Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Sugar Detox Day 1: Assess Your Intake

Posted by   + Show Post

The American Heart Association reports that the average American adult consumes 22 teaspoons of added sugar (added, meaning not the sugar that naturally occurs in foods like fruit) each day, or 150 lbs -- 150 lbs! -- of sugar per year. Their recommended amount? 6 teaspoons per day. (One teaspoon of granulated sugar equals about 4 grams -- 4.2 to be exact -- of sugar. Thanks, Razmataz426, for letting us know!)

Added sugar is found in packaged foods like cookies, cakes, and candy, and drinks like soda, sports drinks, and fruit juices. It’s also in less obvious things like breads, salad dressings, and frozen dinners. Basically, sugar is lurking everywhere, and it may be the reason you can’t lose those last 10 lbs, why you’re feeling tired, or the cause of your sugar cravings. All this sugar is just not good for us!

So, how do you know how much added sugar you’re consuming? Start a food diary.

Today, keep a detailed record of everything that crosses your lips: meals, beverages, including your morning coffee (as well as how much sugar and cream you add), snacks, gum, etc, and keep track of the total grams of sugar listed on any packaged foods you eat. For foods and drinks you’re not sure about, try looking up their nutritional information here.

You can start your food diary in the replies below and include whatever you've eaten so far today; then stop back each time you eat or drink anything. This will help you learn to keep track of how much sugar you're taking in on a daily basis, and give you a place to continue keeping track throughout the rest of our detox as we eliminate the worst of the sugary offenders. Also, please note: plain fresh or frozen fruit does not count.

So, how much sugar are YOU eating? Tell us in the replies below!

icecreamTo sign up for the 7 Day Sugar Detox, click here.

by on May. 31, 2012 at 10:46 AM
Replies (211-220):
WheelerWife
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 3:24 PM
Too much. ;)
SparklingHope
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 4:10 PM

I have a soda problem too..I hear ya..3 Mt Dew cans of 46 g of sugar a piece.. 46 x 3 is a 138 gs of sugar with just that alone..God..I feel sick. Well..technically still 2 1/2..I don't even wanna finish the half of can that would make it 3 now.. I really need a blender to start making smoothies. :/

Quoting soontobemommie3:

I just had a cherry dr. Pepper. :( I haven't eaten all day. I know I know. I'll find my willpower to eat and kick the soda soon....I hope. That's why I signed up!

soontobemommie3
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 4:12 PM
At least im not alone! Lol

Quoting SparklingHope:

I have a soda problem too..I hear ya..3 Mt Dew cans of 46 g of sugar a piece.. 46 x 3 is a 138 gs of sugar with just that alone..God..I feel sick. Well..technically still 2 1/2..I don't even wanna finish the half of can that would make it 3 now.. I really need a blender to start making smoothies. :/

Quoting soontobemommie3:

I just had a cherry dr. Pepper. :( I haven't eaten all day. I know I know. I'll find my willpower to eat and kick the soda soon....I hope. That's why I signed up!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Steleto
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 4:21 PM

I had 1 can coke, 1 slice of pizza, 2 string cheeses, 1/2 a piece of steak with scalloped potatoes & 5 cups of water I also walked 6 miles

momtolittleones
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Try not to feel too bad. I have this very same problem. My diet is horrible and I need to clean it up.

Quoting soontobemommie3:

Jesus is my Saviour!!!!!!!!!!!

mnvixen
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Wow I haven't had the time to get on the computer. I am sorry. I have to try to remember what I ate this day

Breakfast 1 pop tart didn't really have lunch but I did have some Special K chips.w/ sea salt. about 10. Supper was fish sticks and whole wheat noodles w/ butter and garlic salt. And a had a sip of pineapple malt. and a mini brownie

marisab
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 10:48 AM

ok ill start

i ahave been cutting oy soda but still drinking it a bit this is also week before payday so a lil low on food so not typical meals today.

breakfast 1 bowel cocoa krispies

1 cup oj

lunch 1 philly steak sandwick

1 glass omilk

dinner

1 cup of soup

1 glass pepsi

snack cheese and crackers and 1 glass pepsi

Mrs.Tirado
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 11:08 AM
I woke up like 3am and ate Great Grains Cranberry/ alnmond Crunch which has 13g sugar and the milk has 11g sugar. V8 Splash Tropical blend has 16g sugar. Then around 9am I ate 2 Thomas Honey wheat English muffins which is 2g sugar per muffin so that means i had 4g sugar. The cream cheese i put on the muffins was 2g sugar per 2 tbsp so that was also 4g sugar and drank Tropicana orange juice which has 16g sugar. I snacked on fruits and drank water til dinner and because i was so busy i ate chinese food ( thick n flat noodles with shrimps, brocoli, carrots and cabbage).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mp3mom
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 4:12 PM

I had a Chai Tea.

littlest.angel
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Entirely too much!! I have had mostly soda today and some chilli with cheese.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN