Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Sugar Detox Day 1: Assess Your Intake

Posted by   + Show Post

The American Heart Association reports that the average American adult consumes 22 teaspoons of added sugar (added, meaning not the sugar that naturally occurs in foods like fruit) each day, or 150 lbs -- 150 lbs! -- of sugar per year. Their recommended amount? 6 teaspoons per day. (One teaspoon of granulated sugar equals about 4 grams -- 4.2 to be exact -- of sugar. Thanks, Razmataz426, for letting us know!)

Added sugar is found in packaged foods like cookies, cakes, and candy, and drinks like soda, sports drinks, and fruit juices. It’s also in less obvious things like breads, salad dressings, and frozen dinners. Basically, sugar is lurking everywhere, and it may be the reason you can’t lose those last 10 lbs, why you’re feeling tired, or the cause of your sugar cravings. All this sugar is just not good for us!

So, how do you know how much added sugar you’re consuming? Start a food diary.

Today, keep a detailed record of everything that crosses your lips: meals, beverages, including your morning coffee (as well as how much sugar and cream you add), snacks, gum, etc, and keep track of the total grams of sugar listed on any packaged foods you eat. For foods and drinks you’re not sure about, try looking up their nutritional information here.

You can start your food diary in the replies below and include whatever you've eaten so far today; then stop back each time you eat or drink anything. This will help you learn to keep track of how much sugar you're taking in on a daily basis, and give you a place to continue keeping track throughout the rest of our detox as we eliminate the worst of the sugary offenders. Also, please note: plain fresh or frozen fruit does not count.

So, how much sugar are YOU eating? Tell us in the replies below!

icecreamTo sign up for the 7 Day Sugar Detox, click here.

by on May. 31, 2012 at 10:46 AM
Replies (21-30):
mommyof1262
by on May. 31, 2012 at 11:46 AM

I usually stay away from Sugar I drink my coffee and tea's without sugar. I don't remember the last time I had any soda or sweetened tea anyways this is what I had this morning for breakfast

pork with salsa and a handful of almonds and black coffee. (yes I know odd breakfast) but I ran 4 miles and did my Kettlebell 500 workout so I needed some protein afterwards.

Babyblueyes24
by on May. 31, 2012 at 11:48 AM

So far a sip of dr pepper and just poured a cup of coffee with about a teaspoon of creamer.

Here2NspireYou
by on May. 31, 2012 at 11:49 AM
Im satisfied! I had 2 scoops of my Body by Vi shakes, with no fruit today and almond milk. For breakfast. For lunch in having grilled chicken breast over salad. Id say that's good. And the hardest thing for me.. no soda!! :) but that's okay, in drinking Mio all day which i love!! No sugar!! Today will be a successful day in my journal!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KaylaMillar

So far i've had a peice of pb toast and some water. 

mommybug77
Too much, I know that all ready :-)
carrieo1
by on May. 31, 2012 at 11:51 AM

2 cups of coffee, drizzle of honey in both,  2 boiled eggs, 1/2 yogurt, greek, = 10 g of sugar, whole grain totistos, no sugar, less that 1 gram, now what does a gram of sugar equal, anyone know. so far so good, i crave sugar, im not going to the store. lol. carrieo1

SexiSeaBeeWife
by on May. 31, 2012 at 11:51 AM
So far no sugar 2day but its still early lol...I've eaten doritos, guacamole, and a tablespoon on sour cream!!! That was breakfast I'm a wired eater!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Biggirl735
by on May. 31, 2012 at 11:52 AM

so far ive had 3 tsp of raw sugar on a fried tortilla for a snack..other than that ive been good..

ohwrite
by on May. 31, 2012 at 11:54 AM

This may be cheating, but I started South Beach yesterday, so no sugar. So far today I've had:

Breakfast- Baked Eggs and water.

HaLeYsMoMmY2011
by on May. 31, 2012 at 11:59 AM

1 blueberry cheesecake muffin- 11 g sugar

1 bananna nut muffin- 12 g sugar

water

4 oz coke 13 g sugar (YES I KNOW: BAD!)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN