinks like soda, sports drinks, and fruit juices. It’s also in less obvious things like breads, salad dressings, and frozen dinners. Basically, sugar is lurking everywhere, and it may be the reason you can’t lose those last 10 lbs, why you’re feeling tired, or the cause of your sugar cravings. All this sugar is just not good for us!

So, how do you know how much added sugar you’re consuming? Start a food diary.

Today, keep a detailed record of everything that crosses your lips: meals, beverages, including your morning coffee (as well as how much sugar and cream you add), snacks, gum, etc, and keep track of the total grams of sugar listed on any packaged foods you eat. For foods and drinks you’re not sure about, try looking up their nutritional information here.

You can start your food diary in the replies below and include whatever you've eaten so far today; then stop back each time you eat or drink anything. This will help you learn to keep track of how much sugar you're taking in on a daily basis, and give you a place to continue keeping track throughout the rest of our detox as we eliminate the worst of the sugary offenders. Also, please note: plain fresh or frozen fruit does not count.

So, how much sugar are YOU eating? Tell us in the replies below!

icecreamTo sign up for the 7 Day Sugar Detox, click here.

by on May. 31, 2012 at 10:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CoolMommyofboys
by on May. 31, 2012 at 11:13 AM

I'll start :)             we started the Southbeach diet on Monday btw...I have cheated some though

I'm just going to post after I eat...I'll update this post as the day goes on

so far I've had...

two fried eggs

one piece of Canadian bacon  (the pkg says there is less than one gram of sugar per three slices)

water

tomato bake- whole tomato, garlic, half cup Parmesan cheese, cup of mozzarella cheese

salad- lettuce, orange and yellow bell pepper, purple onion, celery, parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese and I measured out two table spoons of dressing so that was 2 grams of sugar

now I'm snacking on roasted red pepper hummus and crackers- they say O grams of sugar though- they are Rosemary something?  I forget- I don't have the box here with me

left over steak, corn on the cob  UGH frozen the "extra sweet" kind- 4 grams of sugar

I also cracked and ate the last Oreo (there was only one left and I didn't want the boys fighting over it LOL) they have 13 grams per 2 cookies- so I guess I had 6.5 grams

I'm now eating some celery and hummus

My total sugar today was...12.5 grams

razmataz426
by on May. 31, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Perfect timing--I haven't drown myself in chocolate yet!

8oz. sweet tea, 23g sugar (OMG--already the recommended daily amount--this is going to be much harder than I thought)!
Metamucil, 9g sugar
water
banana
grapes, about 40

(I didn't know how many grams of sugar are in a teaspoon, so I looked it up and this is what I found: One teaspoon of granulated sugar equals about 4 grams (4.2 to be exact) of sugar)--just in case anyone else was wondering):

4 handfuls peanuts "8g"
banana
flavored yogurt, 26g

small steak.
flavored noodles, "7g"
green beans

grapes, 2 small handfuls

totally blow it:
about 1 1/2 cups vanilla ice cream, "30g"
chocolate syrup, "20g"

water only to drink

Grand Total = 123 (LOL!) embarrassed mini

iowamommy3
by on May. 31, 2012 at 11:36 AM
4 moms liked this

I just broke up with pop, last week.  I think that will help quite a bit! :)

MdMom289
by on May. 31, 2012 at 11:39 AM

2 cups coffee with 2 packets of truvia and 2 Tbsp Natural Bliss Sweet Cream. (Total 10g sugar, 70 calories) from the creamer.

Breakfast: Banana, 1 carrot, 1 celery stalk, spinach, frozen berries and about 6oz. almond milk.

Lunch: 1 cup organic pepper toasted tomato soup with a 6 inch "sub". 2 slices low sodium turkey breast (nitrate and preservative free, avocado, tomato and spinach in between two leafs of romaine. (12g sugar from tomato soup).

Dinner: I made Weber real molasses bbq sauce all natural, no corn syrup (6g sugar) crock pot pulled bbq chicken breast and cannellini beans. Brown rice I made a large romaine, radish, carrot and cucumber salad and placed a few Tbsps of brown rice and about 1/4-1/2 cup pulled chicken on top. And sprinkled some shredded cheddar cheese.

Desert: 1/2 cup ice cream (17g sugar)

Late night: 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (16g sugar).

About 61g sugar so far from processed stuff. Not including the fruit.

That's over 15tsp of sugar!! I really need to cut way back on my processed stuff..

AmberMerrell
by on May. 31, 2012 at 11:40 AM
1 cup of cheerios- 1g, 1 cup 2% milk- 12g, banana, & water.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama2b100808
i have had dry cereal and an apple. only 2 glasses of water
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anikahaynes1
Oatmeal made with water

Glass of water

Glass of decaf tea with a bit of crystal light added.

Its only 1130am..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soontobemommie3
by Member on May. 31, 2012 at 11:40 AM
I just had a cherry dr. Pepper. :( I haven't eaten all day. I know I know. I'll find my willpower to eat and kick the soda soon....I hope. That's why I signed up!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bec94
by on May. 31, 2012 at 11:41 AM
I'm keeping track of my food on myfitnesspal. I'll post my sugar intake later :-)

Edit: well it says I had 60g of sugar today. Myfitnesspal allows me 39g. The majority of that was coffee creamer. I didn't drink 1 diet coke today, but I overdid the coffee :-/.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jewels5525
by on May. 31, 2012 at 11:41 AM

I don't add any additional sugar to anything, but i know i am bad with the sweets, (just had a small handful of jelly beans this morning).  I do however try to be conscious about how much sweets i eat, and buy sugar free when available. 

This will be interesting to see:

This morning-Bananna, Quaker instant oatmea.

Snack-plain yogurt

Lunch-(brought with me) two hard boiled eggs and a bowl of baby spinage, apple

Earlier-cheat i know- pile small jelly beans.

Ok-bad me, went back for some M&Ms handful.  My secretary keeps candy on her desk, i try to stay away but once i go for it once, kind of ruins the day.

Afternoon snack-pinapple

Dinner-steamed fish, potatoes, yams, dumplings.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)