Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Sugar Detox Day 1: Assess Your Intake

Posted by   + Show Post

The American Heart Association reports that the average American adult consumes 22 teaspoons of added sugar (added, meaning not the sugar that naturally occurs in foods like fruit) each day, or 150 lbs -- 150 lbs! -- of sugar per year. Their recommended amount? 6 teaspoons per day. (One teaspoon of granulated sugar equals about 4 grams -- 4.2 to be exact -- of sugar. Thanks, Razmataz426, for letting us know!)

Added sugar is found in packaged foods like cookies, cakes, and candy, and drinks like soda, sports drinks, and fruit juices. It’s also in less obvious things like breads, salad dressings, and frozen dinners. Basically, sugar is lurking everywhere, and it may be the reason you can’t lose those last 10 lbs, why you’re feeling tired, or the cause of your sugar cravings. All this sugar is just not good for us!

So, how do you know how much added sugar you’re consuming? Start a food diary.

Today, keep a detailed record of everything that crosses your lips: meals, beverages, including your morning coffee (as well as how much sugar and cream you add), snacks, gum, etc, and keep track of the total grams of sugar listed on any packaged foods you eat. For foods and drinks you’re not sure about, try looking up their nutritional information here.

You can start your food diary in the replies below and include whatever you've eaten so far today; then stop back each time you eat or drink anything. This will help you learn to keep track of how much sugar you're taking in on a daily basis, and give you a place to continue keeping track throughout the rest of our detox as we eliminate the worst of the sugary offenders. Also, please note: plain fresh or frozen fruit does not count.

So, how much sugar are YOU eating? Tell us in the replies below!

icecreamTo sign up for the 7 Day Sugar Detox, click here.

by on May. 31, 2012 at 10:46 AM
Replies (221-230):
muslimahpj
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 2:48 AM

Oh, I know I need to cut way back. Some days are good other days, not so much. I just need to overhaul my diet.

ZakkarysMom
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 4:35 PM
Today Ive had ginger snap cookies, Raisin Bran cereal with 2% milk, a Luna nutritional bar, apple bread, and orange juice. (When Im depressed I dont eat that much.)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jrandcrystal
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 7:10 PM

So I just got on here since Ive signed up so Im a little late.  Have had a super busy weekend....So since Im just now starting my diet today has been terrible....Ive had:

2 cups of coffee with 1% low fat milk and two teaspoons of sugar in each (that was my breakfast)

fried zuchini and a chef salad with ham, cheese, boiled eggs, lots of ranch, tomato, cucs, (for lunch)

fixing to eat for dinner balsamic chicken, potatoes with butter and 1% milk and some kind of veggie havent decided yet.

hockytwndhampyr
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Bacon Egg & Cheese Bagel with 2 hashbrowns and a large Coke. I will admit Coke is my biggest vice along with sweet tea. Doesn't help that I work at McDonald's either.

tab8808
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Im just starting the Sugar detox...today is my day one keeping track of everything...and boy this will be interesting...

Wendys egg sandwich in a wrap... potato hash browns and coffee only one sugar and milk instead of cream...

2 8 oz of water

Nevermore-rvn
by on Jun. 5, 2012 at 9:07 AM

Too much sugar in my coffee and tea, need to cut back. Sugar cereal is cheaper:(, gummies (I have a terrible weakness for them lol), and Little Debbie sweets:( lol

christi34
by on Jun. 5, 2012 at 5:27 PM

I am eating too much sugar. I will start using a journal to show what i have had to eat and the sugar/calories in the food I eat.

rockinmomnwife
by on Jun. 5, 2012 at 8:42 PM

breakfast-special k with strawberries

lunch-leftover vermicelli pasta with garlic, parm cheese and heavy cream

dinner-baked fish, mac and cheese and salad.

drinks and snacks-diet sprite, grapes, mini chocolate bar 

mom-1kids-3
by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 7:43 PM

I had some fresh fruit - grapes, watermelon, apples, kiwi, strawberries, & pineapple.  PB&J sandwich. Grilled chicken breast with a salad. 

I drank water, 1 diet soda, and 2 cups of green tea with splenda. 

kgalvano
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 8:22 PM

i egg omelet with cheese and two pieces of toast with butter for breakfast

1 glass of apple juice

chocolate donut and glass of giner ale

2 bottles of water

two pieces of pizza with cheese sausage pepperoni spegatti sauce with dipping pizza sauce and parmasan cheese

mac and cheese with a piece of shake n bake chicken and bottle of water

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN